Procycling thread

myshkin

Giro starts in Bologna today. Roglic starts a big favourite, on current form. But I'm going to go for Simon Yates to make good on last year's mistake of doing likewise & losing form at the end of the third week.

Brutal climb at the end of the Prologue/1st Stage TT. Some Japanese boy struggling to finish the 1st Stage. [emoji38]
Lost 4 and a half minutes in 8km. Whoops.
Aye, that was a killer of a climb, just watching the highlights show on Quest just now. Roglic takes the stage and the pink jersey, Simon Yates second.

Viviani DQ'd in stage 3 (strayed off line in sprint), overtakes Ackerman with 100m to go & edge out Gaviria (now winner) & Demare.

Crash 5Km from the finish, caught out majority of Ineos riders. Teo Geoghan Hart involved & lost 1.30 in GC due to it. Sivakov avoided it, though he was 30 down on his team mate after Stage 1. Not sure if Carapaz was caught out too, he punctured with 9 to go & had only just made it back onto the peleton.

Edited by kiddy

Major crash 5km from the finish. Roglic avoids it & finishes in a small group seconds behind winner Carapaz. Yates drops 16 secs to the Maglia Rosa. Looks as though Dumoulin's Giro is over, looks pretty banged up & loses 4 mins.

GC top 10

Roglic

Yates @35 secs

Nibali @39

Lopez @44

Ullisi @44

Majka @49

Mollema @55

Caruso @56

Jungels @1.02

Formolo @1.06

Looked like Ineos rider 167? (Puccio) touched wheels, whilst looking back the way in the peleton, causing the crash.

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

& heading straight out of Scotland, again.  Mind you, they didn't even come up here last year! No wonder nobody's interested in it.

9 hours ago, kiddy said:

& heading straight out of Scotland, again.  Mind you, they didn't even come up here last year! No wonder nobody's interested in it.

It's a 1 week event, so 1 day in Scotland seems fair enough.  It would be good if they went further north sometimes, but I suspect the Highlands are out for logistical reasons.

It's a 1 week event, so 1 day in Scotland seems fair enough.  It would be good if they went further north sometimes, but I suspect the Highlands are out for logistical reasons.
Always thought a tour of Scotland just before the Giro or Tour would be a good event - doing the climbs up to our ski resorts etc aren't going to be as tough as those in the Romandie or whatever but it would be good to get some climbing in the legs and there would be some good opportunities for scenic sprint finishes along the Royal Mile, down to the Glen Gates in Dunfermline, outside the V&A in Dundee, etc.

Always thought a tour of Scotland just before the Giro or Tour would be a good event - doing the climbs up to our ski resorts etc aren't going to be as tough as those in the Romandie or whatever but it would be good to get some climbing in the legs and there would be some good opportunities for scenic sprint finishes along the Royal Mile, down to the Glen Gates in Dunfermline, outside the V&A in Dundee, etc.
Like this?
https://womenstourofscotland.com/

Nice! That would make for a decent race actually - nice scenery and interesting start/end points. I hadn't seen that before I suggested my parcours btw. Another couple of stages with an uphill finish thrown in somewhere (Glenshee, Caringorm funicular?) would make for quite a good test for the pro teams I reckon.

Today in the Giro.

Dumoulin climbs off bike within minutes. Katusha's Danny Navarro's in intensive care in Rome, following yesterday's crash. 3 broken ribs, punctured lung & broken collarbone.

Landa attempts an apology, for calling Yates a "retard", on twitter & it's pishing rain.

Also, breaking news on an Austro/German doping investigation, Operation Aderlass, results in Durasek, UAE being suspended from the Tour of California & Koren Bahrain Merida being bumped from the Giro. Also talks of historical instances involving Petachi & Garzelli.

Edited by kiddy

• 2 weeks later...

Giro gone up a gear or two the past two days. Still feel it's roglic to lose especially with the final stage time trial. He'd have to have a Yatesesque blow up before then you'd imagine if the others were to stand a chance

Yesterday's stage finally got rid of the 'placeholders' from GC.  But the surprise was that it was Carapaz, not Roglic that went into pink with a superb breakaway.  Yates got a few seconds back as well.

The last part of the stage was very strange with the Roglic / Nibali group unwilling to chase down Carapaz and Yates.  I assumed none of them wanted to do the work for the others, but maybe they just didn't have the legs?

Yesterday's stage finally got rid of the 'placeholders' from GC.  But the surprise was that it was Carapaz, not Roglic that went into pink with a superb breakaway.  Yates got a few seconds back as well.
The last part of the stage was very strange with the Roglic / Nibali group unwilling to chase down Carapaz and Yates.  I assumed none of them wanted to do the work for the others, but maybe they just didn't have the legs?
It did come after a tough stage the previous day and several long stages. This has been one of those times Movistar having 2 leaders has worked to their advantage. Roglic in a great position though, being so close but with a big team being in control of the peloton. Why is Landa wearing the number 1 by the way? I assumed Ineos would get that since they are the team of the previous winner or failing that Dumoulim since he was the winner before that and 2nd last time out. It's not as if Movistar are first alphabetically either.

I wonder if roglic and nibali could end up shooting themselves in the foot here. Nibali has already criticised Roglic "negative" riding more than once in this giro. If a big hitter or two was to ride away from them when they didn't have any domestiques left I don't think nibali would be willing to chase for roglic