Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

When studying children's cognitive development for my upcoming Psychology exams, there's an experiment in it called "naughty teddy". The idea is naughty teddy changes an aspect of the experiment to trick the child. I'm just picturing pedobear and it's making me giggle.

Have you done the Bobo Doll one yet? That's really quite disturbing.

That's the Albert Bandura experiment is it not? Aggressive behaviour in children being influenced by an adult figure? Higher Psychology was clearly not a waste 8)

bobo2.JPG

That's the one. The videos of it really freak me out!

It's quite uncomfortable viewing IMO. However there was an interesting programme on a couple of weeks ago that featured this in it, 'A Secret History of the Brain:Emotions' or something along those lines.

Have you done the Bobo Doll one yet? That's really quite disturbing.

Funnily enough one of my practicals this year was on this very subject, and used the Bandura experiment as the main focal point. But yeah you're right, not just this experiment but a couple of others highlight just how much children can be influenced by tv violence. But I disagree with people who say it makes children aggressive, as a lot of the violent behaviour is merely copied without any underlying feelings of anger attached to them. A lot of underlying factors such as home life come into it as well. So violent tv doesn't automatically make young kids violent but it certainly makes them more likely to copy it.

That's the Albert Bandura experiment is it not? Aggressive behaviour in children being influenced by an adult figure? Higher Psychology was clearly not a waste 8)

bobo2.JPG

Not just an adult figure but an adult figure on tv. There was an experiment by Milgram who found that grown adults blindly obey figures in authority. In this experiment it was a random sample of the public being told by a man in a white coat (scientist, ie authority figure) telling them to electrocute somebody on the other side of the wall by pressing the button. They weren't actually electrocuting them but they thought they were as they could still hear the "screams" that were performed by an actor. THAT is the real chilling one for me.

There was an experiment by Milgram who found that grown adults blindly obey figures in authority. In this experiment it was a random sample of the public being told by a man in a white coat (scientist, ie authority figure) telling them to electrocute somebody on the other side of the wall by pressing the button. They weren't actually electrocuting them but they thought they were as they could still hear the "screams" that were performed by an actor. THAT is the real chilling one for me.

Milgram's one is fascinating (I seem to remember Derren Brown or BBC's Horizon did a variation of it recently) but the following variation on Milgram's original - done by Sheridan and King (1972) - is possibly the most chilling example of conformity/obedience:

Charles Sheridan and Richard King hypothesized that some of Milgram's subjects may have suspected that the victim was faking, so they repeated the experiment with a real victim: a puppy who was given real electric shocks. They found that 20 out of the 26 participants complied to the end*. The six that had refused to comply were all male (54% of males were obedient); all 13 of the women obeyed to the end, although many were highly disturbed and some openly wept.

*Note that 'the end' means actually killing the puppy.

Zimbardo's Stanford Prison Test is also quite frightening really.

Edited by yoda

Milgram's one is fascinating (I seem to remember Derren Brown or BBC's Horizon did a variation of it recently) but the following variation on Milgram's original - done by Sheridan and King (1972) - is possibly the most chilling example of conformity/obedience:

*Note that 'the end' means actually killing the puppy.

At least it shows the women are doing what they're told.

I was reading this thread when I was in Admin at school and the girl said that Yoda was a perv because of his avatar.

I drop kicked her.

I imagine that highly unlikely.

Even though I've kindly been offered a ticket for the game tonight, I literally can't afford a pre match pint :ph34r:

I was reading this thread when I was in Admin at school and the girl said that Yoda was a perv because of his avatar.

I drop kicked her.

Did you tell her that the P&B ladies also helped him choose that one over the Elmo one?

The election advert for the Scottish Christian party might be the worse I've ever seen.they seem very angry for a bunch of forgiving souls.

Eta:they're having a right go at homosexuals (so to speak)

Edited by saint dave

The election advert for the Scottish Christian party might be the worse I've ever seen.they seem very angry for a bunch of forgiving souls.

Eta:they're having a right go at homosexuals (so to speak)

I have just seen this. It's hilarious.

I like how they are now playing the victim card after hundreds of years of persecution towards anyone who disagrees with them.

agreed, don't think they actually talked about any policies they'd bring in, instead just ranted about homosexuals