Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

The thing is, the popular lagers over there are no better than Fosters.

My brother used to work with an Australian, who was constantly extolling the virtues of a beer called 'Carlton Cold'. He found a place that did it mail order, which pleased him no end, and got a six pack for my brother. I was given a bottle of it. It made Budweiser taste like the richest Vienna lager. I mean, this was the palest, riciest beer I drank before or since.

Of the big Australian lagers, Victoria Bitter seems to me the best. It's got a fair amount of flavour for an adjunct 4.6%. But yes, in general, as you say, the big Aussie lagers are just six and half a dozen.

The same's true of beers in a lot of country. I can taste the difference between Bud, Miller, and Coors over here, but not to the extent that I massively prize one ahead of the others. That's why all three are so big in the advertising game - brand loyalty in the lager world doesn't have a huge deal to do with the flavour.

I've only had a couple of non-lager Aussie beers, and I only really remember one of them. That is Cooper's Sparkling Ale, which is just fantastic, and I wish it was more widely available. An absolutely tremendous pale ale. Pour the whole bottle if you want to take your time over it, or leave the sediment off and it's the most refreshing thing ever.

I've found that if you really want to annoy an Australian male (and let's face it, you should) start talking about Foster's and make a comment to the effect that it must be really popular in Australia. They get really, really defensive about this for some reason, and point out that nobody drinks it there, and that's a load of bladdy pom rubbish. Just bring up Foster's repeatedly and they get really riled.

I can vouch for this, as I made that mistake when over visiting my girlfriends sister and B-i-L last year in Brisbane. I made some throwaway comment about not seeing Fosters on tap in any of the boozers and was treated to a very defensive 10 minute rant on why no-one drinks it. VB is pretty tasty, but I ended up drinking something called Tooheys White Stag or something. It was what they usually got for the house. What I will say about Aussie beer choices is that they do a big selection of low carb stuff, which we don't seem to get here.

For the most part it's toilet water though.

edit: The aussie mentioned above has arrived in Blighty with his missus for my wedding next weekend. I'll need to nip to Tesco and see if Fosters is on offer. :D

Edited by KnightswoodBear

Played 5s last night with guys that play for a few 3rd division teams. Safe to say, I was comfortably better than all of them. Not what you know and all that...

Played 5s last night with guys that play for a few 3rd division teams. Safe to say, I was comfortably better than all of them. Not what you know and all that...

I play with a few boys that play for Annan on a Thurs night. There's not much difference between any of us.

Its completely different to playing on a full pitch.

I played 5's yesterday and was fucking awful.