Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

I was in Tesco on Maryhill Road in Glasgow this evening. My friend, who is 18 went in to buy fags and I went with him. The lady asked us both for ID so he could buy them. She refused to sell him as I didn't have ID and I was with him.

A bit fucking silly, is it not?

I can see where they're coming from as she must of thought he was buying them on my behalf but it's still ridiculous that 2 people have to show ID just so one person can buy something.

It did turn out to be a blessing in disguise when the Costcutter right next door were doing the exact same fags for 60p cheaper. Get it up them.

I was in Tesco on Maryhill Road in Glasgow this evening. My friend, who is 18 went in to buy fags and I went with him. The lady asked us both for ID so he could buy them. She refused to sell him as I didn't have ID and I was with him.

A bit fucking silly, is it not?

I can see where they're coming from as she must of thought he was buying them on my behalf but it's still ridiculous that 2 people have to show ID just so one person can buy something.

The part in bold invalidates the part in italics.

If I was buying them on his behalf surely the woman behind the counter wouldn't think he'd be that stupid to come and stand right next to me whilst purchasing them :lol: Then again, it was Maryhill so...

If I was buying them on his behalf surely the woman behind the counter wouldn't think he'd be that stupid to come and stand right next to me whilst purchasing them :lol: Then again, it was Maryhill so...

It happens, people will usually go "what kind of fags do you want?" if they are stupid enough to give it away, but still, the person selling the fags still has to ask everyone who is with the person buying them for ID.

I don't know why Scott's getting so worked up about it tbh. :lol: As I said, they were cheaper in the shop right next door to it, so in a way I'm glad this 'unfortunate' incident happened in the end.

edit: @ Jimmy85, me and Scott discussed this on the way out. Many a time when I was underage I was out shopping with my Mum when she'd purchase alcohol for herself and sometimes me and nothing was ever said when I was in the queue right next to her then. I can understand the set up with asking everyone with the buyer for ID but the inconsistency of it is what gets to me.

Edited by C. Muir

I don't know why Scott's getting so worked up about it tbh. :lol: As I said, they were cheaper in the shop right next door to it, so in a way I'm glad this 'unfortunate' incident happened in the end.

:lol:

I just find it incredibly stupid. I'll make sure I stay in the car the next time my dad goes for alcohol/fags.

The lassie didn't look much older than you as well :lol:!

Is common sense usually exercised?

I was in Asda on Monday and there was a guy going through the checkout with his daughter, who looked about 5. He had some cans of Bud and the operator approved the sale.

Technically, she should have refused. But it was pretty obvious he wasn't going to pass the booze on to his daughter.

Mind you, this is Dundee...

Is common sense usually exercised?

I was in Asda on Monday and there was a guy going through the checkout with his daughter, who looked about 5. He had some cans of Bud and the operator approved the sale.

Technically, she should have refused. But it was pretty obvious he wasn't going to pass the booze on to his daughter.

Mind you, this is Dundee...

While I know why they are doing it, it's still pretty annoying.

Last year I was in Tesco with my wee brother (who was 16 at the time) and we were buying my mum's birthday present, which consisted of a card, a CD, a box of chocolates and a bottle of wine. Then when we got to the till, the guy wouldn't sell us the wine because my brother was underage. So we had to leave the shop, and then he went to the car, and I had to go back in, pick up another bottle of the same wine, go to a till down the other end of the shop, and buy it.

Edited by craigkillie

So what's the deal if a parent has their 16 year old child with them?

My pal was in Tesco with her 15 year old daughter just a couple of weeks ago and was refused a bottle of wine, just on the off chance that it was for the girl. She was told by the manager "It would be the same if I came in here with my son". My pal replied "Bullshit, it would be. Anyway, what kind of 15 year old drinks wine?".

I go to Corfu in 4 weeks time to work as a Club1830 rep for the full summer 8)

I notice that RyanAir start flying to Corfu from Stansted in May. Creating 150 Corfu jobs and lots of cheap flights. You could find a sudden explosion in Danny Dyer and Chantelle Houghton types...

Fancy switching islands? You could come here and fish farm, I'll go there and be the point of contact for pissed up scantily clad girls!

I notice that RyanAir start flying to Corfu from Stansted in May. Creating 150 Corfu jobs and lots of cheap flights. You could find a sudden explosion in Danny Dyer and Chantelle Houghton types...

Fancy switching islands? You could come here and fish farm, I'll go there and be the point of contact for pissed up scantily clad girls!

Knowing RyanAir, their flights to Corfu will probably land nearer to you anyway.