Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

3 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

One time, at around 1640 on a Sunday (bang-up being 1700 and hometime 1715),a young lad used it in the Cleaners'Office, and I swear the pool table must have already been in the air, flying towards the association room doors. We eventually left the jail at around two the next morning, leaving behind an unholy mess and a bulging segregation unit.

You really need to agree whether or not two shots carry before the break.

They make this sound like a bad thing. Surely people are capable of understand the broad spectrum between good guy and c**t and should be able to receive impartial well informed information from the NT.

I'm a bit unsure on the whole diversity training, I've never had to do it but I can't imagine it's particularly useful or enlightening, surely as you allude to it's just basically, other people have different beliefs, don't be a dickhead about it. 

I can't imagine it strays down the whole white straight men are the devil route so overall I don't know what there would be to get worked up about. I'd welcome it at my work if it meant paid time off. 

Diversity seems to be in the news today, I probably need some diversity training as I enjoyed Luther but never picked up on any issues with it. 

Luther's lack of black friends 'doesn't feel authentic', BBC diversity chief says

TV detective Luther "doesn't feel authentic" because he has no black friends and doesn't eat Caribbean food, a BBC diversity boss has suggested.

Idris Elba plays detective Luther in the critically-acclaimed BBC drama of the same name, which has ran for five seasons since 2010

She added though that by the second series, she was questioning the character's authenticity.

Ms Wayland said that TV bosses must ensure that black characters are supported by an environment and culture that is "absolutely reflective" of their background.

"But after you got into about the second series, you were kind of like 'okay, actually he doesn't have any black friends, he doesn't eat any Caribbean food, this doesn't feel authentic

"So I think it is great having those big landmark shows with those key characters, but it is about making sure that everything around them - their environment, their culture, the set - is absolutely reflective."

A BBC spokeswoman said: "Luther is a multi-award-winning crime drama series and the iconic role of DCI John Luther has become one of TV's most powerful detective characters, of which we are tremendously proud

The BBC is committed to its continued investment in diversity and recent BBC One dramas I May Destroy You and Small Axe are testament to that."

An additional statement added: "Of course people can have open discussions about our shows but that doesn't mean it's a statement of policy."

Ms Wayland has been the BBC's head of creative diversity since February 2020, and was appointed as part of the corporation's commitment to deliver more on-air diversity

1 hour ago, Stormzy said:

I'm a bit unsure on the whole diversity training, I've never had to do it but I can't imagine it's particularly useful or enlightening, surely as you allude to it's just basically, other people have different beliefs, don't be a dickhead about it. 

I can't imagine it strays down the whole white straight men are the devil route so overall I don't know what there would be to get worked up about. I'd welcome it at my work if it meant paid time off. 

I'm amazed you have found employment that doesn't have some kind of diversity training  tbh. Yeh it gives you an insight into significant times of year and you can also do a test albeit it's not exactly scientific to see if you view "types" of people negatively.

11 minutes ago, bennett said:

Diversity seems to be in the news today, I probably need some diversity training as I enjoyed Luther but never picked up on any issues with it. 

Luther's lack of black friends 'doesn't feel authentic', BBC diversity chief says

TV detective Luther "doesn't feel authentic" because he has no black friends and doesn't eat Caribbean food, a BBC diversity boss has suggested.

Idris Elba plays detective Luther in the critically-acclaimed BBC drama of the same name, which has ran for five seasons since 2010

She added though that by the second series, she was questioning the character's authenticity.

Ms Wayland said that TV bosses must ensure that black characters are supported by an environment and culture that is "absolutely reflective" of their background.

"But after you got into about the second series, you were kind of like 'okay, actually he doesn't have any black friends, he doesn't eat any Caribbean food, this doesn't feel authentic

"So I think it is great having those big landmark shows with those key characters, but it is about making sure that everything around them - their environment, their culture, the set - is absolutely reflective."

A BBC spokeswoman said: "Luther is a multi-award-winning crime drama series and the iconic role of DCI John Luther has become one of TV's most powerful detective characters, of which we are tremendously proud

The BBC is committed to its continued investment in diversity and recent BBC One dramas I May Destroy You and Small Axe are testament to that."

An additional statement added: "Of course people can have open discussions about our shows but that doesn't mean it's a statement of policy."

Ms Wayland has been the BBC's head of creative diversity since February 2020, and was appointed as part of the corporation's commitment to deliver more on-air diversity

Thinking back to it he has pretty much no friends in the series and there are very few scenes of him eating. I can't help but think that had they gone down the suggested route it would have been pretty awful and surely Idris can tell if he was being true to himself as a black man.

10 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The secret of all compulsory workplace e-learning is to go straight to the test without reading any of the material. I pass within 6 or 7 attempt a usually.

Absolutely this. Especially if the test takes you back to the actual answer in the training you've just skipped any time you get a question wrong 

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The secret of all compulsory workplace e-learning is to go straight to the test without reading any of the material. I pass within 6 or 7 attempts usually.

I prefer a thorough re-examination of all the reading material, including the optional appendages. No matter how many times I've done the exact same thing previously.

Used to have a guy in my work who "didn't do computers." Come training time it'd take him about four hours to do something the rest of us could manage in ten minutes. Nothing but respect.

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

The secret of all compulsory workplace e-learning is to go straight to the test without reading any of the material. I pass within 6 or 7 attempts usually.
Absolute no brainer to take the gamble.

And the odds move further in your favour when you know that any time all of the above is an option, its the correct option

4 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I made a crucial mistake at the end of one of those monstrosities. I was having a shite day at work and just finished one and this thing popped up on the screen asking me to rate the test. I angrily selected the one star option.  

Within ten minutes my phone started ringing and after I ignored it for a third time I got a stern email asking why I had given it this rating and what would I suggest doing differently.  I meekly emailed back saying sorry must have pressed the button by mistake.

5 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I did diversity training for the first time last month. Lot of patronising shite imo.

I agree with this.

As a result of a comment made by a colleague many years ago, a departing agency worker made a complaint.

As a result, every member of the department had to undertake the course, by this time the guilty party had left as he was already due to retire.

Over 100 people at great expense had to sit through why this c**t was bad and we shouldn't be.

8 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I have decided to watch 'Curb your enthusiasm' as I've never bothered with it before. First episode down, a good start. 

It’s brilliant, well worth sticking with. The first season is probably the poorest one, gets better after that.