Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

You asked for it....

"London 2012 was an opportunity for the UK government, police and international security companies to trial new technologies aimed at addressing existing social problems in London (which became evident after the riots in 2011). With the World Cup and 2014 Olympics fast approaching, what new technologies can we expect to address Brazils social problems? And how might they be applied to control future civil unrest worldwide"

That's the sub-heading, the title will be something much shorter and interesting such as "Real Life Robocops"

It's all about facial recognition technology and the suchlike. Fire away with your contributions......

He said facial!

Guest honestrae95

Just work very hard on the Close Reading paper of the Higher English exam and you can easily get an A. Even if you can only get 13s/15s in your essays, close reading can drastically increase your grade.

Edited by honestrae95

Just work very hard on the Close Reading paper of the Higher English exam and you can easily get an A. Even if you can only get 13s/15s in your essays, close reading can drastically increase your grade.

I'm aiming for a B at least and was told by my teacher my coursework was comfortably of Higher standard. Also, I got 75% in the close reading in my prelim, so I think I should be fine.

I'm aiming for a B at least and was told by my teacher my coursework was comfortably of Higher standard. Also, I got 75% in the close reading in my prelim, so I think I should be fine. 

95% in my close reading and 25's in my essays.

Or was it out of 20? I can't remember. English truly is simple.

25 could be for advanced higher, I can't remember.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Guest honestrae95

Aye, Higher essays are out of 25. English is easy for some, hard for others. I personally found English pretty simple and the whole 'you have to read lots of books to get an A' a load of rubbish. Reading newspapers does help though.

I got two 17s in my essays and 43 out of 50 in the close reading.

Patched Advanced English though, didnt need it for my conditional to do Law at Glasgow.

Edited by honestrae95

Aye, Higher essays are out of 25. English is easy for some, hard for others. I personally found English pretty simple and the whole 'you have to read lots of books to get an A' a load of rubbish. Reading newspapers does help though.

Patched Advanced English though, didnt need it for my conditional to do Law at Glasgow.

Throughout Advanced Higher we were studying Shakespeare, John Keats and Evelyn Waugh.

We had to pick one topic to do our essays on, then choose between a folio or textual analysis which is a simple choice; folio every time.

For the required essays I chose Evelyn Waugh, and we were told we needed to get the books. I never got them and essentially made up quotes in the final exam and analysed them. Absolute cake walk.

If you made up the quotes, how did you manage to analyse techniques? Surely you wouldn't have been able to do that if they weren't actually in the book/poem? 

I had a brief knowledge of the book through stuff we learned in the classroom.

Analysing techniques isn't done as much in advanced higher, it's more situational analysis with some technique stuff thrown in.

I phrased it kind of badly anyway, paraphrasing is more accurate.

Ah yes, English higher close reading.

I didn't actually read the book for mine, found a copy of Cal in the school library which came with academic notes. I got a B.

I miss school.

Need to find a copy like this!

On another note, I'm taking my girlfriend to meet my grandparents tomorrow. This can only go well since my grandad is one of those casually racist old people whom speak without thinking first and blame everything that's wrong in the world on the Beatles.

Aye, basically exactly my viewpoint that if you just get good enough at close reading you'll get an A easy. Although its boring as f**k, I was actually decent at English.

Bizarrely, I'm fairly positive I also got two 17's and 43 out of 50!

Get ready for Law btw, I met a guy in my first week at Glasgow who was doing Law and he had a list of 11 books to get for the course! (Although maybe he didn't have a clue what he was doing!) :lol:

Aye, basically exactly my viewpoint that if you just get good enough at close reading you'll get an A easy. Although its boring as f**k, I was actually decent at English.

Bizarrely, I'm fairly positive I also got two 17's and 43 out of 50!

Get ready for Law btw, I met a guy in my first week at Glasgow who was doing Law and he had a list of 11 books to get for the course! (Although maybe he didn't have a clue what he was doing!) :lol:

Sounds like bullshit to me.

I'm far better at essays in English than the Close Reading (then again, in my school 30/50 for a Close Reading is regarded as excellent), the only issue being I haven't found or revised any quotes yet. I reckon I'll end up with a B which is quite frustrating, but given the fact I've had a disaster of a teacher, not all that bad.

Edited by the_bully_wee