Procycling thread

myshkin

THE best MT finish EVER! #withoutquestion.

A 3 way photo finish, from a group of six. Blockhaus certainly delivered.

Just #WOW!

Feel sorry for Lopez, who was forced into unclipping, due to a touch of wheels/braking 7/8km out, & going off road.

But his recovery & defence of the Maglia Rosa was admirable. To limit his losses to 1.46, was worthy of holding onto the leaders jersey.

Not a case of winning the Giro today, but a good few certainly lost it. Yates, Ciccone, Kelderman, to name but a few.

Carapaz, Bardet & Landa certainly the favourites. But Hindley & Almeida are bang in form.

Edited by kiddy

Raging that I keep missing this. Only just discovered a wee while back that we get Eurosport on our Sky package and this weekend was meant for watching the Giro live but having a bairn has totally ruined my sports watching capabilities. Will record the highlights and watch tomorrow morning before he's up though. Sounds epic.

It was tremendous viewing from start to finish, I had it on GCN+, compared to the midweek stage when literally nothing happened all day there was hardly a moment of rest today. One hell of a crash by Tesfatsion, not sure what line he was attempting to take with a left-handed turn coming up. Just need it to remain this close going into the final time trial. 

Just noticed Yates lost 11 minutes, must have blown up big time. Whatever the knee injury he sustained before the Giro must be pretty troublesome. I would imagine that might see him head home after today. 

Edited by buddie06smfc

Raging that I keep missing this. Only just discovered a wee while back that we get Eurosport on our Sky package and this weekend was meant for watching the Giro live but having a bairn has totally ruined my sports watching capabilities. Will record the highlights and watch tomorrow morning before he's up though. Sounds epic.
Check Quest m8. It uses Eurosport coverage anyway.[emoji2371]

Would like to think Lopez won't be penalised in time, for throwing a bidon at Sam Oomen, having been pushed in a spat.
That he instantly owned up, & apologised straight off, in his post race interview should be taken into account. Big CHF fine coming though, methinks?

Biniam Girmay becomes the first ever Eritrean, & Black African, winner of a GT stage. Outlasting MVdP in the sprint.
A truly iconic image, of Van Der Pol giving him the thumbs up, as he crosses the finish line, arms aloft! #Class20220517_165246.jpeg

Edited by kiddy

2 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Biniam Girmay becomes the first ever Eritrean, & Black African, winner of a GT stage. Outlasting MVdP in the sprint.
A truly iconic image, of Van Der Pol giving him the thumbs up, as he crosses the finish line, arms aloft!20220517_165246.jpeg

And has gone to hospital for treatment after the podium fizz bottle cork whacked his eye area

12 minutes ago, Bob in Denny said:

And has gone to hospital for treatment after the podium fizz bottle cork whacked his eye area

That's twice that's happened this Giro!

Looked right in the eye. Could end his career, the speed it came out at.

Edited by kiddy

4 hours ago, kiddy said:

A truly iconic image, of Van Der Pol giving him the thumbs up, as he crosses the finish line, arms aloft! #Class20220517_165246.jpeg

Tremendous from Girmay! Really delighted for him.

Agree, classy from MvdP.

15 minutes ago, kiddy said:
54 minutes ago, Bob in Denny said:
Eurosport website saying his team will decide if he starts tomorrow
Story HERE

That would be a crying shame, as he is a serious contender for the Ciclamino jersey.

Fingers crossed..

In some previous 'sprints' he has been there but chose the wrong wheel to follow but you can see the speed is there, he beat Van Der Poel today with power from a fair distance out.

9 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

Nasty for Girmay, sounds it won't develop into anything serious and just requires rest. Screw top bottles from now on. I hope today's stage end has the crosswinds required to split the peloton. 

Open bottles on the podium.