Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

On this phone stuff, I'm always amazed at the number of notifications that folk still leave turned on. The only time my phone buzzes and/or has a notification show up on the home screen is if I get a text or phone call, plus for the football app I use for score updates (which obviously doesn't do them during the night). Then you've got folk like my wife, whose phone buzzes every time she gets an email, Whatsapp or Facebook message - I don't understand how she tolerates it.

57 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

On this phone stuff, I'm always amazed at the number of notifications that folk still leave turned on. The only time my phone buzzes and/or has a notification show up on the home screen is if I get a text or phone call, plus for the football app I use for score updates (which obviously doesn't do them during the night). Then you've got folk like my wife, whose phone buzzes every time she gets an email, Whatsapp or Facebook message - I don't understand how she tolerates it.

I’m the same - only got texts and calls turned on. No one texts nowadays except Dominos anyway.

42 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Genuinely never heard of anyone turning their wifi off at night. Is it through fear of it spontaneously combusting?

I thought it was an old person thing to avoid being burned alive in a fire from an overheated plug. I remember my parents unplugging lamps, the telly etc. I never really questioned it until much later. Why didn't they unplug the fridge or the washing machine?

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I don't have a problem with people switching things off at night though, if it saves a little energy and money. 

^^^Goes round the house taking all the plugs out and checking the windows and doors.

Probably weighs the bin lid down...just in case!

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Genuinely never heard of anyone turning their wifi off at night. Is it through fear of it spontaneously combusting?

No, just to save energy and money. 

Is any different from turning off anything else you aren't using?

Just now, DA Baracus said:

No, just to save energy and money. 

Is any different from turning off anything else you aren't using?

The savings must be miniscule. I reckon my smart meter shows a maximum of about 3p of usage when I wake up each morning. If I'm at home the wifi will be getting used one way or another. 

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

The savings must be miniscule. I reckon my smart meter shows a maximum of about 3p of usage when I wake up each morning. If I'm at home the wifi will be getting used one way or another. 

I don't use Wifi when I sleep so I don't need it. Off it goes. 

Just now, The Moonster said:

Fair enough, I barely turn anything off at the plug when I go to sleep. Habits I suppose. 

I turn everything off save for the fridge, the electric toothbrush and the socket in my bedroom that has a double plug in it (lamp and phone charger).

But then again that's only just 1 socket to turn off (the main room one that has an extension lead with the TV, Wifi and Xbox plugged in; the TV and Xbox aren't plugged in unless I'm using them though).

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I turn everything off save for the fridge, the electric toothbrush and the socket in my bedroom that has a double plug in it (lamp and phone charger).

But then again that's only just 1 socket to turn off (the main room one that has an extension lead with the TV, Wifi and Xbox plugged in; the TV and Xbox aren't plugged in unless I'm using them though).

So you turn off WiFi at night because you're not using it but keep the electric toothbrush on. Eh?

I was told once that you shouldn't charge the phone to 100% so should be done during waking hours and whipped off the charge at 90%ish. This was when I had to get a new battery for an older iphone. Followed the advice for about two days then reverted to type.

Edited by jimbaxters

Guest bernardblack
23 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

So you turn off WiFi at night because you're not using it but keep the electric toothbrush on. Eh?

I was told once that you shouldn't charge the phone to 100% so should be done during waking hours and whipped off the charge at 90%ish. This was when I had to get a new battery for an older iphone. Followed the advice for about two days then reverted to type.

Aye charging your phone overnight, every night, is a quick way to ruin the battery. 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Considering you shared with us your energy bill info recently I find this pretty surprising.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

The toothbrush needs to charge.

Just now, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Watching (well listening while mucking about on my phone) to Snackmasters (tv show where celeb chefs try to copy famous branded foods from scratch). Tom Aitkens is on it- he seems like a despicable human being where a boot to the baws is clearly vastly overdue. 

Watched that earlier. Thought he was a twat as well.

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

Watched that earlier. Thought he was a twat as well.

Read a bit more. He once burned a junior chef with a hot kitchen knife when head chef at the age of 26. He has a worse record than Sevco for folding businesses, leaving suppliers in the shit, then starting new restaurants and getting more Michelin stars. Made the decision to boycott his £145 taster menu from now on.