Procycling thread

myshkin

58 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

A stage win for Cavendish, not something I thought we would see at the Tour again.

Agreed! Back in the green jersey too.

It was not just the win that was amazing but the margin of victory -  he. won by two bike lengths.

His resurgence since returning to Quickstep has been incredible. He has a an opportunity to match the record for stage victories. 

Agreed! Back in the green jersey too.
It was not just the win that was amazing but the margin of victory -  he. won by two bike lengths.
His resurgence since returning to Quickstep has been incredible. He has a an opportunity to match the record for stage victories. 
He was talking about Thursday too, in a return to a finish, in Chateauroux, where he won his first ever Tour stage in 2008!
He's certainly got the bit between his teeth.

Fantastic for Cav.  Like him, I didn't expect him to ride the tour again, never mind win a stage - who knows, maybe win some more.

You could see how much it meant to him as well.  Brilliant.

Tremendous win for Cav.

My first kiss-of-death bet today at the Tour on Lutsenko at 33/1 for the TT. No doubt he’ll show the Dauphine TT was a flash in the pan but there does seem slight similarities in the course and too tempted at those odds. I also like Uran & McNulty for today at their odds. It seems van Aert is all geared up for today and taking yellow so barring crashes/technicals fully expecting him to take the win given Roglic’s injuries.

12 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Cavendish was showing some decent form a few months ago at the Tour of Turkey, but that was against a pretty weak field of sprinters. Never saw this coming

His win at the Tour of Belgium was very significant. He beat most of the top sprinters and it was clear that his best form had returned.

Alaphilippe hauled in the breakaway like Tony Martin a few years ago.  That was fantastic given that he's second in the GC.

The reaction of the Quickstep team showed how much Cav and his win meant to them. It was just like 2015. Incredible!

IIRC Sagan was the first member of the peleton to congratulate Cav.

You can tell how far Froome is off the pace when he completes the TT over a minute slower than Cavendish - he's over 3 minutes down on the leader at the moment. I would like to think he's either saving everything for a crack at a mountain stage as he's not going to win, but thats way off it.

And with that, it already looks like Pogacar's race to lose. Destroyed the field today.

Need Pogacar to get caught in a crosswind again to make it interesting. Carapaz probably the biggest loser out of today, or me for tipping McNulty who came dead last.

Need Pogacar to get caught in a crosswind again to make it interesting. Carapaz probably the biggest loser out of today, or me for tipping McNulty who came dead last.
Given Carapaz doesn't descend or timetrial as well as the other big GC candidates ineos are really going to need to burn out the other teams to stand any chance. I suppose they could sacrifice Thomas up one of the climbs for an attack, the others would probably still chase him down and then Carapaz would need to go over the top of them all.

3 hours ago, jaggyness said:

And with that, it already looks like Pogacar's race to lose. Destroyed the field today.

True but a fit Roglic and Thomas would have got much closer to him.

Pogacar has been the main beneficiary of the crashes.

There's a long way to go and anything could happen.

True but a fit Roglic and Thomas would have got much closer to him.
Pogacar has been the main beneficiary of the crashes.
There's a long way to go and anything could happen.
If you can see him taking another 1-1.30 out of the field in the final ITT. The rest if the field are up against it.

I'm torn between wanting Pogacar to lose time because of winds, a fall or some other issue to make it a closer race and wanting him to win by a big margin to show his incredible talent.

I'm torn between wanting Pogacar to lose time because of winds, a fall or some other issue to make it a closer race and wanting him to win by a big margin to show his incredible talent.

Huge fan of Pogacar but if last year showed us anything it's the excitement of a close race. Still hope Pogacar wins but would be good to see a bit of an outsider like Uran have a really good tour a la 2017

8 hours ago, printer said:

I feel this about him too.

I want a close exciting race (like last years incredible finish) but the boy is incredible and sometimes it is good just to witness sporting greatness in action. 

If he goes on to win this year, especially if by a wide margin, it begs the question how many tours he can potentially win? 

He is still competing for the white jersey!