Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

5 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

On the topic of pool rules, from an open table situation following a break from which no balls were potted, can you legally pot a red by hitting a yellow first and then carry on?  Or by choosing to hit the yellow first, does the resulting potting of the red result in a foul?

Not au fait with the exact rules but I've always played that until something drops everything is fair game so in the scenario you're describing there I reckon that there is no foul and the player is now on the reds.

Edited by jimbaxters

10 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Not au fait with the exact rules but I've always played that until something drops everything is fair game so in the scenario you're describing there I reckon that there is no foul and the player is now on the reds.

Now picture the scenario in which the same thing happens, but this time after a yellow AND a red are potted straight from the break.  Can the same 'yellow onto red into pocket' shot be done then???

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Now picture the scenario in which the same thing happens, but this time after a yellow AND a red are potted straight from the break.  Can the same 'yellow onto red into pocket' shot be done then???

Again just going by the rules I've played by but when a yellow and a red both go in off the break, the player has to nominate which colour he is now on. Hence the next part is moot and/or a foul. Interested to see if I'm way off on this though. Tell me.

7 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

You choose which colour you are if this happens, I think. Same if no balls are potted. Don't think you can hit other colour once you've nominated.

Edited by Cyclizine

5 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

You nominate which colour you are, and from that point onwards you have to strike your own colour first in all circumstances

Just now, madwullie said:

You nominate which colour you are, and from that point onwards you have to strike your own colour first in all circumstances

Including when nothing has been potted I presume (ie. Baxter's initial rule is fantasy)?

This has created quite the heated debate amongst the just off-shift nightshifters offshore. 

20 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Including when nothing has been potted I presume (ie. Baxter's initial rule is fantasy)?

This has created quite the heated debate amongst the just off-shift nightshifters offshore. 

Ah no sorry, I thought your double pot thing happened with no balls potted. 

Personally, we've always played that whichever ball you strike first must be the colour that you pot or its a foul, but I have a nagging feeling the official rules say otherwise. 

20 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

So when nothing is potted from the break the next player has to nominate his colour? I thought everything was available until something was potted. 

I shall await confirmation from at least 10 posters from this post forth of which way is correct before I concede anything.

Actually when you think about it, you must be able to strike a yellow to knock a red in before anything is potted. Think about the break for eg - you will often pot off the break, and there's never any consideration given to which colour ball was struck first in that circumstance

@Hedgecutter

1 minute ago, jimbaxters said:

So when nothing is potted from the break the next player has to nominate his colour? I thought everything was available until something was potted. 

I shall await confirmation from at least 10 posters from this post forth of which way is correct before I concede anything.

I think I've misunderstood the explanation of what is going on. Please mentally bin my contributions. 

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

Wait a minute, are we allowed to play pool again?

Only on Zoom. You each have your own table and when it's your turn to play you have to manually position your balls (Kenneth is asleep) to match those of your opponent before taking your shot.

I was at five sisters zoo today. Their lions are fucking ENORMOUS. Stood right at the fence and one of them was sort of roaring. The noise that comes out of a lion close up is genuinely terrifying. Walking towards the enclosure I thought it was a speaker playing lion sounds. Phenomenal animals. Could not take in square go.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

I was at five sisters zoo today. Their lions are fucking ENORMOUS. Stood right at the fence and one of them was sort of roaring. The noise that comes out of a lion close up is genuinely terrifying. Walking towards the enclosure I thought it was a speaker playing lion sounds. Phenomenal animals. Could not take in square go.

51e6U4ggunL._AC_SX425_.jpg

27 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The patchwork nature of that place definitely gives it a Joe Exotic vibe. The entrance where the house is has a very "travellers built a zoo in their yard" feel about it.

44 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

^^
image.thumb.jpeg.fa21aee6fd1b8b41916749a188d9f00d.jpeg