Procycling thread

myshkin

Bernal to lead Ineos at the Giro, Thomas at the Tour (with Carapaz) and Yates at the Vuelta. Brailsford promising a more dynamic style after the success for Geoghan Hart at the Giro last year, although I suspect they'll still be quite defensive. Having Carapaz and Geoghan Hart with Thomas in France (and not ruling out Verbal doubling up) suggests they'll try and blow everyone away again this summer/whenever it gets held. Strange seeing a Sky/Ineos announcement without Froome mind you.

Bernal to lead Ineos at the Giro, Thomas at the Tour (with Carapaz) and Yates at the Vuelta. Brailsford promising a more dynamic style after the success for Geoghan Hart at the Giro last year, although I suspect they'll still be quite defensive. Having Carapaz and Geoghan Hart with Thomas in France (and not ruling out Verbal doubling up) suggests they'll try and blow everyone away again this summer/whenever it gets held. Strange seeing a Sky/Ineos announcement without Froome mind you.
The line up for the tour looks ridiculously strong. In addition to Carapaz and Thomas, the support team will come from de plus, porte, geoghegan hart, rowe, kwiatkowski, Dennis and castroviejo. Would imagine kwiatkowski and castroviejo are the most likely to miss the tour but that's an outrageous line up.

I've often been bamboozled by Movistar's dual leader approach which has cost them races imo. Halfway through watching The Least Expected Day: Inside The Movistar Team 2019 on Netflix and I'm still none the wiser as to how it was meant to work.

The line up for the tour looks ridiculously strong. In addition to Carapaz and Thomas, the support team will come from de plus, porte, geoghegan hart, rowe, kwiatkowski, Dennis and castroviejo. Would imagine kwiatkowski and castroviejo are the most likely to miss the tour but that's an outrageous line up.
I'd totally forgotten Richie Porter went back there! Crazy depth.

5 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

Impressive work by Alaphilippe in stage 1 of the tour de la Provence being in the breakaway group for the best part of 70-80km to be caught with 2kms to go and help lead their sprinter out. Mont Ventoux being tackled so early in the season on Saturday should make for good viewing.

They're only going up Ventoux as far as Chalet Reynard,

Matteo Trentin pretty scathing about the peleton being more interested in TikTok than reading up the new rule changes.

No forearms on the bars, no aero tuck descending & penalties for littering to name but a few. Think both him & Phil Gil were on the working party looking at the changes.

13 hours ago, kiddy said:

No forearms on the bars, no aero tuck descending & penalties for littering to name but a few. Think both him & Phil Gil were on the working party looking at the changes.

Interesting, are those changes for safety reasons?

The super tuck is. Not only are they worried about people out in the real world trying it, they are trying to be proactive for once and stop an accident occurring whilst doing it. The cyclist's representative body has been particularly scathing of the lack of engagement from it's members on these changes

3 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
45 minutes ago, Gnash said:

The super tuck is. Not only are they worried about people out in the real world trying it, they are trying to be proactive for once and stop an accident occurring whilst doing it. The cyclist's representative body has been particularly scathing of the lack of engagement from it's members on these changes

I tried it once and it felt incredibly unsafe, especially when trying to get back on my saddle.  Won't be doing it again.  Forearms on the bars feels really unsafe as well, for me anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

The first world tour event is under way with the UAE Tour. Matthieu vd Poel took stage one then his whole team withdrew before stage two after a team staff member tested positive for covid. After stage 2 tt Pogacar leads by 5 seconds from Almeida. Yates is 39 seconds off the lead.

George Bennett in spat with NZ cycling over Nat Champs jersey. Wanted to wear his own design, but "shut down" by national federation. Then you see he pulled the jersey on after his recent win. #Doh
https://www.cyclingnews.com/amp/news/george-bennetts-national-champions-jersey-shut-down-by-cycling-new-zealand/?__twitter_impression=true

George Bennett in spat with NZ cycling over Nat Champs jersey. Wanted to wear his own design, but "shut down" by national federation. Then you see he pulled the jersey on after his recent win. #Doh
https://www.cyclingnews.com/amp/news/george-bennetts-national-champions-jersey-shut-down-by-cycling-new-zealand/?__twitter_impression=true
"we were like ‘sweet’ [...] and Bike NZ were like ‘nah’."

I'm not sure how an American teenage girl became New Zealand's men's champion, but fair play.

It would appear that Brexit could well cause as much uncertainty as Covid-19 for UK-nationals competing in world & pro tour teams. The warm weather camps will have taken up a good 4-6 weeks of the permitted time now allowed in EU within the first 6 months of the year already. Doesn't appear to be any sort of resolution on the way either as you could imagine it won't be all that high up on the agenda in Westminster. 

Could be as much a stop-start season for those UK nationals as it was last year. 

Hugh Carthy to win the Giro or so I hope!

It would appear that Brexit could well cause as much uncertainty as Covid-19 for UK-nationals competing in world & pro tour teams. The warm weather camps will have taken up a good 4-6 weeks of the permitted time now allowed in EU within the first 6 months of the year already. Doesn't appear to be any sort of resolution on the way either as you could imagine it won't be all that high up on the agenda in Westminster. 
Could be as much a stop-start season for those UK nationals as it was last year. 
Hugh Carthy to win the Giro or so I hope!
Won't a lot of them have residency in European countries at the very least? Don't the Yates brothers, for example, live in Andorra?