Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

What's people's thoughts on this guy who "fell" from a bridge over Edinburgh Bypass at the weekend?

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-city-bypass-closed-due-17838626

There is footage online of the guy dangling from a noose from the bridge in broad daylight over traffic with a group of people attempting to rescue him. Clearly not in the best of places mentally but that is an utterly shite place to attempt to end yourself IMO. 

I do always wonder what goes through someone's heid who's topping themselves publicly. Are they trying to do it that way on purpose or just an act of desperation where they haven't even considered that aspect? Can of worms right enough

I don’t think you can ever try to rationalise the mind of someone who is attempting suicide. Dee Man’s post comes over a bit cuntish.

5 hours ago, Dee Man said:

What's people's thoughts on this guy who "fell" from a bridge over Edinburgh Bypass at the weekend?

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-city-bypass-closed-due-17838626

There is footage online of the guy dangling from a noose from the bridge in broad daylight over traffic with a group of people attempting to rescue him. Clearly not in the best of places mentally but that is an utterly shite place to attempt to end yourself IMO. 

What sort of person films someone attemptin to kill themselves?  I suppose it could be dashcams and not specifically but there's been instances of people lining up in view of jumpers with cameraphones.

Just now, Dosser-fae-the-shire said:

I don’t think you can ever try to rationalise the mind of someone who is attempting suicide.

Hmm... maybe. It might not be a thought process we're used to but I'd imagine someone purposefully choosing a public place to end it all has came to that conclusion through some kind of thought process. Rational or not it must have seemed logical to them at the time. I know there are folk who commit suicide as a form of protest, so a public one makes sense, but just some poor fella with depression? I can only presume the public aspect of it hasn't even entered their head.

44 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

What sort of person films someone attemptin to kill themselves?  I suppose it could be dashcams and not specifically but there's been instances of people lining up in view of jumpers with cameraphones.

It's a 10 year old girl who is filming from a distance as they see a bit of drama ahead. As they get closer and realise what is happening there is a blood curdling scream from the car. 

I don’t think you can ever try to rationalise the mind of someone who is attempting suicide. Dee Man’s post comes over a bit cuntish.
When my mum was in a mental hospital over the xmas period , she got friends / talking to many in there and at least two of them my mum told me who tried to kill themselves.
One via the bridge and the other via attempting to walk infront of the train.
The reasoning I was told for one of them I dont wanna go on about but yeah I didnt know what to say to my mum. In their at one point she was more worried about others than herself , just type of women she is.

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

It's a 10 year old girl who is filming from a distance as they see a bit of drama ahead. As they get closer and realise what is happening there is a blood curdling scream from the car. 

FFS. That's horrendous.

5 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I do always wonder what goes through someone's heid who's topping themselves publicly. Are they trying to do it that way on purpose or just an act of desperation where they haven't even considered that aspect? Can of worms right enough

I doubt it was a coincidence he chose such a public place with the potential of being seen by hundreds of people before his body could be recovered. Have no idea how people could get to him so quickly to stop the hanging from killing him though, you surely don’t have long to be hanging from the neck until you are dead? I wonder if he will face criminal charged as well, he has surely broken numerous laws by doing this but I hope he gets the help he needs. 

I was asked at short notice earlier today to attend a short meeting with my boss because I was witness to the above event (not the moment of the jump but the moments after) on my way back to Riccarton on Saturday. Basically just wanted to know if I was ok and to let him know if I ever feel distressed, need to speak to someone etc.

Truth be told I didn’t see too much other than a commotion of folk trying to help the chap. Normally I feel mostly sympathetic towards people who’ve gotten to the point they want to end their life, but in this particular instance I am torn because I also feel a bit angry at him choosing a very public place and busy time of day to attempt suicide.

I had an argument with a friend the other week, as his nephew's train was delayed due to someone being hit by a train near Longniddry. He described it as an "inconvenience". Aye, try telling that to the family, or the train driver for that matter...

1 hour ago, throbber said:

I doubt it was a coincidence he chose such a public place with the potential of being seen by hundreds of people before his body could be recovered. Have no idea how people could get to him so quickly to stop the hanging from killing him though, you surely don’t have long to be hanging from the neck until you are dead? I wonder if he will face criminal charged as well, he has surely broken numerous laws by doing this but I hope he gets the help he needs. 

I was watching a Michael Portillo thing about executions yesterday, and in the old public hangings the entertainment was seeing them wriggle for half an hour. To do it properly you want an 8 foot drop so you die instantly. The trick for the later hangman was to set it so it would sever your neckbone without taking your head clean off. 

39 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I was watching a Michael Portillo thing about executions yesterday, and in the old public hangings the entertainment was seeing them wriggle for half an hour. To do it properly you want an 8 foot drop so you die instantly. The trick for the later hangman was to set it so it would sever your neckbone without taking your head clean off. 

There's instantly and then there's sitting for a few weeks or months thinking about it and the walk up to the gallows.

I never got the last meal thing, I'm not sure my appetite would be up to much.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

I had an argument with a friend the other week, as his nephew's train was delayed due to someone being hit by a train near Longniddry. He described it as an "inconvenience". Aye, try telling that to the family, or the train driver for that matter...

Sad but true though, the world doesn’t come to a stand still every time someone dies otherwise we would never get anything done. Imagine how many people are affected by someone jumping in front of a train, some would be left hugely traumatised where as others would be largely inconvenienced because their journey can’t go as planned but the impact this sort of thing is massive.