Procycling thread

myshkin

The rest day can't come quick enough for Jumbo Visma. Hell of a day for them. A lot now on Kuss when they get to the Pyrenees. 

Vingegaard looks incredibly strong so the weakened team may just level things between him and Pogacar going into the final week. 

Vingegaard attacks late on in the stage, but Pogacar counters and takes the win, but only gains 4 seconds.

Geraint Thomas was fourth over 2 minutes down but is now a comfortable 3rd on the GC with a bit of daylight to 4th.

Edited by peasy23

12 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Is the Red Bull helmet that Wout van Aert is wearing his or does it go with the Green jersey?

He's a Red Bull sponsored athlete so he gets to wear it. Tom Pidcock is as well but apparently Ineos won't let him wear the personalised helmet for whatever reason. 

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:

Vingegaard almost goes down on the descent, a couple of kms later Logacar does hit the deck.

Nice to see Vingegaard wait for him. Could he regret that though?

This is unreal to watch. Properly enthralling battle. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Is Pogacar making a KotM bid today if he fails to drop Vingegaard? If he wins the stage he should go clear.

He's got the young rider sewn up but I reckon he's after the stage win. Vingegaard with Wout waiting up the road for him might make that difficult though. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Wout van Aert is incredible.

Phenomenal ride to drop Pogacar from Vingegaard.

He is indeed. As well as the obvious talent, he never hides. As the Eurosport team said, he's like having three riders. 

Edited by printer

51 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Are we in danger of Jumbo absolutely Skying the f**k out of the next few Tours?

They are by far the strongest team, but with van Aert in particular they ride more aggressively.

Up to the other teams to make themselves stronger. Ineos and UAE, I'm looking at you.

Ineos have an issue in that their best GC rider (G) is at the end of his career and the likes of Martinez and Yates don't seem good enough. Will a fit and rehabilitated Bernal be able to seriously challenge JV? Maybe, with the right team around him.

Edited by printer

8 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Vingegaard almost goes down on the descent, a couple of kms later Pogacar does hit the deck.

Nice to see Vingegaard wait for him. Could he regret that though?

The whole tour could have turned in those 2 minutes. I thought Pogacar waited first & that was returned almost instantly.

Vingegaard with a great save, then Pogacar's breaking mistake exacerbated by sliding in the gravel.

11 hours ago, printer said:

They are by far the strongest team, but with van Aert in particular they ride more aggressively.

Up to the other teams to make themselves stronger. Ineos and UAE, I'm looking at you.

Ineos have an issue in that their best GC rider (G) is at the end of his career and the likes of Martinez and Yates don't seem good enough. Will a fit and rehabilitated Bernal be able to seriously challenge JV? Maybe, with the right team around him.

This going into every grand Tour with 2 or 3 team leaders needs to end for Ineos. All they are doing is hoping to get one of them on the podium. No intention of supporting one sole leader for the win.

Carapaz to EF seems a weird one. For my money, he's Ineos' best shout for a GT win these days, so I'm surprised they haven't done more to hang on to him, especially with Bernal still badly hurt. 

Given the extent of Bernal's injuries, I'd be very surprised if he's back challenging for GTs again. He suffered a fractured vertebrae, a fractured femur, a fractured patella, a punctured lung, broken ribs and the last I heard he badly messed up his neck too, which may also require surgery. That's going to be very tough to come back from and seriously challenge the elite guys like Pogacar, Vingegaard, Roglic, Carapaz etc.

Roglic is contracted to Jumbo until 2025, so I'm not really sure how he will be used moving forward. A great rider, but you always have that feeling that he has a bad day/mistake in him at any time. It's happened to him at multiple tours, and also at Paris Nice last year if I recall. Is he going to be happy play super domestique? I can;t see it or he wouldn't have abandoned so readily with Vingegaard in such a strong position. Or will he simply target the Vuelta and Giro? 

It'll be interesting to see how Pogacar/UAE react to this. I suspect they will seriously stregthen their climbing team in the off-season. This tour really exposed how weak their team is. Aside from Majka, and one excellent day for McNulty, they've been nowhere. Granted they've been unlucky with positive tests and injury, but if they still had a full compliment I really don't think it'd have made much difference.  I think it's vital they keep Majka. Even if they could add a Wilco Kelderman type, you feel they'd instantly be stronger.

2 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

This going into every grand Tour with 2 or 3 team leaders needs to end for Ineos. All they are doing is hoping to get one of them on the podium. No intention of supporting one sole leader for the win.

Carapaz to EF seems a weird one. For my money, he's Ineos' best shout for a GT win these days, so I'm surprised they haven't done more to hang on to him, especially with Bernal still badly hurt. 

Given the extent of Bernal's injuries, I'd be very surprised if he's back challenging for GTs again. He suffered a fractured vertebrae, a fractured femur, a fractured patella, a punctured lung, broken ribs and the last I heard he badly messed up his neck too, which may also require surgery. That's going to be very tough to come back from and seriously challenge the elite guys like Pogacar, Vingegaard, Roglic, Carapaz etc.

Roglic is contracted to Jumbo until 2025, so I'm not really sure how he will be used moving forward. A great rider, but you always have that feeling that he has a bad day/mistake in him at any time. It's happened to him at multiple tours, and also at Paris Nice last year if I recall. Is he going to be happy play super domestique? I can;t see it or he wouldn't have abandoned so readily with Vingegaard in such a strong position. Or will he simply target the Vuelta and Giro? 

It'll be interesting to see how Pogacar/UAE react to this. I suspect they will seriously stregthen their climbing team in the off-season. This tour really exposed how weak their team is. Aside from Majka, and one excellent day for McNulty, they've been nowhere. Granted they've been unlucky with positive tests and injury, but if they still had a full compliment I really don't think it'd have made much difference.  I think it's vital they keep Majka. Even if they could add a Wilco Kelderman type, you feel they'd instantly be stronger.

Kelderman reported going to JV a few days ago.

UAE only really have 2 GC contenders in Pogacar & Hindley. If the latter goes in the Vuelta, it might be expected for the two to switch round & attempt the 3 GT's in the opposite order next year. Both having age on their side looking to the future.

Can't see Vingegaard & Roglic riding in the same grouping again & that JV will send them with different squads. Also be interesting how they proceed to develop WVA, as he's showing haunting similarities to Merckx.

Ineos seem to be the major team in transition. Carapaz looks to be moving, Bernal's return may have echoes of Froome & TGH looks like being a lucky GT winner & domestique at best. Their age profile seems heavy toward those nearing the end of a career (Thomas/Rowe & Castro) & a lot being pinned on Yates, in his prime, and Pidcock for the future.