Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

Hammocks led to the expression "Shake a leg". In the old sailing days, when a sailor took a young lady back to his ship, in the morning the bosun would walk round and yell "shake a leg" so that any hairless, shapely limb sticking over the hammock's side could be tugged by the ankle as a warning to the girl to get up, dressed and off the ship before it sailed.

If only a chubby, hairy leg popped over the side of the hammock, one could assume that the occupant hadn't struck lucky that evening.

I'm full of this sort of factual but irrelevant stuff!rolleyes.gif

Barr's have removed the "American" from the title of their Cream Soda. This probably happened about 1997 but I have only just noticed.

Any time I've bought it recently it just says "American" in really tiny vertical lettering beside the "C" of cream soda. I may not have noticed such a change if it happened within the past fortnight, haven't bought it for a while.

A few years back, I placed myself in the moderate camp with regard to Scottish Independence. I mean, sure I believed in it, but it was never that big a deal. For example, I cared far more about the Palestinian movement and about environmentalism than I did about independence. Hell, I used to vote Lib Dem! But somehow, over the last few years, I have gradually become very, very pro independence. I really only just noticed it today.

When and how did this happen? When did I become this radical? I tried to play some online tennis, and the big thing about Grand Slam tennis is that you get to "represent your country and earn points online". I now refuse to play online because I don't want to be associated with earning points for Britain. I recognise how absurd it is, and yet, I still do it.

Am I the only one that has experienced this in the last couple of years? Has anyone else become more Scottish and less British of late?

That is fucking ridiculous. I'm proud to be Scottish too, but it's a game for f**k sake! :lol:

A few years back, I placed myself in the moderate camp with regard to Scottish Independence. I mean, sure I believed in it, but it was never that big a deal. For example, I cared far more about the Palestinian movement and about environmentalism than I did about independence. Hell, I used to vote Lib Dem! But somehow, over the last few years, I have gradually become very, very pro independence. I really only just noticed it today.

When and how did this happen? When did I become this radical? I tried to play some online tennis, and the big thing about Grand Slam tennis is that you get to "represent your country and earn points online". I now refuse to play online because I don't want to be associated with earning points for Britain. I recognise how absurd it is, and yet, I still do it.

Am I the only one that has experienced this in the last couple of years? Has anyone else become more Scottish and less British of late?

Opposite for me and most other people also.

Everyone was pro-independance when they watched 'braveheart' as a 12 year old.

I seem to remember much more support for nationalisim about 5-10 years ago however I cant say I now know of anyone in my day-to-day life who is in favour of independance.

Opposite for me and most other people also.

Everyone was pro-independance when they watched 'braveheart' as a 12 year old.

I seem to remember much more support for nationalisim about 5-10 years ago however I cant say I now know of anyone in my day-to-day life who is in favour of independance.

I think it's just the circles you move in, generally they'll be reactionary and unionist.

I prepared for the wrong exam on Tuesday like a twonk. It was History of Scotland and I brushed up my Politics of Modern Scotland notes. :1eye

Luckily, I had read the History core text cover to cover the week previous, and could string off 11 pages for two essays on the divine right in relation to Jacobitism, and whether the Treaty of Union acheived its intended aims. It also means I'm quite well prepared for my final exam tomorrow.

Edited by vikingTON

I prepared for the wrong exam on Tuesday like a twonk. It was History of Scotland and I brushed up my Politics of Modern Scotland notes. :1eye

Luckily, I had read the History core text cover to cover the week previous, and could string off 11 pages for two essays on the divine right in relation to Jacobitism, and whether the Treaty of Union acheived its intented aims. It also means I'm quite well prepared for my final exam tomorrow.

What are you aiming for after university vT?

I prepared for the wrong exam on Tuesday like a twonk. It was History of Scotland and I brushed up my Politics of Modern Scotland notes. 1eye.gif

Luckily, I had read the History core text cover to cover the week previous, and could string off 11 pages for two essays on the divine right in relation to Jacobitism, and whether the Treaty of Union acheived its intented aims. It also means I'm quite well prepared for my final exam tomorrow.

I am dismayed that one of the Professor's students could make such an elementary mistake. Good luck anyway.