Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

Unsure, will probably depend on how well I do. Ideally something to do with history, maybe within the university itself.

You going to do a postgrad/PhD? It's something I'm still open to doing, but it's pretty early days yet and I'm far from decided whether or not I actually want to go down the solicitor router or go on to something else.

FWIW, and although I'm really in no knowledgable position to comment, you're the sort of person who would probably thrive on an academic based career.

You going to do a postgrad/PhD? It's something I'm still open to doing, but it's pretty early days yet and I'm far from decided whether or not I actually want to go down the solicitor router or go on to something else.

If you do a PhD, you will suffer. You will be completely and utterly depressed and will want to kill your family and yourself.

/xbl

My wife has just informed me, matter of factly, that she went to school with, and was friends with reknowned Scottish folk singer, Julie Fowlis. :o

The most famous person I went to school with was Kirsty Young. And she was in the year above. And I didn't actually know her at the time, but my cousin did.

I feel second best.

The Tory woman on Question Time has had an absolutely horrific performance tonight. I am struggling to comprehend how so many of the audience also think it is okay to chase down a burglar into the street and beat the f**k out of him.

Edited by Überschwänglichen

My wife has just informed me, matter of factly, that she went to school with, and was friends with reknowned Scottish folk singer, Julie Fowlis. :o

The most famous person I went to school with was Kirsty Young. And she was in the year above. And I didn't actually know her at the time, but my cousin did.

I feel second best.

I was 5 years above one of J K Rowling's daughters :lol:

The Tory woman on Question Time has had an absolutely horrific performance tonight. I am struggling to comprehend how so many of the audience also think it is okay to chase down a burglar into the street and beat the f**k out of him.

I'm in two minds about it myself. In fact, quite a large part of me thinks its okay. I'd chase them, and I'd beat f**k out of them...especially if they had stolen my stuff! Only a tiny part of me actually thinks you have to observe limits...

I'm in two minds about it myself. In fact, quite a large part of me thinks its okay. I'd chase them, and I'd beat f**k out of them...especially if they had stolen my stuff! Only a tiny part of me actually thinks you have to observe limits...

It is completely disproportionate and achieves absolutely nothing. It is still at the very least assault. Make what efforts you can to get them to leave your property, and if they attack you, by all means, fight back, but come on... chasing them down the street?

One point that Madley made that was actually quite an accurate one is that the Police don't act quickly enough to burglary calls. An instance where if the Police actually did their jobs, vigilantism would be reduced.

What you need, xbl, is a fucking portcullis.

I find Sarah Teather (on Question Time just now) mildly attractive. Is this wrong?

Nice chebs - but a face like a badly drawn and slightly surprised kid's easter egg!

I was 5 years above one of J K Rowling's daughters laugh.gif

It must have been relief when you got down then.....whistling.gif

Edited by Kilt

I think actually chasing someone down the street then beating them up is excessive because that goes beyond spur of the moment instinctive action. However, I think that in the home you should be able to take most courses of action that involved a single action. For example, smacking and intruder with a baseball bat is ok, but repeatedly hitting them while they were incapaciated on the ground isn't.

The closest weapon to my bed is an ice axe and I'd have absolutely no qualms about putting that through someone's skull if I went downstairs to find them trying to nick my TV. I could certainly live with myself and hope that I'd be let off relatively scot free.

I think actually chasing someone down the street then beating them up is excessive because that goes beyond spur of the moment instinctive action. However, I think that in the home you should be able to take most courses of action that involved a single action. For example, smacking and intruder with a baseball bat is ok, but repeatedly hitting them while they were incapaciated on the ground isn't.

The closest weapon to my bed is an ice axe and I'd have absolutely no qualms about putting that through someone's skull if I went downstairs to find them trying to nick my TV. I could certainly live with myself and hope that I'd be let off relatively scot free.

I agree with the "single action" point, but frankly, using an ice axe unless they are armed and make an attempt to attack you is a bit over the top!