Ad Lib

Things you want to share with P&B

You would think it would be quite important to put where they are based on their website as well. I don't even know which country it is. 
Aye, the .ie domain name and the Irish dialling code was confusing for me too.

22 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:
12 hours ago, Dee Man said:
You would think it would be quite important to put where they are based on their website as well. I don't even know which country it is. 

Aye, the .ie domain name and the Irish dialling code was confusing for me too.

No offence m8, but that attempt at sarcasm might have worked if international dialling codes and country domain names were common knowledge. I might even have given you it if it was blatantly obvious that '.ie' was Ireland. 

Other than that it was well funny. 

15 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

No offence m8, but that attempt at sarcasm might have worked if international dialling codes and country domain names were common knowledge. I might even have given you it if it was blatantly obvious that '.ie' was Ireland. 

Other than that it was well funny. 

In fairness it also says Borris, Co Carlow, ROI at the very top of the page. 

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Why visit a country with such an horrendous human rights record?

ask Craig Murray

724463148_craigmurray.jpg.769e61f3682e9de73368caff02e4ca37.jpg

11 hours ago, Malky3 said:

In fairness it also says Borris, Co Carlow, ROI at the very top of the page. 

Not on the mobile friendly page. Without labouring the point too much, there is literally nothing on the page that identifies where they are (unless you are familiar with international dialling codes).

20190720_155138.jpg

Edited by Dee Man

38 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Not on the mobile friendly page. Without labouring the point too much, there is literally nothing on the page that identifies where they are (unless you are familiar with international dialling codes).

20190720_155138.jpg

If someone’s called Whelan, there’s a 96.7% chance they’re Irish.

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

If someone’s called Whelan, there’s a 96.7% chance they’re Irish.

“Why isn’t he called Murphy like all the rest of them”.

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Paddy Murphy? You know him?

I know his brother Mick.

I once worked on a building site in Corkerhill where Ogilvie’s site agent was a wee bulbous Irish chap called Boaby Phelan.

From the Independent website.

I have not read the story as I’m worried that it will not be as good as the headline.

7F6B31B9-E780-4669-91DE-9FF76EBA420D.jpeg.de568308eeef3f3862658b6563312329.jpeg

View this morning at Applecross. Incredible. The drive however was interesting 20190720_113123.jpeg

View this morning at Applecross. Incredible. The drive however was interesting 20190720_113123.thumb.jpeg.f413c974e30a5c106728862d4d65d26d.jpeg

Caravans and potholes everywhere?

4 hours ago, Dee Man said:

20190720_155138.jpg

What part of the blatantly obvious .ie address do you not understand? 

14 minutes ago, virginton said:

What part of the blatantly obvious .ie address do you not understand? 

I'm not sure you understand the meaning of the phrase "blatantly obvious", m8. 

Ignoring every other country having an i and an e in it's name for a second, explain to me how that domain name is "blatantly obviously" Ireland and not say, Iceland?

Edited by Dee Man

6 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I'm not sure you understand the meaning of the phrase "blatantly obvious", m8. 

Ignoring every other country having an i and an e in it's name for a second, explain to me how that domain name is "blatantly obviously" Ireland and not say, Iceland?

A: Because the combined facts that the website is called 'Daniel Whelan Engineering', is produced in the English language and the .ie domain makes it intuitively fucking obvious that the company in question is based in Ireland. If the page and title of the website contained a set of long words and indecipherable, rune-like letters then it would be quite clear instead that it was Iceland and not Ireland. Even a four year old could make this utterly basic, logical deduction.  

Coming up next time, Dee Man gets just as confused and furious because he can't tell whether a .uk company is based either in the British Isles or Tashkent, Uzbekistan!

A: Because the combined facts that the website is called 'Daniel Whelan Engineering', is produced in the English language and the .ie domain makes it intuitively fucking obvious that the company in question is based in Ireland. If the page and title of the website contained a set of long words and indecipherable, rune-like letters then it would be quite clear instead that it was Iceland and not Ireland. Even a four year old could make this utterly basic, logical deduction.  
Coming up next time, Dee Man gets just as confused and furious because he can't tell whether a .uk company is based either in the British Isles or Tashkent, Uzbekistan!

Not everyone is cool enough to know about ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 country codes

Obviously the seriously cool people like you and me do but we shouldn’t really show off about it

12 minutes ago, virginton said:

Ah, so it's not the domain name itself that's "blatantly obvious" as you initially stated but a combination of different hints on the website that point to it most likely being Ireland? If you'd just said that the first time I'd probably have agreed with you and it could've saved the poor reader from this incredibly tedious chat. 

Call me old fashioned, but if I wanted to find out the location of a business I'd prefer it if they just listed their address on their website rather than having to have a stab in the dark at where they're based using a combination of using my fucking intuition on domain names and international dialling codes.

Now that we've narrowed it down to which country they're in, is there any chance you could intuitively find out which town and street they're in as I'd like to check out their range of inverted portcullis' before I put my order in? 

Thank you.