Procycling thread

myshkin

• 2 weeks later...

There's timing for ya - the day after The Grauniad does a big piece on Mark Cavendish he's involved in a serious accident.

Kept in hospital overnight but due out either today or tomorrow - wishing Cav a speedy recovery...

Mark Cavendish: ‘I knew I could be top again’ | Cycling | The Guardian

Mark Cavendish suffers collapsed lung and two broken ribs in crash | Mark Cavendish | The Guardian

Edited by btb

• 4 weeks later...

Thomas signs a two year contract extension with ineos. Got to think his days leading at Grand Tours are over now. He's been unlucky, he probably would have won the giro last year if he hadn't crashed out through someone's water bottle going under his wheel.

Gutted that I can't vote for Cav for SPOTY.
Despite winning 4 TdF stages, the Green jersey and equalling Merckx's stage win record, the BBC cretins did not include him on the shortlist.
Totally outrageous!

The whole show is a farce. Josh Taylor should also have been in with a shout, the only British man ever to hold all 4 belts at his weight.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Egan Bernal had a huge crash in training yesterday, riding into a parked bus. Both he and the bus suffered a lot of damage.

9dbe63d2cc3c10acb1d499144b82d168.jpg

Sounds horrific.  Hopefully he can return to full fitness, may not be this year though. 

Sounds horrific.  Hopefully he can return to full fitness, may not be this year though. 
This sounds like a Chris Froome at the dauphine type crash. I fear the worst sadly. Hope I'm very wrong as I think he can win more grand tours. All of a sudden ineos roster looks a bit thin without him.

On 27/01/2022 at 18:27, jaggyness said:

Mark Cavendish: The Tour de France comeback for 'cycling's greatest sprinter' - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/60083311
Good piece on Cav. Lefevre drops in my estimation everytime I hear/read what he's said

Great piece - unusually for the BBC as its cycling coverage is appalling for a public service broadcaster. Tbh, you're being a bit harsh on Lefrevre who had no obligation to rehire Cavendish even on a low/token/sponsored salary. 

I thought that Cavendish was back at Scheldeprij. He was very comfortable "sweeping" for Bennett and just rolled over the line. IMHO, If Mark been allowed to contest the sprint, he would have won. At that point, I was desperate for him to be given the chance at the Tour to show his real form. Thankfully, it all worked out...

Like many cycling fans, I was absolutely livid that the woke BBC denied us the chance to vote for Cavendish as SPOTY. 

On 25/01/2022 at 21:14, jaggyness said:
On 25/01/2022 at 16:26, Gnash said:

This sounds like a Chris Froome at the dauphine type crash. I fear the worst sadly. Hope I'm very wrong as I think he can win more grand tours. All of a sudden ineos roster looks a bit thin without him.

It does but Froome is a lot older and towards the end of his career. Reports say that Bernal's recovery is going well.  He's probably out for this season but should return next year.

Ineos have Thomas, Carapaz, Yates and Geoghegan-Hart on the roster. Sivakov is 24 and could be contender too.  I'm guessing that Porte will be a back-up/domestique/stage hunter.

It does but Froome is a lot older and towards the end of his career. Reports say that Bernal's recovery is going well.  He's probably out for this season but should return next year.
Ineos have Thomas, Carapaz, Yates and Geoghegan-Hart on the roster. Sivakov is 24 and could be contender too.  I'm guessing that Porte will be a back-up/domestique/stage hunter.
Given that this is Porte's last year from what I've read I'd be amazed if he was anything other than that. Carapaz is an obvious leader but was earmarked to go to the giro. Could a Thomas, Yates, Sivakov or TGH challenge at the tour against Roglic and Pogacar? I don't think they could. Suddenly is sending Carapaz to attempt a Giro/Vuelta double their best chance this season and should be deemed success? Writing off the tour hasn't been in their MO for quite some time.

10 hours ago, jaggyness said:
14 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Given that this is Porte's last year from what I've read I'd be amazed if he was anything other than that. Carapaz is an obvious leader but was earmarked to go to the giro. Could a Thomas, Yates, Sivakov or TGH challenge at the tour against Roglic and Pogacar? I don't think they could. Suddenly is sending Carapaz to attempt a Giro/Vuelta double their best chance this season and should be deemed success? Writing off the tour hasn't been in their MO for quite some time.

Going by the last two years can anyone challenge Roglic and Pogacar? Could Bernal even if he hadn't had that crash?

Going by the last two years can anyone challenge Roglic and Pogacar? Could Bernal even if he hadn't had that crash?
He might have. His time trialling would need to improve but he looked very good last season when fit. 3rd at strade bianche behind VdP and Alaphilippe and beating Pogacar, then winning the Giro. Not saying he'd win the tour but a 3 way battle this year was something to look forward to. Put it this way, there isn't really anyone else on Ineos roster who could realistically challenge. I would have Pogacar as favourite for any GT he enters but this would have added more flavour.