Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

28 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Yep, it was just the term used to describe the movement problems of people with conditions like Cerebral Palsy. So everybody took to calling each other "spastics" as an insult, and doing the hilarious impressions that were so big on the playground. The Americans don't seem to care so much about the feelings of people with disabilities, so spastic is still an acceptable insult, along with retard.

Looking forward to the input from the anti-PC brigade on this topic, especially the inevitable, "my mate's a spastic and doesn't complain".

Indeed. There are many examples of yesterday's terms being pejorative today, and what is accepted today will later become incorrect. Some great Victorian names of institutions like St Jude's Asylum for Imbeciles.

3 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

Indeed. There are many examples of yesterday's terms being pejorative today, and what is accepted today will later become incorrect. Some great Victorian names of institutions like St Jude's Asylum for Imbeciles.

The Juniors Forum is a snappier name for it tbf. 

It’s a few years before my time but Blue Peter once had a regular guest who had cerebral palsy, in order to help kids understand and empathise with disabled people. His name was Joey Deacon and for years afterwards if you did something stupid in the playground people would call you Joey Deacon.

Kids aren’t nice tbh, it’s all part of growing up. The headmaster of our primary school had a surname that rhymed with a racial slur and when we were about ten to be daring kids would see if they could chant “Mr xxx is a *racial slur*” as close to earshot as possible without getting caught. I was a good kid so never took it to extremes but I’m sure I joined in with it, no-one knew any better.

The other big insult in our primary school was to call someone “brain damaged” as in “Don’t ask him Miss, he’s got brain damage” with much hilarity ensuing. I’d actually forgotten that people said that until now, what an appalling thing to say.

16 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It’s a few years before my time but Blue Peter once had a regular guest who had cerebral palsy, in order to help kids understand and empathise with disabled people. His name was Joey Deacon and for years afterwards if you did something stupid in the playground people would call you Joey Deacon.

Kids aren’t nice tbh, it’s all part of growing up. The headmaster of our primary school had a surname that rhymed with a racial slur and when we were about ten to be daring kids would see if they could chant “Mr xxx is a *racial slur*” as close to earshot as possible without getting caught. I was a good kid so never took it to extremes but I’m sure I joined in with it, no-one knew any better.

Thats a blast from the past! Totally forgot that my old boss used to call me Joey, on account of how I’d end up after too much booze.

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

We used to make an "" Nnnnnn "sort of sound and flap our hands a bit.

Also, a friend of mine who hasn't posted on here for a while most certainly IS a spastic but does NOT like being called it. Which is tough shit.

That reminded me of the Simpsons ep where Apu thinks he is a hummingbird

9 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The correction from her staff is just as bad. 

" No she didn't mean he was a vegetable. Just that he was in the same state as one" wtf is wrong with these folk are they not meant to be clever. Most folk understand if you have a brain injury you are hardly in the picture of health.

19 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Yep, it was just the term used to describe the movement problems of people with conditions like Cerebral Palsy. So everybody took to calling each other "spastics" as an insult, and doing the hilarious impressions that were so big on the playground. The Americans don't seem to care so much about the feelings of people with disabilities, so spastic is still an acceptable insult, along with retard.

Looking forward to the input from the anti-PC brigade on this topic, especially the inevitable, "my mate's a spastic and doesn't complain".

My granddaughter has cerebral palsy and  in her diagnosis has quad spasticity. The word spastic is still used, unfortunately it’s still used to mock. We’ve come a long way with offensive words of the past, the disabled however are still seen as fair game 

1 hour ago, heedthebaa said:

My granddaughter has cerebral palsy and  in her diagnosis has quad spasticity. The word spastic is still used, unfortunately it’s still used to mock. We’ve come a long way with offensive words of the past, the disabled however are still seen as fair game 

Yes, spasticity is a medical term that describes increased muscle tone (stiffness) along with brisk reflexes and a variable degree of paralysis. Sadly it has become a term of abuse.

7 minutes ago, Dele said:

I use 4 eggs every day and scramble them. I add nothing but a touch of salt and pepper. 

The same size eggs today produced almost double the quantity of scrambled egg than 9o% of the time happens. 

Not even some butter? Or finish them with a splash of cream? Perhaps some finely chopped chives on top? 

3 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Not even some butter? Or finish them with a splash of cream? Perhaps some finely chopped chives on top? 

I used to use butter but then I would sometimes have toast as well so there would be butter there, too. 

Never tried cream. Chives I just can't be bothered buying simply for scrambled eggs. 

I need to get back to the overnight oats. This standing at a hob first thing in the morning is bullshit. 

Edited by Dele