Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Was my man's funeral this morning.

I'm absolutely knackered. Didn't get much sleep last night but that was mainly due to the shite pillows my older brother and his wife provided! Well they weren't actually shite, just not ones I like/use.

Was worried how the funeral was but was over really quickly. Did a wee reading of something I wrote and was glad I was able to do it. When we were walking behind her coffin going in to the crematorium I had the thought that I was looking at a stark dose of reality. Was all a bit surreal this morning getting in the fancy big car to ride behind the hearse and walking past everyone to the front row when we got to the crematorium. Thought the old curtain close was going to be rough but I was ok. The photo montage to music got a few folk but mostly there were chuckles, as we'd picked some amusing ones to go with the nice ones. Having a wee laugh at some of the silly ones helped.

Thankfully the funeral went well (you know what I mean) and was really nice to see loads of family. Insert the usual cliche about funerals and weddings.

Glad I decided not to drink today. Plenty of beers and other stuff was had after. No judging those who did, but I can get emotional when drinking if I'm not careful/have heightened emotions.

Pleased that it's all done with now (the funeral I mean; we're getting a headstone and burying her ashes in the cemetery in the village she lived in/my dad lives in, but that won't be for a bit yet).

A little worried that things might suddenly 'catch up with me' at some point over the next few days/week, but I think I'm going to be ok.

From (bitter) experience, the funeral is the turning point. Condolences and best wishes. 

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

A little worried that things might suddenly 'catch up with me' at some point over the next few days/week, but I think I'm going to be ok.

I can assure you, from experience, that it will be little things for a while that remind, bemuse, confuse and cause emotion. There’s really no telling, and it’s much better to be ready to just roll with it than worried about it. Condolences on your loss.

20 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Been invited to speak at a conference in November in Amsterdam.

Just need to figure out how to convince the wife that this is indeed work and not some degraded drink/drugs/red light binge.

Given her propensity to f**k off for days away she's in no position to question your motives.  

21 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Been invited to speak at a conference in November in Amsterdam.

Just need to figure out how to convince the wife that this is indeed work and not some degraded drink/drugs/red light binge.

Tell her it's in Amersham...

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

Today was my final session of radiotherapy on my leg. Only downside is that in the last week a couple of blisters have appeared (this wasn't unexpected and no cause for alarm) so they will need the dressing changed daily, for the next week or two. But at least to begin with this will be done at my doctor's surgery which is within walking distance; no need to get up at the crack of dawn (lovely girl) and get the bus out to the hospital.

For some reason immediately imagined you sitting in a recliner, with headphones on your leg, and the radio tuned to BBC2. Anyway, great news on the completion of therapy and hope it all clears up nicely.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

For some reason immediately imagined you sitting in a recliner, with headphones on your leg, and the radio tuned to BBC2. Anyway, great news on the completion of therapy and hope it all clears up nicely.

Lying on a table with my right foot and ankle encased in a mesh thing to keep my leg motionless. Music was playing but not the radio.

Edit: Actually I've just realised what you were getting at. Another side effect of the treatment is that it makes me sleepy; that's my excuse.

Edited by GordonD

On 21/02/2023 at 20:47, DA Baracus said:

Was my mum's funeral this morning.

I'm absolutely knackered. Didn't get much sleep last night but that was mainly due to the shite pillows my older brother and his wife provided! Well they weren't actually shite, just not ones I like/use.

Was worried how the funeral was but was over really quickly. Did a wee reading of something I wrote and was glad I was able to do it. When we were walking behind her coffin going in to the crematorium I had the thought that I was looking at a stark dose of reality. Was all a bit surreal this morning getting in the fancy big car to ride behind the hearse and walking past everyone to the front row when we got to the crematorium. Thought the old curtain close was going to be rough but I was ok. The photo montage to music got a few folk but mostly there were chuckles, as we'd picked some amusing ones to go with the nice ones. Having a wee laugh at some of the silly ones helped.

Thankfully the funeral went well (you know what I mean) and was really nice to see loads of family. Insert the usual cliche about funerals and weddings.

Glad I decided not to drink today. Plenty of beers and other stuff was had after. No judging those who did, but I can get emotional when drinking if I'm not careful/have heightened emotions.

Pleased that it's all done with now (the funeral I mean; we're getting a headstone and burying her ashes in the cemetery in the village she lived in/my dad lives in, but that won't be for a bit yet).

Really sorry to hear that DA, you seem to have taken it amazingly well, don't be hard on yourself if you find something brings on allot of emotion. Been enjoying listening to you on the podcast 👍

2 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

I sent my shite to Dundee last week, got an "all is good" letter today and an invitation to send more in two years.

A grand system. 

Been asked for a sample on a regular occurrence. Never done it. Just can’t bring myself to put it in an envelope and post it. I know, I know, it’s in my own interest to do it, there’s just something stopping me. Sending your shite in the post? I know I should. Maybe it’s just the idea of sending shite via the Royal Mail. Maybe it’s just a bit too personal for my generation. I’ll think about it and maybe do it next time.