Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

The young adult we cared for has moved on to a place of his own. However, we still get letters addressed to him, (as we were his carers and my wife had power of attorney we open/opened his mail) and the latest one is in regards to his PIP/DLA. He is now getting £200.00 a month more than he got when he stayed with us, yet his condition/needs are no different from when he stayed with us. I'm wondering should he have been getting the higher rate all along. It's a bit annoying if he should have had the higher rate, he could have built up his savings etc. However, as is the norm with benefits you are never told what you are eligible for, you have to work it out for yourself.
His original claim was filled out by his (then) Social Worker and his latest by the Housing Association where he is now living, maybe they knew which boxes to tick.
might already have been coverd as im a few dates behind but did you recieve carers allowance for him when he lived with you? also is he know living completely independent? if so sounds like he is basically being paid a premium for being his own carer. cant remember what its called but it does exist

10 minutes ago, ah-dee said:
On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:14, Jacksgranda said:
The young adult we cared for has moved on to a place of his own. However, we still get letters addressed to him, (as we were his carers and my wife had power of attorney we open/opened his mail) and the latest one is in regards to his PIP/DLA. He is now getting £200.00 a month more than he got when he stayed with us, yet his condition/needs are no different from when he stayed with us. I'm wondering should he have been getting the higher rate all along. It's a bit annoying if he should have had the higher rate, he could have built up his savings etc. However, as is the norm with benefits you are never told what you are eligible for, you have to work it out for yourself.
His original claim was filled out by his (then) Social Worker and his latest by the Housing Association where he is now living, maybe they knew which boxes to tick.

might already have been coverd as im a few dates behind but did you recieve carers allowance for him when he lived with you? also is he know living completely independent? if so sounds like he is basically being paid a premium for being his own carer. cant remember what its called but it does exist

No, we got paid an allowance, not Carer's Allowance (I used to claim that when I wasn't working for caring for our daughter), he was placed with us, first as a foster child then as an adult in care. I don't know what the allowance was but it was a lot more than Carer's Allowance, my wife dealt with that end of things, i.e. she got the allowance!

He is not completely independent, he has a 1 to 1 for 14 hours a day, he has to pay a contribution towards that, as far as I can make out from the PIP and ESA correspondence we have seen he doesn't get anything towards that cost.

No, we got paid an allowance, not Carer's Allowance (I used to claim that when I wasn't working for caring for our daughter), he was placed with us, first as a foster child then as an adult in care. I don't know what the allowance was but it was a lot more than Carer's Allowance, my wife dealt with that end of things, i.e. she got the allowance!
He is not completely independent, he has a 1 to 1 for 14 hours a day, he has to pay a contribution towards that, as far as I can make out from the PIP and ESA correspondence we have seen he doesn't get anything towards that cost.
im not too sure then. i know if you live alone you might qualify for an additional rate of esa incase you have to pay for additional care like you have described. im no expert on it though but sounds like it might be what he is now getting

4 minutes ago, ah-dee said:
8 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

im not too sure then. i know if you live alone you might qualify for an additional rate of esa incase you have to pay for additional care like you have described. im no expert on it though but sounds like it might be what he is now getting

His ESA has "only" gone up £7.00 a week/fortnight (can't remember which), it's his PIP that has been increased quite dramatically. Anyway, it looks like he is fairly well covered for all his expenditure, he just won't have as much "pocket money" as he was used having, but certainly more than he would have had had his benefits not been increased.

Edited by Jacksgranda
additinal info

His ESA has "only" gone up £7.00 a week, it's his PIP that has been increased quite dramatically. Anyway, it looks like he is fairly well covered for all his expenditure, he just won't have as much "pocket money" as he was used having, but certainly more than he would have had had his benefits not been increased.
ah with you. not got a clue about PIP so ive been slavering to you then mate apologies!

merry Christmas anyway

1 minute ago, ah-dee said:

ah with you. not got a clue about PIP so ive been slavering to you then mate apologies!

merry Christmas anyway

And the same to you.

