Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

I before E exept after C! :P

That's weird. I feel it in my veins that I must feign ignorance of this rule. Neither "neighbour" nor "science" deign to obey. I'll add my height and weight to the argument against it and drive a freight train through it. Foreign societies may have such a rule though.

I could go on in this vein if my conscience would let me.

Guest The Phoenix

That's weird. I feel it in my veins that I must feign ignorance of this rule. Neither "neighbour" nor "science" deign to obey. I'll add my height and weight to the argument against it and drive a freight train through it. Foreign societies may have such a rule though.

I currently have a mental picture of Lichtieforlife's head exploding into a million pieces. :lol:

The rule only applies to words where the sound is an "E"

I see. Well I never thought of it that way.

That's weird. I feel I should seize the opportunity to correct you or forfeit the argument.

I didn't say there weren't exceptions. ;)

At school we were told that the general rule did not apply to words which didn't feature the "E" sound.

I hope "forfeit" wasn't intended as part of your smart-erse reply, because that's obviously pronounced "forfit"

I didn't say there weren't exceptions. ;)

At school we were told that the general rule did not apply to words which didn't feature the "E" sound.

I hope "forfeit" wasn't intended as part of your smart-erse reply, because that's obviously pronounced "forfit"

I'm sorry. I was just having fun.

By the way, round here, forfeit is pronounced with the ee sound, wrong as it may be according to those who make the rules.

I have only once heard someone pronounce "forfeit" as "forfeet" rather than "forfit". It sounded bizarre at the time and I refuse to recognise it as a legitimate pronunciation.

8)