Procycling thread

myshkin

I've never really followed the Tour much in the past, but I've been getting right into it this year. I don't know too much about it, but I really enjoyed the descent today.

I know Contador won it last year, so he'll be able to last the distance, but what's the story with Schleck? Does he have it in him to win the race?

just watching this now. gutted i missed watching it live, i'm off tomorrow as well i should have tried to get a swap.

a few thoughts.

evans looked as if he's about to die there. bad day for him just when i was actually starting to like him.

big jens voigt is a legend, he was ending himself to try and get over the top with andy.

great ride from sam sanchez as well, i hope he makes the podium as he's always entertaining and it'd be good to see euskatel achieve something for the first time in a good while.

wiggins:lol:

will andy be able to put time into contador before the itt? right now my money would be on no. amazing ride from both of them today.

also i disagree with the comment about riise above, he rode in an era where everyone took epo and any thing else going (he was up against pantani ffs) and he admitted it openly when he didn't have to. csc/saxo have been excellent over the past few years and i can't think of any riders they've had who have been busted.

I've never really followed the Tour much in the past, but I've been getting right into it this year. I don't know too much about it, but I really enjoyed the descent today.

I know Contador won it last year, so he'll be able to last the distance, but what's the story with Schleck? Does he have it in him to win the race?

He finished second last year, winning the young riders classification. He was only 4 minutes down last year, and he's looking good this year so it is possible he could win but I don't see it, he has lost a hugely important part of his team with his brother Franck retiring, so it'll be a struggle.

andy lost 1'35 on tt last year over 40km, this one is 50km and flatter though. on the otherhand andy is obviously in great shape and gaining confidence and mental attitude is one of the biggest factors in time trialing. i wouldn't rule andy out yet but the odds are against him, saxo are strong and are usually good tactically like getting voigt up ahead today but considering the strength of astana i don't think they'll crack easily.

i read that evans started the stage with a fractured elbow. that explains why he looked so weak, great effort from him all things considered.

He could have won it last year if he wasn't riding for his brother instead of himself. Or was is the other way around? Anyway, the way they marked Contador up Ventoux was laughable.

Fair play to you for taking an interest in the sport, but I think you've a lot to learn yet.

i don't know about that contador was very strong last year. andy challenged contador on ventoux in the final mountain stage and when he realised he wasn't going to beat him he went back to try and help frank podium which was the right decision imo.

if you don't like saxo because of riis what team do you like? there aren't many teams out there with no connection to doping.

perrerio didn't get picked for the astana tour squad. think he's retiring.

Edited by T_S_A_R

andy lost 1'35 on tt last year over 40km, this one is 50km and flatter though. on the otherhand andy is obviously in great shape and gaining confidence and mental attitude is one of the biggest factors in time trialing. i wouldn't rule andy out yet but the odds are against him, saxo are strong and are usually good tactically like getting voigt up ahead today but considering the strength of astana i don't think they'll crack easily.

i read that evans started the stage with a fractured elbow. that explains why he looked so weak, great effort from him all things considered.

Astana have a quality team, I think they'll have the upper hand if Contador ever needs a hand.

Cadel did have a bunch of blue tape around his arm, I though it was just muscle tape though.

i don't know about that contador was very strong last year. andy challenged contador on ventoux in the final mountain stage and when he realised he wasn't going to beat him he went back to try and help frank podium which was the right decision imo.

if you don't like saxo because of riis what team do you like? there aren't many teams out there with no connection to doping.

perrerio didn't get picked for the astana tour squad. think he's retiring.

Aw man. He was my favourite rider.

He finished second last year, winning the young riders classification. He was only 4 minutes down last year, and he's looking good this year so it is possible he could win but I don't see it, he has lost a hugely important part of his team with his brother Franck retiring, so it'll be a struggle.

Really? I think he's looked the strongest rider so far, looking slightly better than Contador as well. Loosing Frank has worked out well for Andy, Saxo Bank now have one single definitive leader. I still reckon he can do it. He only has 41 seconds so I expect him to reallyhave a go before the TT. If he can put another minute into Contador he should be just about able to hold him off.

Really? I think he's looked the strongest rider so far, looking slightly better than Contador as well. Loosing Frank has worked out well for Andy, Saxo Bank now have one single definitive leader. I still reckon he can do it. He only has 41 seconds so I expect him to reallyhave a go before the TT. If he can put another minute into Contador he should be just about able to hold him off.

I think Contador has looked good, matching whatever Schleck done really and hasn't looked that tested.

Losing Frank is good and bad, if he was still there I reckon Andy might have been ahead of him anyway and would have been the leader anyway, but still have Frank to help out.

As predicted, pretty boring race today, there is a break away 11 minutes ahead of the peloton with a couple of Frenchmen in it, so it looks good for the Bastille Day French win.

I think Contador has looked good, matching whatever Schleck done really and hasn't looked that tested.

Losing Frank is good and bad, if he was still there I reckon Andy might have been ahead of him anyway and would have been the leader anyway, but still have Frank to help out.

As predicted, pretty boring race today, there is a break away 11 minutes ahead of the peloton with a couple of Frenchmen in it, so it looks good for the Bastille Day French win.

Expect it to be much the same until the race hits the Pyrenees, when Schleck & Contador will size each other up again. Possiblitites for Cav getting a chance of a couple of sprint finishes as well. Would love to see somebody go out on the attack to Mende, ala Laurent Jalabert, but think it`ll be a stage much like todays.

Cav showing he is still interested at the end there.

Yet he decided against going for intermediate points. Good to see, but mibbe just flexing the legs after the mountains in anticipation of tomorrow, & reminding his rivals that he`s back to something approaching his best form.

Yet he decided against going for intermediate points. Good to see, but mibbe just flexing the legs after the mountains in anticipation of tomorrow, & reminding his rivals that he`s back to something approaching his best form.

Someone should let him know he needs to go for some of them now to win the Green jersey, unless he isn't bothered.