(PIP is the new DLA, as far as I know, our daughter got her new notification, same as before - maybe we should have got the Housing Association to fill out hers, too! - we're quite happy his benefits have been increased as we wouldn't like to think he was sitting down there with no spending money after he had paid gas, electric, taxis (to tech and Day centre in bad weather/outings), internet, groceries & co, contribution to 1 to 1 etc., just slightly puzzled as to why he didn't get the higher rate all along.)

And the same to you.
(PIP is the new DLA, as far as I know, our daughter got her new notification, same as before - maybe we should have got the Housing Association to fill out hers, too! - we're quite happy his benefits have been increased as we wouldn't like to think he was sitting down there with no spending money after he had paid gas, electric, taxis (to tech and Day centre in bad weather/outings), internet, groceries & co, contribution to 1 to 1 etc., just slightly puzzled as to why he didn't get the higher rate all along.)
the whole system is a minefield if you arent clued up on it, which is most folk. at least hes now recieving more. best place to go would be citizens advice bureau. theh will be able to check it and ensure its all at the correct levels and if hes due any back money. if you dont ask you dont get and all that!

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

His ESA has "only" gone up £7.00 a week/fortnight (can't remember which), it's his PIP that has been increased quite dramatically. Anyway, it looks like he is fairly well covered for all his expenditure, he just won't have as much "pocket money" as he was used having, but certainly more than he would have had had his benefits not been increased.

Could it be his PIP has gone from standard rate to enhanced? It's a decent increase between the two. 

I've just applied for PIP since my cancer diagnosis and looking likely that I'll get the enhanced amount. My mum quit her job to come and care for me so I'll be paying her with the PIP money. 

Could it be his PIP has gone from standard rate to enhanced? It's a decent increase between the two. 
I've just applied for PIP since my cancer diagnosis and looking likely that I'll get the enhanced amount. My mum quit her job to come and care for me so I'll be paying her with the PIP money. 
if your on the enhanced rate you will likely qualify for carers allowance. well she will. you would be in the select group of people that recieve it who genuinely need it. worth looking into

6 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

She should claim Carer's Allowance off her own bat instead of you paying her. CA isn't much, but it's better than you paying her, you've enough on your plate, and it's one of the simpler benefits to claim.

3 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

@Jacksgranda the social worker should be linking in with the local authority's welfare rights officer (or equivalent) to get you the answers you need. 

He's not our responsibility anymore.

Anyway, just in from stepdaughter nr 2's, where we had Christmas dinner. Absolutely delicious - turkey breast, ham, roast beef, roasties, mashed potatoes, home made stuffing, carrots, broccoli, gravy, brussel sprouts (I passed on the brussels). I paced myself and had two plates worth. Washed the dishes and had a wry smile to myself as stepdaughter and granddaughter had a minor altercation re drying the dishes - took me back 20+ years to when stepdaughter and mother had the same kind of conversation. Then I fell asleep on the sofa. Lovely day.

I’m 54 today, hopefully I’ll make 55 before the *** allegedly do[emoji106][emoji120]

Happy Birthday, ya old duffer. You’ll definitely make 55 before them, you could even pause your age for a few decades and still do it comfortably!

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Anyway, just in from stepdaughter nr 2's, where we had Christmas dinner. Absolutely delicious - turkey breast, ham, roast beef, roasties, mashed potatoes, home made stuffing, carrots, broccoli, gravy, brussel sprouts (I passed on the brussels). I paced myself and had two plates worth. Washed the dishes and had a wry smile to myself as stepdaughter and granddaughter had a minor altercation re drying the dishes - took me back 20+ years to when stepdaughter and mother had the same kind of conversation. Then I fell asleep on the sofa. Lovely day.

Dirty bugger.

20 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Just back from stepdaughter nr 4. Boxing Day dinner - turkey, ham, chipolata sausages, parsnips and carrots, roasties, mash, home made stuffing, gravy and sprouts (pass). Then ice cream. No dish washing duties today or sleeping on the couch. Played a game with one of the grandsons and watched Manchester United v Huddersfield Town. Another lovely day.