Procycling thread

myshkin

Frank Schlek down and out of the tour, a few different groups now on the road.

Edit - 1608: Ryder Hesjedal has broken away on his own, and is 27 seconds ahead of a six-man group that includes Andy Schleck, Fabian Cancellara, Steve Cummings, Geraint Thomas, Thor Hushovd and Cadel Evans. There's then a bunch with Lance Armstrong a little way back, ahead of the second peloton.

A mixed day for Savo Bank, with Andy Schleck gaining time on most of his rivals & Cancellara regaining yellow, but Frank Schleck abandoning.

So Cancellara pushed ahead with teamate Andy, despite numerous crashes & punctures, yet when others could have forced home their fortunate advantage on Andy Schleck yesterday, they were forced to wait? Would like to hear the thoughts of Armstrong, Basso, Contador, etc on this.

A shame for Chavanel, who was also really unlucky with bike problems & loses both yellow & green as a result.

No-one at the team will admit it, but Saxo Bank have had a real result here today as long as Andy keeps up his good form. No longer will the two of them being looking out for each other and at last the others have a real team leader to support.

The pressure is now on Contador though, very early on, possibly even too early on. Evans has over a minute on him and Astana look pretty weak this year, apart from Vino, who I reckon rode away from him in the last kilometre today just to prove a point.

Fantastic stage today, a similar one that should be in every Tour.

just watched the highlights, shame about franck but a good result for saxo and to be honest i don't think franck can really do much more than fetch the bottles for andy in the mountains these days. saxo are strong and i'd expect the two sorensens and fugslang to step up and take their turn in the moutains. amazing ride from cancellara today, the man is a legend.

although i'm definitely not a lance fan i'm a bit disapointed for him and radioshack today. lance had bad luck (but maybe shouldn't have been riding in the gutter) but what the france were levi, kloden and horner doing? the race would have been better if at least one of the shack riders were a bit more in touch. i'm not sure what they can do now to get back up with andy and contador.

the biggest winner of the day is evans. he's the top placed gc man now and will be looking to wheel suck his way round the mountains and see what happens in the TT, menchov will be thinking the same. hopefully with a good few riders having time to make some time in the mountains we'll see some good attacks in the alps.

and i don't think wiggins did catch contador. contador was in a group behind wiggins and LA and managed to bridge over on his own to them. contador got a puncture about 2km out and that's why he lost time on that group, it would have been interesting if he had gotten to ask vino to give him his bike.

Cav is back! Great win for Cavendish today after his team did a power of work to reel in the break, & then fine work from Renshaw to lead him out. He`s too far back to do anything in the green jersey comp, but the win should give him a power of confidence to go for a few more stages, & of course his teamates will be willing to sacrafice themselves knowing he`s back to winning form.

Cav is back! Great win for Cavendish today after his team did a power of work to reel in the break, & then fine work from Renshaw to lead him out. He`s too far back to do anything in the green jersey comp, but the win should give him a power of confidence to go for a few more stages, & of course his teamates will be willing to sacrafice themselves knowing he`s back to winning form.

Good to see after his disapoiting day yesterday....how far back is he in the race for the points jersey?

Great work by Quickstep and Chavanal yesterday to get back into yellow.

However the tour starts today for the GC men I think. Really looking forward to todays stage.

It will be interesting to see if Contador has got the legs this year as he hasn't convinced for me. I bet Vino will ride away from him if it comes to it if he is dropped by Evans/Schelck. Also interesting to see how Wiggins is riding.

For me Evans though is the man this year, but after today we will have a better idea.

tdf_2010_st5_WIGGO-THOMAS.jpg

I wonder who Wiggins is talking about there. My money would be on Cav.

Great couple of days this weekend. Anyone with a heart will feel slightly sorry for Armstrong today, no matter what you may think of him. No-one deserves luck like he got today.

Armstrong looked to have a shagger from the itv twitter feed. Sounded a good days racing and the GC's rattled up a bit.

Andy Schleck looked good today & might regret not giving it a go from further out, especially given the fact there`s a rest day tomorrow. Evans in yellow, but was straight to the back of the group when Schleck did attack. One more day in the Alps, but not a summit finish. Schleck & others still need to attack Contador though given his superior TT ability.

Liquegas could play a role with both Basso & Kreuziger high in GC.