Procycling thread

myshkin

1 hour ago, Bob in Denny said:

In his interview, he mentioned that his saddle came loose when he sat up, he was pretty upbeat about it all..

eternal blooper reel for it...

Yeah, he seemed to slide off the back of the saddle.  Strange one.

So the giro starts on Friday. Would have to say Carapaz is a clear favourite on paper and although a strong squad far from Ineos A team with no Ganna, de Plus, Kwiatkowski , TGH and others. EF have a good looking squad with Carthy and Chaves and Astana with Nibali and Lopez. After that Almeida has looked good but not a great team behind him then VdP who can do anything and Bilbao who showed up well last year and Dumoulin who is still trying to get back to near the level he once was. Simon Yates leading up bike exchange who arguably are sending their best squad in years. Amongst the quicks, Cav (meaning he's unlikely to go to the tour) with a formidable lead out, demare, gaviria, Ewen and Nizzolo. All in 3+ weeks of terrific racing to look forward to.

On 02/05/2022 at 17:24, jaggyness said:

So the giro starts on Friday. Would have to say Carapaz is a clear favourite on paper and although a strong squad far from Ineos A team with no Ganna, de Plus, Kwiatkowski , TGH and others. EF have a good looking squad with Carthy and Chaves and Astana with Nibali and Lopez. After that Almeida has looked good but not a great team behind him then VdP who can do anything and Bilbao who showed up well last year and Dumoulin who is still trying to get back to near the level he once was. Simon Yates leading up bike exchange who arguably are sending their best squad in years. Amongst the quicks, Cav (meaning he's unlikely to go to the tour) with a formidable lead out, demare, gaviria, Ewen and Nizzolo. All in 3+ weeks of terrific racing to look forward to.

The best of the Grand Tours IMO. I’m well on board with the road stage start and TT on day 2, much better start to proceedings. Doesn’t look a particularly favourable tour for the sprinters with limited stages that look set up for them after week 1. Hopefully the Italian broadcasters are well equipped this year for when the route goes into the mountains. 

2 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

The best of the Grand Tours IMO. I’m well on board with the road stage start and TT on day 2, much better start to proceedings. Doesn’t look a particularly favourable tour for the sprinters with limited stages that look set up for them after week 1. Hopefully the Italian broadcasters are well equipped this year for when the route goes into the mountains. 

Agreed. Love the Giro. 

Agreed that it's the best GT. Few flat stages middle of the race but can the pure sprinters get there? Blockhaus finish a massive time limit barrier to them. Also Ewen is nailed on for the tour so wouldn't expect him to finish the giro.

One year, I say the Giro, the next? La Vuelta..

they just seem to have that rawness the TDF doesn't have...

I just can't wait, all stages from start to end...

Love it.

I will miss the Buffalo on the Cycling Podcast though..

I enjoy the stage by stage discussions'.

I don't even care who wins...

That's a mighty fine ITT victory for Yates. He has been saying that bianchi TT bike is a major help to him. Interesting when dumoulin and Roglic were smashing the peloton in time trials they were using the same brand. I know the top time triallists maybe aren't there but the improvement from Yates in a short period of time is something.

4 hours ago, Gnash said:
Cav wins the stage.  What a guy.

Just how he held form for so long, in that sprint, was mind boggling.

300m at 45mph!

Edited by kiddy

Given he went hunting Int sprint points on stage 1, think Cav made a mistake, letting Birmay take the leftovers in y/days stage, before being dropped on the days major climb. If he's targeting Ciclamino, then sprint points could be crucial come Milan.

Ballerini nearly came up trumps for QST, being pipped at the line by Demare.