Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

I asked my fiancé's dad before I proposed, because I knew he would appreciate it, and so would she.

And it's as simple as that. It's merely a polite gesture which would shows respect towards the woman you wish to marry and her family. Talk of "property" etc is a lot of nonsense, and sneering at a harmless tradition is a bit strange tbh. It harms no one.

I laughed at the fact 2 vl's just red dotted me. Don't worry Supras and McKee, your time will come.

And we're getting married next saturday in the church down the road.

I asked my fiancé's dad before I proposed, because I knew he would appreciate it, and so would she.

Tbh it's no surprise to see Perth society trapped in 17th Century conventions over patriarchy. At least he said yes or presumably you'd have gone up in the town wicker-man.

Asking permission :lol:

I get on great with my in-laws, but I'd never have dreamed about asking either of them for permission to marry their daughter.

We didn't even tell our parents when we got married 8)

Take that, convention.

Same here.

I did feel a wee bit sorry for the father in law, he had always wanted to walk his daughter down the aisle, him being a church elder and all that. I wouldn't have been there if she wanted a church wedding, thankfully, she didn't want any of that nonsense, she's very shy. At least we saved him some of his hard earned cash though.

Got to admire this couple though. Either on drugs or just very very confident individuals.

Dont see the funny side of this to be honest, each to there own

Because it's bloody ridiculous. As has been said, what if the faither had said no?

"Sir, I'd like to ask permission for your daughter's hand in marriage."

"Well, lad, sorry, but, erm, well, no."

"Oh! Right you are then. Cheers!"

Because it's bloody ridiculous. As has been said, what if the faither had said no?

"Sir, I'd like to ask permission for your daughter's hand in marriage."

"Well, lad, sorry, but, erm, well, no."

"Oh! Right you are then. Cheers!"

f**k sake gaz, I had you down as being slightly more intelligent than that, do you really think that's how it happens lol

f**k sake gaz, I had you down as being slightly more intelligent than that, do you really think that's how it happens lol

I'm well aware that that's not exactly how it happens - I'm being obtuse, but asking a father's permission to marry his daughter is a ridiculous concept.

Guest The Phoenix

It's not really Gaz, it's simply a time old tradition that for some will be seen to be past its sell by date.

I asked my father-in-law 32 years ago if I could do him a favour and I've now been married to her for 31 years.

My now son-in-law asked me if he could take my daughter's hand in marriage and despite my warning, he went ahead anyway.

My son's a bit slow on the uptake but he's now finished University and working full time and I expect he'll be asking his future father-in-law if he can make an honest woman of his daughter.

I've no idea why Swampy is getting his knickers in such a twist (I lie, we all know why) but asking permission is a personal choice and no big deal either way.

Spot on old boy. I had asked my wife beforehand to marry me, and she had accepted. I thought it would be a nice touch asking my father-in-law if he was ok with it. Some people like it, some don't. It's a matter of personal opinion, nothing more than that.

It's not really Gaz, it's simply a time old tradition that for some will be seen to be past its sell by date.

I asked my father-in-law 32 years ago if I could do him a favour and I've now been married to her for 31 years.

My now son-in-law asked me if he could take my daughter's hand in marriage and despite my warning, he went ahead anyway.

My son's a bit slow on the uptake but he's now finished University and working full time and I expect he'll be asking his future father-in-law if he can make an honest woman of his daughter.

I've no idea why Swampy is getting his knickers in such a twist (I lie, we all know why) but asking permission is a personal choice and no big deal either way.

I think I explained my reasoning pretty well in posts 12245 (the latter part), 12549 (the first three sentences), and 12539. You're obviously free to disagree with them, but if you have "no idea" it's either because you haven't read my posts (in which case you shouldn't really be commenting on them) or you're deliberately failing to understand them.

I also covered in post 12246 why I think 'talking about it' and 'getting one's knickers in a twist' should be gently separated. You're using the latter as a passive-aggressive way to silence discussion on this. There's really no need to do that when you could just close the thread.

Guest The Phoenix

There's really no need to do that when you could just close the thread.

I can close threads that I didn't start?

Wow, I never realised I was special in that sense. :D