Procycling thread

myshkin

That's 2 bad days oin the bounce for Evenepoel. I had a feeling that he'd have at least one bad day. It'll be interesting to see how he goes in the final week, he simply can't afford to keep shipping time  to Roglic, Mas, Lopez etc. Only having 1.34 to defend in the final week could be trouble with 2 big mountain stages and a medium mountain stage still to go in amongst 3 flat stages.

You'd expect Carapaz and Vine - at +18 mins and +38 minutes - to go hunting for more stages.

21 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

That's 2 bad days oin the bounce for Evenepoel. I had a feeling that he'd have at least one bad day. It'll be interesting to see how he goes in the final week, he simply can't afford to keep shipping time  to Roglic, Mas, Lopez etc. Only having 1.34 to defend in the final week could be trouble with 2 big mountain stages and a medium mountain stage still to go in amongst 3 flat stages.

You'd expect Carapaz and Vine - at +18 mins and +38 minutes - to go hunting for more stages.

Thought it telling that Roglic attacked & couldn't hammer home his advantage. Might be Remco riding to numbers, but he's only shipped 30-40 secs a stage.

Edited by kiddy

40 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Thought it telling that Roglic attacked & couldn't hammer home his advantage. Might be Remco riding to numbers, but he's only shipped 3-40 secs a stage.

On Sunday, Quick-Step were drilling the lead into the final climb and that may have taken a biot out of Roglic. I did wonder if that was a tactic to try and force Roglic's hand a bit.

Incredible last 3km with Roglic attacking, making a decent gap, then Evenepoel getting a puncture and dropping out of the peleton.  

Then Roglic crashed just before the line, then there were doubts about whether Evenepoel actually punctured, then Evenepoel was given the time gap he got as he rolled over the line, without taking the 3km rule into account!

So as things stand, Roglic is in red, 35 seconds ahead of Mas and 90 seconds ahead of Evenepoel.  But I find it hard to believe the gap to Evenepoel will stand, and in any case there may be some doubt whether Roglic continues.

Worth catching up with the live coverage for that 3km and aftermath if you didn't see it as it happened.

Edited by Gnash

On 26/05/2022 at 16:15, kiddy said:

Break takes it, as the sprinters teams miscalculate the gap & the peloton come in 14 secs back.

Hindley comes in over a min down on Carapaz, though reports of a flat in the last 3km suggest he'll get the same time.

I thought that rule was only for crashes, not mechanicals?

On 26/05/2022 at 20:18, kiddy said:

Watched it back & he was going backward before the 3k mark, but pulled over just inside it to qualify for the exemption.

Was Hindley at the Giro.

35 minutes ago, Gnash said:

From a purely selfish point of view, that's a disaster as the rest of the Vuelta will be much less exciting. 

I think Remco was on the ropes with Roglic trying to get that time back...

Dunno if Mas can pull two minutes back ..who knows.....

Lets hope he recovers quickly.....

3 hours ago, Bob in Denny said:

I think Remco was on the ropes with Roglic trying to get that time back...

Dunno if Mas can pull two minutes back ..who knows.....

Lets hope he recovers quickly.....

Depends on whether the Spanish teams could gang  up on him, like they did with Robert Miller/Pippa York?

1 hour ago, kiddy said:

Depends on whether the Spanish teams could gang  up on him, like they did with Robert Miller/Pippa York?

Mas made no attempt to take seconds back on that final climb today, shadow boxing..

Tomorrow has what looks like a steeper finish, Sat has two big climbs during the race, can't see him getting over 2 mins..

BUT who knows......

Just seen another Fred Wright interview, I rarely root for anyone but this bloke is likeable...

Edited by Bob in Denny
add to post

On 07/09/2022 at 16:15, Bob in Denny said:

Mas made no attempt to take seconds back on that final climb today, shadow boxing..

Tomorrow has what looks like a steeper finish, Sat has two big climbs during the race, can't see him getting over 2 mins..

BUT who knows......

Just seen another Fred Wright interview, I rarely root for anyone but this bloke is likeable...

Too many big gaps between the GC contenders, to put Remco under pressure. He seems to have recovered from his mid race 'crisis', but that's not to say he could be sandbagging.

Wright has been one of the best finds of the season. Hope his first stage win comes soon. Could be a wild card for the Words RR, given his form.

Dreadful tactics from Mas, effectively pacing Evenepoel past Gesink to win the stage.  When he saw he wasn't going to drop Evenepoel, he should have knocked off the effort and at least prevented him from getting the full bonus seconds.

That was brutal crashes for Jay Vine and Carlos Rodriguez.

Anyway, Evenepoel has won the Vuelta. Congrats to him, I genuinely didn't think he'd have what it takes to win a GT. Granted he had a mid-race wobble, he has been comfortably the best rider. It's a shame Roglic crashed out. Things were shaping up to be a brilliant finish to the race until he abandoned.

That was brutal crashes for Jay Vine and Carlos Rodriguez.
Anyway, Evenepoel has won the Vuelta. Congrats to him, I genuinely didn't think he'd have what it takes to win a GT. Granted he had a mid-race wobble, he has been comfortably the best rider. It's a shame Roglic crashed out. Things were shaping up to be a brilliant finish to the race until he abandoned.
Remco's recovery, following Roglic departure, suggest the race would still be in the balance.