Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

21 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

No, but the distances are so big we might as well be. Wouldn't be amazed if they found very simple life under an ice sheet on Europa or somewhere like that, but the chances of us encountering intelligent life and having Star Trek-style adventures with them in our lifetime are about the same as the odds of Clyde winning the Champions League ten years running.

Encountering intelligent life on here is difficult enough let alone aliens.

7 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

No. I've been reading about this recently and it's a fascinating subject. In our galaxy there's probably trillions of places that have the things needed for life to develop (current estimates are 25% of stars have a planet in the goldilocks zone, and then on top of this are all the moons of gas giants like Enceladus and Europa that are candidates too. There's even been some research suggesting life developed more than once on earth. So the odds of us being the main deal are laughably small.

But then that invokes the Fermi Paradox  - if probability tells us there's got to be life all over the place, why have we not seen any of it? It implies, philosophically speaking, that all potential civilisations out there encounter some insurmountable obstacle that destroys them. So then the question is: have we already passed that obstacle, or is it in our future? Given the conditions to support life existed quite early on in the history of the universe (within millions of years of the big bang), the fact we're 14 billion years in and not heard a note doesn't bode well if you've bet the house on option number 1.

Given that we've only been transmitting radio signals for 125 years it's unlikely that any intelligent life form has picked them up, to make our pale blue dot of any interest. And, assuming that faster than light travel is impossible it would likely take thousands of years for them to reach us. So it's unsurprising if it seems that we're all alone. I would have thought we would have picked up some signal from a long dead civilisation by now though.

45 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Do people on here believe that there is nothing out there, and that we are the only inhabited planet in the universe?

Thank you.

Do you believe that there is intelligent life in Monifieth?

50 minutes ago, throbber said:

Your being very selective when talking about my behaviours though, most the time I’m fairly normal. Plus I don’t want to go bothering the health service with any my problems in this current climate: 

I know. A less selective post would soon be deep into TL/DR territory.

35 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Do people on here believe that there is nothing out there, and that we are the only inhabited planet in the universe?

Thank you.

There's a huge amount of room between steadyfastly insisting that Earth is the only planet in the universe containing advanced lifeforms, and assuming every unexplained anomaly in the sky is proof we've been visited by advanced alien life.

Think it's pretty safe to say that anyone who is determined the aliens are here feels that way out of a desire for it to be true, however. Same as belief in specific deity figures. And that dead football clubs can transubstantiate into new ones.

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Somebody should be taking odds on which tinfoil hat wearing cult throbber ends up joining.

He's clearly been weighing up his options for a while now.

He's already a Hibee ... :lol:

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Celtgers fan I presume?

Probably, he said he wasn't into football when I first moved in, but within a week offered to take my kids for a kick about. Erm...No, weirdo.

5 hours ago, GordonD said:

To be fair it's not the thing that gets casually mentioned over the garden fence.

Had a few run ins with him, so don't have any kind of conversation with him, read about his vile antics in the paper.

8 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Do you believe that there is intelligent life in Monifieth?

No, it's full of snobs, DAB's and SNP clowns, posting up pictures of their postage stamp sized swimming pools, libraries and monoblock driveways,  in their Betts/ DJ Laings abodes.

Thank you.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again