Procycling thread

myshkin

5 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Did the wall jump out in front of him?

Reports suggest that a gust of wind took out the front wheel. Froome was a bit unlucky but he was at fault too. 

His surgeon says that he is out for at least six months, i.e. until the end of the year. There have been no reports of his internal injuries. Hopefully, they are not too serious. 

Reports now saying Froome suffered a neck fracture in the crash. Doubt at 34 he'll win another GT if that's the case with the length of recovery this will take
Don't see Froome returning. A fifth Tour is now gone & he'll never contend for a GT again. At the very best, a Tour return, to retire on the Champs-Élysées, is all that could remain for him.

On 15/06/2019 at 08:04, jaggyness said:

Reports now saying Froome suffered a neck fracture in the crash. Doubt at 34 he'll win another GT if that's the case with the length of recovery this will take

Chris broke is his chest bone too. As for winning a GT, he'll soon get the 2013 Vuelta. And he could "do a Chris Horner"!

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting team selection for ineos. Last year they arguably had a leader plus 3 domestiques for the mountains, this year there's only two to support the leader. I know DvB and Kwiatkowski are more than decent in the mountains but be interesting when you compare it to the team movistar could take. I know it didn't work last year but I think this year it'll definitely be quintana leading

Quintana looked done at the Dauphine, a shadow of his former self. I can't see him riding in support though, which is going to mean Landa and Valverde doing the hard work for him when Landa left Sky to join Movistar to get out of Froome's shadow. I think Porte if he can stay fit and Pinot could be real contenders this year. Maybe even Bardet since there are less time trial kilometers to ride this year. It's a shame Dumoulin isn't there though. Could Bernal do it? Can't see why not although I can foresee a Froome/Wiggins issue with arguably the stronger rider being held back and becoming a little frustrated after winning the Suisse recently. It's shaping up to be a great race though. Three weeks with Gary Imlach and the boys, fantastic.

Quintana looked done at the Dauphine, a shadow of his former self. I can't see him riding in support though, which is going to mean Landa and Valverde doing the hard work for him when Landa left Sky to join Movistar to get out of Froome's shadow. I think Porte if he can stay fit and Pinot could be real contenders this year. Maybe even Bardet since there are less time trial kilometers to ride this year. It's a shame Dumoulin isn't there though. Could Bernal do it? Can't see why not although I can foresee a Froome/Wiggins issue with arguably the stronger rider being held back and becoming a little frustrated after winning the Suisse recently. It's shaping up to be a great race though. Three weeks with Gary Imlach and the boys, fantastic.
Porte isn't carrying any real form (nor is Thomas for that matter). Landa already got a lot of miles in the legs from the giro. Pinot and Adam Yates both are carrying decent form and bardet always targets the tour. Can't see fuglsang winning it despite being rated by the bookies.

21 hours ago, jaggyness said:

Cav missing the tour for first time since 07

Not surprised. His form has been terrible in recent weeks.

12 hours ago, kiddy said:

The end is nigh!

It seems that way. The Epstein-Barr virus seems to have sapped his strength. He's getting dropped even on sprinter stages.

Not convinced that Dimension Data is the right team for him. But it's hard to see another World Tour signing him after two dreadful seasons.

Lesser WT teams like CCC or EF Eduction First might take a punt on him. But Marcel Kittel will also be be looking to get a contract after two terrible seasons.

Groenewegen is the favourite for the sprint stages with Sagan (if fully fit), Viviani, Kristoff and Ewan the other main contenders. Can't see Greipel doing much.

Mark Cavendish quote on his Tour de France exclusion.

"Well what can I say?" Cavendish wrote in the first of four linked tweets. "I’m absolutely heart-broken by the decision that means I won’t be @letour this year. As I have done for my entire career, I targeted a specific time to be at peak form. This has pretty much always resulted in me hitting my goals or coming damn close.

"Predominantly at the most beautiful, special race that is Le Tour de France, where 30 of these victories have defined my career. After a long, difficult fight back from trying to compete for the whole of last season with Epstein Barr Virus and after following a specific ... training program to peak in July, I feel I was in the perfect place,

It's highly unlikely that he'll stay with Dimension Data.