Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

4 hours ago, GordonD said:

Not necessarily, if you're a seven-foot basketball player.

The Yanks have gone into meltdown because the BBC accidentally showed footage of the wrong person in their original news report. One reporter accused them of getting "two big Black men confused" and demanded to know if an apology had been issued yet.

Well, yes, one was issued within fifteen minutes, and no, what actually happened was that the BBC confused two players of what is in the UK a minority sport. I may get pelters for this but I doubt Kobe Bryant could be classed as a household name here.

If your average UK punter was in charge of the news then I'd accept things like this might happen. The BBC are a national broadcaster and have teams of folk who put news items together, you really shouldn't be firing up incorrect images of what is one of the biggest Basketball stars ever. It's a stupid, lazy mistake and it's no surprise that it's drawn the comments that it has.

35 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If your average UK punter was in charge of the news then I'd accept things like this might happen. The BBC are a national broadcaster and have teams of folk who put news items together, you really shouldn't be firing up incorrect images of what is one of the biggest Basketball stars ever. It's a stupid, lazy mistake and it's no surprise that it's drawn the comments that it has.

I agree. If you're tasked with finding a picture to illustrate a story of a dead celebrity, it doesn't matter whether you've heard of them, or know what they look like. You have an obligation to make sure you have the right person.

Back in the days when newspapers were relevant, any young reporter starting out at a local rag was put in charge of obituaries and death notices. Misspelled names, errors in dates of birth or death, or any other mistake would mean a mob of relatives coming after you. Many journalists credited this with an attention to detail which served them well in their later careers.

There's lots of people in the Dead Pool thread who I wouldn't have recognised while they were alive. Doesn't mean it would be acceptable for me to put up a photo of someone else if I was a professional journalist, especially for an organisation like the BBC.

My wife was watching the news with me when they did it and she noticed and she barely knows that sport exists.  It was pretty easy to tell as the footage they showed featured LeBrfon James, with his jersey clearly visible.

21 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

45+ minutes our next door neighbour has stood in the cold and rain, yakking to my youngest step daughter. WTF do women find to talk about for that length of time?

You. They will be talking about you.

6 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I'd be the last thing they'd be talking about.

Olden days and recent shite gossip, apparently.

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

45+ minutes our next door neighbour has stood in the cold and rain, yakking to my youngest step daughter. WTF do women find to talk about for that length of time?

2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Yeah. "Your stepdad is really creepy. He's been standing watching us for the last 45 minutes. With his hands in his pockets too - I'm sure he's fiddling with himself."

7 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Yeah. "Your stepdad is really creepy. He's been standing watching us for the last 45 minutes. With his hands in his pockets too - I'm sure he's fiddling with himself."

Unless she's eyes in the back of her head, that's highly unlikely.