Procycling thread

myshkin

Another tremendous Grand Tour; Carapaz and Carthy were both brilliant.
Having the strongest team was key for Roglic, but congrats to him for bouncing back from the disaster at the Tour. I really liked that he went over to Carapaz just after he crossed the line. It was a nice moment between the two of them.
Going to really miss the cycling for the next two or three months. Just hope it starts on time next year.
Well it's already been announced that all the early season races in Australia won't take place, in their usual formats anyway, so the first races that may take place are the races that take place in the middle east in February, March. Abu Dhabi and Qatar for instance

6 hours ago, jaggyness said:
8 hours ago, printer said:
Having the strongest team was key for Roglic, but congrats to him for bouncing back from the disaster at the Tour. I really liked that he went over to Carapaz just after he crossed the line. It was a nice moment between the two of them.
Going to really miss the cycling for the next two or three months. Just hope it starts on time next year.

Well it's already been announced that all the early season races in Australia won't take place, in their usual formats anyway, so the first races that may take place are the races that take place in the middle east in February, March. Abu Dhabi and Qatar for instance

Yeah, I knew that. I was talking about the revised calendar.

On 07/11/2020 at 21:36, kiddy said:

How to go round La Vuelta 2nd fastest & still win. They need to bin these time bonuses.

Roglic is actually 8 secs slower than Carapaz & only 10 in front of Carthy.

It was the same at le Tour until he got found out on the ITT.

On 03/11/2020 at 16:55, kiddy said:

Without bonus, Carapaz would be at 13 secs & Carthy 15.

They should do away with the bonus seconds. That's why the photo finish is there, at the line, & the stopwatch on the TT. 

Roglic lost 45 seconds the other week with an issue getting a rain jacket on apoarently so not all down to the bonuses

4 hours ago, jaggyness said:
14 hours ago, garybs said:
Roglic lost 45 seconds the other week with an issue getting a rain jacket on apoarently so not all down to the bonuses

That's a racing incident though, not through artificially manipulating the timings

Point is though add 45 seconds back on & bonuses become irrelvant

On 08/11/2020 at 09:11, printer said:

Unlikely. The Tour Down Under was cancelled recently.

• 4 weeks later...
Can has re-signed for Quickstep - https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mark-cavendish-signs-for-deceuninck-quickstep-for-2021-season/.
Will he be a lead-out man for Bennett or a short-term replacement for Jacobsen whilst he recovers from his horrific injuries?
That's great news. He deserves to go out when he wants. I think the answer to your question is both! There's no guarantee jacobsen comes back to the level he was before, so Cav is the ideal short term replacement for him and in the big races that Bennett is targeting, if they don't have a GC rider then Cav becomes a top lead out.

38 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
6 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:
Can has re-signed for Quickstep - https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mark-cavendish-signs-for-deceuninck-quickstep-for-2021-season/.
Will he be a lead-out man for Bennett or a short-term replacement for Jacobsen whilst he recovers from his horrific injuries?

That's great news. He deserves to go out when he wants. I think the answer to your question is both! There's no guarantee jacobsen comes back to the level he was before, so Cav is the ideal short term replacement for him and in the big races that Bennett is targeting, if they don't have a GC rider then Cav becomes a top lead out.

I would guess that Cav has a sponsor, mostly likely Deloitte, who will cover a large part of his salary. The big question is does he have the legs to get over the big mountains in a grand tour? If not, I could see him compete in the Spring classics and shorter stage races. The winter training schedule, possibly including track racing, will be crucial. It's also possible that he will focus on trying to get selected for the Olympics rather than the GTs.

• 5 weeks later...
On 05/01/2021 at 19:18, jaggyness said:

Hirschi leaves DSM (previously Sunweb). Rumours all over about where he might be going. AG2R and ISN seem to be the favourites just now

Rumour I heard was UAE?

Hirschi leaves DSM (previously Sunweb). Rumours all over about where he might be going. AG2R and ISN seem to be the favourites just now
Rumour I heard was UAE?
Would make sense since they need to replace Aru as a GT contender at whatever races Pogacar doesn't race. And likely have the budget with Aru leaving.
Signs for UAE.

• 2 weeks later...