Procycling thread

myshkin

Genuinely happy for Hindley. To beat a GT winner, & crack him in the penultimate stage, gives it added credence.
Would like to think he'll now focus on La Vuelta, as he'll be brim full of confidence.

Tom Dumoulin to retire at the end of the year. Shame for him with his troubles as he has looked a good contender, still achieved a lot in his curtailed career. 
A real shame as when he won the giro it really was a triumph against the odds. The course in the mountains that edition was brutal and to win ahead of the likes of Landa, Nibali and Quintana by riding tempo in the high mountains and staying in touch going into the final time trial was a sublime piece of riding. Would love it if he could win another Rainbow jersey in the TT but sadly can't see it. He can still be more than delighted with his achievements.

A real shame as when he won the giro it really was a triumph against the odds. The course in the mountains that edition was brutal and to win ahead of the likes of Landa, Nibali and Quintana by riding tempo in the high mountains and staying in touch going into the final time trial was a sublime piece of riding. Would love it if he could win another Rainbow jersey in the TT but sadly can't see it. He can still be more than delighted with his achievements.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, kiddy said:

Carapaz to EF for 2023.

Bit strange if confirmed. Given Ineos's financial strength, money should not be a factor

And there is no guarantee that Bernal will get back to top form quickly. 

IMO, Carapaz is a better GC contender than Yates and Thomas.

Bit strange if confirmed. Given Ineos's financial strength, money should not be a factor
Apparently there is talk of Hayter and pidcock being the next wave of GC leaders at ineos. I think they'd both be better served at this point looking for one day or week long stage races. I suppose they must hope TGH can become a real GC contender (strange thing to say about a GT winner I know but his career results are solid but no more outwith). Although you've got to think there's a strong chance they'll buy the likes of evanepoel out a contract if they go two years without a GT winner.

15 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
50 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Apparently there is talk of Hayter and pidcock being the next wave of GC leaders at ineos. I think they'd both be better served at this point looking for one day or week long stage races. I suppose they must hope TGH can become a real GC contender (strange thing to say about a GT winner I know but his career results are solid but no more outwith). Although you've got to think there's a strong chance they'll buy the likes of evanepoel out a contract if they go two years without a GT winner.

I don't see Pidock or Evenepoel at GT contenders whilst Pogacer and Roglic are dominating. They are classics riders who could win shorter stage races

Hayter has potential (like Pidcock) but Tulett could be the better GT rider of the three. 

TGH has been used as a domestique since winning the Giro. He must be getting frustrated.

Martinez looks to be the real deal.

I don't see Pidock or Evenepoel at GT contenders whilst Pogacer and Roglic are dominating. They are classics riders who could win shorter stage races
Hayter has potential (like Pidcock) but Tulett could be the better GT rider of the three. 
TGH has been used as a domestique since winning the Giro. He must be getting frustrated.
Martinez looks to be the real deal.
Without being unkind TGH lucked into winning a grand tour to a certain extent. He benefitted massively from having Dennis doing a huge amount of work for him when Dennis would ordinarily expect those roles to be reversed. I struggle to see TGH even challenging at a GT again, never mind winning one. If Evenepoel wants to win a GT he probably has to leave Quick Step. I hope they never change the way they race but they really aren't set up for a 3 week battle.

Thought Quickstep were running it close to a team DQ today in the Tour of Belgium. Would have been understandable, given their outrageous team tactics to box Tim Wellans in the "Golden Km".
Wellans was rightly upset, but knew that any action taken would be against an individual & not improve the outcome.