Procycling thread

myshkin

Good stage today, Andy Schleck's attack was Landisesque.

it was nothing like landis.

he had two domestiques up the road to help him get up and down the penultimate climb and through the valley then the only reason he managed to stay away was that the chasers were a joke. no one pushed on the descent then you had dani navarro (knackered from the giro), brent bookwalter (not very good) and two euskaltel riders (the worst time trialers in the peloton) doing all the chasing on the flat bit. they then fannied about on the final climb until evans eventually realised it was up to him and then they took 2 mins 30 out of him and he was barely turning the pedals when he crossed the line.

landis went out the front on the first of 5 climbs and soloed 120km to win by 5 minutes even though caisse d'esperange, csc and t-mobile were all working together to chase him down. i think andy probably used his top up for this stage rather on the rest day like everyone else but today was nothing compared to stage 17 in 2006.

it'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. i'm guessing leopard will set a hard pace and try to isolate evans 2 on 1 on the alpe d'huez.

Edited by T_S_A_R

it was nothing like landis.

he had two domestiques up the road to help him get up and down the penultimate climb and through the valley then the only reason he managed to stay away was that the chasers were a joke. no one pushed on the descent then you had dani navarro (knackered from the giro), brent bookwalter (not very good) and two euskaltel riders (the worst time trialers in the peloton) doing all the chasing on the flat bit. they then fannied about on the final climb until evans eventually realised it was up to him and then they took 2 mins 30 out of him and he was barely turning the pedals when he crossed the line.

landis went out the front on the first of 5 climbs and soloed 120km to win by 5 minutes even though caisse d'esperange, csc and t-mobile were all working together to chase him down. i think andy probably used his top up for this stage rather on the rest day like everyone else but today was nothing compared to stage 17 in 2006.

it'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. i'm guessing leopard will set a hard pace and try to isolate evans 2 on 1 on the alpe d'huez.

I suspect Landis had taken a full does of EPO before that stage in '06...

It was a big stretch for ITV4 to say he'd be a big contender next year, though, because the peloton will never let him get such a big gap from a breakaway again.

Your mistake was to listen to, and believe the arseholes on ITV4. I think most of us know more than them.

And we don't repeat the previous sentence Phil Liggett says like Sherwin does every couple of minutes.

Don't think Contador will quit, he won't be racing again this season, and perhaps next, so he'll go on. Still two good chances of a stage victory for him, although David Millar and Tony Martin will prob be too much for him in the time trial.

Eurosport HD now for today's stage.

I wish I had a day off tomorrow for feet up in front of the telly.

I was on Alpe d'heuz when Pantani won there years ago. Its immense.

Edit for spell and to add that Grenoble will be great for the TT too.

Really?, I'm impressed.

I have a soft spot for Pantani and not just because he won both the Tour and the Giro in 1998, but I was actually in Italy and watching the Tour in 1998 and my hotel Barman was happy to tell everyone within earshot that I was Pantani's brother.

I did look like him then, however, he's dead and I'm about 3 stone heavier than I was then. :(

I was in Italy this summer and read Matt Rendell's book The Death Of Marco Pantani, I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't get into it, Pantani's still one of my heroes though.

Your mistake was to listen to, and believe the arseholes on ITV4. I think most of us know more than them.

And we don't repeat the previous sentence Phil Liggett says like Sherwin does every couple of minutes.

Woah, I never said I believed them. And I only watch ITV4 because I don't have Sky / cable.

Just finishing on eurosport. What a stage!

Cadel Evans totally fecked himself on that hill.

Did I hear him right when the commentator said the tougher side of the Galibier is tomorrow?

Did Cav finish in daylight?

he missed the cut off along with cancellera, hushovd, gilbert and around 80 others.

they all got docked 20 points but allowed to continue. i would have docked all their points :D

Ach well as long as he's there to roll around Paris.

If Contador dosen't pull something out in the next 6k he has lost the tour, with what will be a pathetic defence.

get a grip,whatever anyone might think of contador he has guts by the bucketload and his unsuccessful defence of the tdf this year has had as much to do with a stupid bitch stepping out on the road on stage 1 leaving him 1m40 or so behind(no obliging yellow jersey to neutralise the stage for him) from the outset as it has had to do with the schlecks.I didnt mind the schlecks prior to this year but andys whining has really pissed me off,if one of them wins i hope its not him

get a grip,whatever anyone might think of contador he has guts by the bucketload and his unsuccessful defence of the tdf this year has had as much to do with a stupid bitch stepping out on the road on stage 1 leaving him 1m40 or so behind(no obliging yellow jersey to neutralise the stage for him) from the outset as it has had to do with the schlecks.I didnt mind the schlecks prior to this year but andys whining has really pissed me off,if one of them wins i hope its not him

The main reason Contador isn't performing at his best is down to having riden and won the Giro in May.

Mrs.Contador?

The point I was making is that AC was furthest behind out of all of the GC conteneders, he had to take the race to them. So what exactly have we seen from AC? Nothing more that a couple of half arsed attacks and thats all. His defence of his title has been pathetic, he has just given up much easier than anyone expected.

Only Frank and Andy Schleck deserve the title as the only two guys who have actually done any racing.

Like it or not, Contadors defence of the TdF has been piss poor.

I suspect Landis had taken a full does of EPO before that stage in '06...

There was a great quote from Dick Pound, World Anti-Doping Agency Chief at the time:

"Landis's testosternone levels were 11 to 1! You'd think he'd be violating every virgin within 100 miles. How does he even get on his bicycle?"

Edited by Gyleman

92K to go and AC launches an attack.....that's more like it!!!! Immediately joined by the Schlecks. Evans and Voeckler both chasing to get on the wheel, with Voeckler really struggling.

Great start!!!! Finally AC has actually came out to race, he realises he has nothing to loose so why not?