Procycling thread

myshkin

Cavendish is a great sprinter and deserves tremendous credit for all the stages he's won. But he's never going to win a big stage race like Le Tour, Giro, Vuelta etc and as such can never be regarded as one the absolute top cyclists out there. For me winning one mountain top stage to Alpe D'huez beats any number of flat sprints you want to mention. Nothing against Cavendish. Just feel he gets too much attention when in this sort of race he's out the back half the time.

Yeah so did Mario Cipollini, who pulled out of the race as soon as it went uphill, at least Cav tries. He has his strengths and uses them well. You do know he has won Milan-San Remo, one of the biggest single-day classics, right? Any exposure cycling gets in Britain is good IMO, but like it or not, Cav is the flag-bearer for British cycling. Winning the Green Jersey would be huge for the sport in Britain.

Cavendish is a great sprinter and deserves tremendous credit for all the stages he's won. But he's never going to win a big stage race like Le Tour, Giro, Vuelta etc and as such can never be regarded as one the absolute top cyclists out there. For me winning one mountain top stage to Alpe D'huez beats any number of flat sprints you want to mention. Nothing against Cavendish. Just feel he gets too much attention when in this sort of race he's out the back half the time.

well said sir,except the nothing against cavendish bit;hes a c**t

i think youll find he has won a stage

:lol: totally forgot about that back in the first week when Contador gave us the hilarious sprint without going onto the drops.

Starting to think that Schleck might just hold onto the lead here, gonna be very close. Would love to think Voeckler could put in the TT of his life & get on the podium, not impossible, as Frank has had some horrific effort at TTing in the past.

Contador should be a stick-on to get past Cunego & claim 5th in GC.

Evans hints at Schleck/Leopard being juiced up.

Cycling News

a load of shite.

their chase on the flat and the base of the climb was a joke pathetic. if he was juiced up they would have took 2 mins 30 out of him in the final 10km.

I sometimes wonder if the Schleck's know wha they are doing. It's all well and good marking Evans on the early climbs, but they knew they had to take time out of him today. We saw when Evans attacked Andy could live with him, so why did he not make a move himself?

he was fucking knackered.

i think the 57 secs should be plenty fot the TT. i think evans will take 35 out of him and about 1,10 out of frank.

He wasn't. He managed to stay with Cuddles when he went today. Don't forget that Evans did probably did as much work as Andy yesterday and today. Yet he still had the guts to go for it in the last 5k today despite being knackered himself. I really hope he goes on to win it now to be honest.

you either have to believe that

(a) andy schleck was too knackered to attack

or

(b) andy schleck isn't really that bothered about winning the tour de france.

the only two possibilities.

you either have to believe that

(a) andy schleck was too knackered to attack

or

(b) andy schleck isn't really that bothered about winning the tour de france.

the only two possibilities.

A virtual 60K lone attack yesterday & a 92K covering of AC's attack today, you know what Cadel's thinking? Oh I forgot, it doesn't remotely resemble Landis.

Contador's showing is evidence of just how hard a Giro/Tour attempt is, considering others are purely targetting one GT in a season.

As much as I dislike Evans demeanour, I hope he takes MJ after tomorrows ITT.

Yeah so did Mario Cipollini, who pulled out of the race as soon as it went uphill, at least Cav tries. He has his strengths and uses them well. You do know he has won Milan-San Remo, one of the biggest single-day classics, right? Any exposure cycling gets in Britain is good IMO, but like it or not, Cav is the flag-bearer for British cycling. Winning the Green Jersey would be huge for the sport in Britain.

Bearing in mind Cipo's record 42 stage wins in the Giro & 3 Maglia Ciclamino. Proved he could get over the mountains as well. His reluctance to do this in the Tour was probably more down to Super Mario's extravagent persona (he once quit the Vuelta after the Prologue).

As for Cav, you only have to watch

. To see that top class sprinting is as impressive as that of climbing the Cols.

A virtual 60K lone attack yesterday & a 92K covering of AC's attack today, you know what Cadel's thinking? Oh I forgot, it doesn't remotely resemble Landis.

Contador's showing is evidence of just how hard a Giro/Tour attempt is, considering others are purely targetting one GT in a season.

As much as I dislike Evans demeanour, I hope he takes MJ after tomorrows ITT.

did you imagine this virtual 60km lone attack? in reality he went less than 20km without a domestique and evans took 2 mins 15 out of him in the final 10km. they would have caught him easily if they had worked together in the valley and at the base of the final climb.

today they finished together. i don't think you could say either of the two of them did more work.

i've already explained why i think thursday was nothing like landis, do you disagree?

did you imagine this virtual 60km lone attack? in reality he went less than 20km without a domestique and evans took 2 mins 15 out of him in the final 10km. they would have caught him easily if they had worked together in the valley and at the base of the final climb.

today they finished together. i don't think you could say either of the two of them did more work.

i've already explained why i think thursday was nothing like landis, do you disagree?

We obviously do disagree. As there were three teams (BMC,Euskatel & Saxo) Domestiques burnt off working in the valley. Yet Andy held them off whilst ploughing along in the front of a group of four! Sean Kelly described Andy's attack as suicide as "they'll catch him on the final climb for sure".

"Just on a numbers basis, with 20 to 30 kph block headwind up a valley, we are in a group of 40 with one to nine guys riding at the front, and they are in a group of four riding at the front. They really rode fast at the front, I don't quite understand how they made so much time," said Evans.

Has been pissing rain in Grenoble, Cancellara leads in with 57.15, nearly 1 min up on 2nd, though it is starting to clear up at the moment. Considering Tony Martin won the Dauphine stage on wet roads in 55.27, looks like it's not going to be Spartacus day.