Procycling thread

myshkin

This has genuinely been one of the most thrilling grand tours I've ever watched. 

I think Carapaz will have enough to carry a gap into the next two days and into the time trial. Hindley has been absolutely unreal though, but given what happened in 2020, will he get the job done?

I'd absolutely love Landa to pull something out of his arse today and chuck himself firmly back into the mix. I think Bahrain have looked like the strongest team. Hindley has been isolated a few times and Carapaz really just seems to have Porte. Landa has had a lot of really good help from both Bilbao and Poels.

Such a shame Bardet had to abandon as he looked very strong and would no doubt have been in contention.

I'm looking forward to the next 3 stages of racing. I genuinely can't pick a winner from the top 3 at the minute, but if I was to put money on it just now, I'd say Carapaz will hold on.

This has genuinely been one of the most thrilling grand tours I've ever watched. 
I think Carapaz will have enough to carry a gap into the next two days and into the time trial. Hindley has been absolutely unreal though, but given what happened in 2020, will he get the job done?
I'd absolutely love Landa to pull something out of his arse today and chuck himself firmly back into the mix. I think Bahrain have looked like the strongest team. Hindley has been isolated a few times and Carapaz really just seems to have Porte. Landa has had a lot of really good help from both Bilbao and Poels.
Such a shame Bardet had to abandon as he looked very strong and would no doubt have been in contention.
I'm looking forward to the next 3 stages of racing. I genuinely can't pick a winner from the top 3 at the minute, but if I was to put money on it just now, I'd say Carapaz will hold on.
I would expect Carapaz to have a real go either today or tomorrow. There isn't much in time trialling ability between the three contenders although Landa is wildly unpredictable in the discipline. I would think that Carapaz could even afford to be within 15-20 seconds behind either of the other two going into the time trial to be favourite for pink in the final standings.

Porte ill and straight out the back today on the first climb. Might be the reason Bora appear to be taking ahold of the chase today ahead of the tougher climbs still to come. 
Potentially a huge blow to Carapaz's victory . If bora and Bahrain have any sense they'll make tomorrow as hard as possible from the get go and see how strong Carapaz is.

5 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

Porte ill and straight out the back today on the first climb. Might be the reason Bora appear to be taking ahold of the chase today ahead of the tougher climbs still to come. 

Porte abandoned & Sivakov didn't even know in his post race interview!

Landa attacked & both Carapaz & Hindley were able to close him down easily.

Think the race will boil down to the final climb of the Marmolada.

Even if Hindley manages to take pink, the skin suits used could prove to be critical in the ITT.

Blythe, McEwan & Lloyd seem to think the rider going second could benefit to the tune of 30 secs, purely down to the suit they're wearing.

That would play into the hands of Carapaz, as he's beaten Hindley 2/3 times in the recent past over similar distances.

3 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
5 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

Potentially a huge blow to Carapaz's victory . If bora and Bahrain have any sense they'll make tomorrow as hard as possible from the get go and see how strong Carapaz is.

The three teams have been pretty much equal & ultimately it's boiled down to the main protagonists themselves.

Today's final climb just not being steep enough to make any difference.

Still think it's been fairly dull from a GC point of view.  Hindley and Carapaz are so evenly matched neither can get away from the other.  I think the almost complete lack of big summit finishes (I know there is a big one tomorrow) is making the riders, knowing they are evenly matched, very cagey.  I wonder if we'd had Pogacar or Roglic, would the others have ganged up on them and made it more exciting?

On the other hand, some of the starts have been really entertaining.  And Mathieu van der Poel is superb - he's so strong and just rides at his limit without a care.

Hindley seems happy to match Carapaz over the past week, I can’t remember him attacking much if any. I would imagine the bonus seconds will go to the GC contenders for today which could be crucial. From hearing about Hindley’s time trialling ability and equipment compared to Carapaz’s then he will need to put a fair amount of time into Carapaz today to stand a chance. 

In an ideal world Hugh Carthy takes the stage by 18 minutes. The Dolomites usually put a spanner in the works. 

Hindley seems happy to match Carapaz over the past week, I can’t remember him attacking much if any. I would imagine the bonus seconds will go to the GC contenders for today which could be crucial. From hearing about Hindley’s time trialling ability and equipment compared to Carapaz’s then he will need to put a fair amount of time into Carapaz today to stand a chance. 

In an ideal world Hugh Carthy takes the stage by 18 minutes. The Dolomites usually put a spanner in the works. 
On the equipment part. Worth noting that the leader will be in a non team custom suit, which, with such small margins could play a role

Happy for Hindley, having lost out 2 years ago, probably more down to trying to protect Kelderman, than the time lost to TGH on the ITT.
His climbing ability, shown back then, was never in doubt.

2 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Happy for Hindley, having lost out 2 years ago, probably more down to trying to protect Kelderman, than the time lost to TGH on the ITT.

Yep, the lad did well..

Carapaz looked lost after his teammate (Simakov?) fell away

Dunno if it is just me but I think the Breakaway has lost its initial shine...

or am I missing Kirby and Smith😀

Yep, the lad did well..
Carapaz looked lost after his teammate (Simakov?) fell away
Dunno if it is just me but I think the Breakaway has lost its initial shine...
or am I missing Kirby and Smith[emoji3]
I miss Duffield! #FaustoCoppi #BianchiBlue
[emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

As much of a decider as today may have been. I think the crucial mistake Carapaz may have made was in getting into a 3 way fcukabout, on Blockhaus, with Landa & Bardet.
They had dropped Hindley from the group, but it allowed him to ride tempo to get back on, before winning the sprint.

As much of a decider as today may have been. I think the crucial mistake Carapaz may have made was in getting into a 3 way fcukabout, on Blockhaus, with Landa & Bardet.
They had dropped Hindley from the group, but it allowed him to ride tempo to get back on, before winning the sprint.
Absolutely this

That was more like it!  Cracking stage.  

Hindley should take pink now, regardless of losing a bit of time with the skin suit.  Surprised to see Carapaz struggle so badly.

Also worth saying it was a fantastic stage win from long distance for Covi.

Absolutely outstanding tactically from Bora. Allowed Carapaz to burn all of his matches, then followed the wheel when Carapaz went, bridged over to Kamna and used him to set a ferocious pace to drop Carapaz and ride clear.

I fancied Carapaz to hold on, but he really cracked in that final 3k.

Hindley has been excellent throughout. 

16 hours ago, kiddy said:

TGH had a heavy reliance on Rohan Dennis in the mountains too. Hindley must be in line for years as team leader at future grand tours now. Hugh Carthy also been in great form over the last week of the Giro. 

TGH had a heavy reliance on Rohan Dennis in the mountains too. Hindley must be in line for years as team leader at future grand tours now. Hugh Carthy also been in great form over the last week of the Giro. 
I suspect Carthy will have a similar career to Landa. Will be team leader and look like mounting a GC challenge but in reality never will. Has a propensity for a stinking day too often.