Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

AI rapper FN Meka dropped by Capitol over racial stereotyping - BBC News

A record label has cut ties with an AI rapper after criticism it contained racial stereotypes, including repeated use of the N-word.

FN Meka is an artificial intelligence musician given the appearance of a black male cyborg.

But Capitol Music Group (CMG) faced a backlash for signing the rapper.

In a statement announcing they had severed ties, CMG offered its "deepest apologies to the black community for our insensitivity".

FN Meka currently has more than 500,000 monthly Spotify subscribers and more than one billion views on its TikTok account.

Its Instagram account, which has more than 220,000 followers, has been made private.

FN Meka's songs are performed by an anonymous black man, according to Anthony Martini who is one of the cofounders of Factory New, a company responsible for the AI.

In an interview in 2021, he said a human voice "performs the vocals, but we are working towards the ability to have a computer come up with and perform its own words - and even collaborate with other computers as co-writers".

Screengrab from FN Meka's TikTok

Uh-huh.

One thing that's been on my mind recently is the good old fashioned slap on the rump, in the context of sporting events. I'm sure it used to be a lot more common for a coach to motivate his team members using this method prior to games, but has waned of late. It's still quite common in rugby. 

My question is - Is it still acceptable, and should I attempt a rump slap at my next fives game?

20 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

One thing that's been on my mind recently is the good old fashioned slap on the rump, in the context of sporting events. I'm sure it used to be a lot more common for a coach to motivate his team members using this method prior to games, but has waned of late. It's still quite common in rugby. 

My question is - Is it still acceptable, and should I attempt a rump slap at my next fives game?

I suggest you attempt it and let us know how you got on. It's the only way to be sure. 

From the BBC report on the Edinburgh bin strike:

Rhona O'Brien, 35, from Dublin, said: "We came over for the Coldplay concert and we were wondering why there were so many people and so much litter.

"We had no idea there was a festival on or a bin strike.

Aye, it's not as if there was much publicity about it...

8 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

No. And Yes.