Procycling thread

myshkin

On 01/07/2022 at 14:49, buddie06smfc said:

The police have gone early with their annual raid on the Bahrain Victorious hotel. I was surprised they weren’t one of the teams partaking in the Netflix series being filmed this year. 

2022-07-02 (2).png

5 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

One of the things that makes Pogacar brilliant is nobody has mentioned him this tour, we haven't seen him and he's still 3rd in GC only 14 seconds down

Been riding at front, having been caught in cross winds 2 years ago. Though did get caught behind the crash in last 3km of stage 2 & had to ride in with a FWP.

Think it should be stage 7 before any major GC changes happen. Most contenders just happy to stay safe until then. 

Nice wee interview, on @Eurosport, with @TacovanderHoorn on who was his inspiration on growing up as a cyclist.

Seems @graemeObree's attitude to doing the unexpected had a major impact on his own outlook to racing.

44 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
3 hours ago, TheGreenMonster said:
Philipsen thinking he had won and not knowing Van Aert was already away up the road.

That was mightily impressive from Van Aert.

The Watts he must have been putting out must have been ridiculous.

I'd imagine only MvdP would be able to compete with that, but he was strangely absent from the action. Maybe targeting tomorrow?

4 hours ago, TheGreenMonster said:

Philipsen thinking he had won and not knowing Van Aert was already away up the road.

2022-07-05 (4).png

2022-07-05 (6).png

More 'wnak' Van Aert on that 2nd pic.

Edited by kiddy

Fantastic racing over the pave. Spoiler below.

Spoiler

Pogacar rides a near perfect stage with minimal support from his team. Gets an armchair ride coming in 51 down on a 4 man break. Whilst all hell broke loose for JV.

Van Aert & Kruijswijk closed down 500m on the cars in front, inside 90s, after a crash! Noticeable the cameras panned away, when they started drafting their own team car. (Strange considering how EF/Uran were not afforded same on Stage 2)

Vingegaard punctured, took a team mates bike, who was clearly a lot bigger as he couldn't reach a saddle, changed to another, still bigger, before the team car reached him with his spare. He came in 15 secs down on Pogacar on a group lead for 30 kms by WVA & a couple of JV riders (Lot of other GC contenders in this group).

Big loser was Roglic, taken out in a crash with Caleb Ewan hitting a loose haybale at a r/bout. Heard he's dislocated his shoulder & put it back in himself before trailing in 2mins+ down on his fellow Slovenian competitor.

Ben O'Conner punctured early doors, but Citroen made an arse of getting him back & he lost 4+ minutes. GC gone

Could be tour over for Roglic.

Less said about EF's Bettiol the better. Suffice to say, most thought he was looking for a contract with UAE next year!

Edited by kiddy

Van Aert's move was obviously to try draw out the other teams to work & give JV an easier ride following yesterdays events.

Be interesting to find out who the 2 JV riders were, who went off road causing Van Rensburg's crash.

Think the dislocation ultimately limited Roglic attack in the last km, though Pogacar looked pretty much untouchable.

Looks like forcing him to cover multi team, multi rider attacks from GC challengers might be the only way to stop him winning the GC.

20 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
20 hours ago, well fan for life said:
Pogacar is an absolute freak of nature man. 

Indeed. The cynic in me thinks he's a little too good.

Yeah, must admit I feel a little uncomfortable watching just how good he is.

General classification is effectively over now, Pogacar is far too good & never finds himself suffering the rotten luck Roglic, Thomas etc. always manage to find. Will come down to a series of one-day races now in the hope of breakaway versus the chase as the entertainment. 

It would be good to see Pogacar suffer a mechanical close enough to the finish but also a decent distance (20-30km) out for the other teams to put a good amount of time into him. Or last 3-5km on a mountain stage. 

I suspect he will be further clear at the top come 6pm tonight, UAE are not for letting the break go far up the road today.

Alpe d'Huez on Bastille Day should be a good spectacle. 

7 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Short of a complete catastrophe I think we'll call the GC over and done with there.

Aye, looking ominous...

I'm shouting at Kamna and her indoors is downstairs shouting at Cam Norrie...

This has been a cracking start to Le Tour....

Short of a complete catastrophe I think we'll call the GC over and done with there.
All over and done a week into a 3 week race. Now just a competition to see who can get closest. Even if other teams gang up on UAE Pogacar looks strong enough to win this race solo