Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

6 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

To paraphrase the Scottish-Jewish poet, The Rabbi Burns, my hame is in the highlands. Pine trees rather than open plains.

However, while Colorado is famous for its mountains, large parts of the state are very much like this in terms of topography. Something else not well known is just how desperately poor the bulk of rural America is. Leave the major cities and highways, and you'll find towns just like this, or not much bigger all over the place. Depressingly, the majority of people living in these areas firmly believe that Trump is the country's last defence against the descent into Communism.

Fun fact: The architectural style of the white(ish) house shown at the beginning of the clip is known as a "Shotgun Shack", which is where I thought @Miguel Sanchez was going by tagging me. The name comes from the fact that should you desire, you could fire a shotgun from the front door out the back door without any pesky walls getting in the way. I have no doubt there are people who have tried this.

Judging by the cracks in the walls someone may well have done.

2 hours ago, Shotgun said:

To paraphrase the Scottish-Jewish poet, The Rabbi Burns, my hame is in the highlands. Pine trees rather than open plains.

However, while Colorado is famous for its mountains, large parts of the state are very much like this in terms of topography. Something else not well known is just how desperately poor the bulk of rural America is. Leave the major cities and highways, and you'll find towns just like this, or not much bigger all over the place. Depressingly, the majority of people living in these areas firmly believe that Trump is the country's last defence against the descent into Communism.

Fun fact: The architectural style of the white(ish) house shown at the beginning of the clip is known as a "Shotgun Shack", which is where I thought @Miguel Sanchez was going by tagging me. The name comes from the fact that should you desire, you could fire a shotgun from the front door out the back door without any pesky walls getting in the way. I have no doubt there are people who have tried this.

The shotgun house was most popular in the South, especially the New Orleans area, due to its excellent ventilation with the doors and/or windows at each end open. The classic definition is a house one room wide from front to back.

43 minutes ago, TxRover said:

The shotgun house was most popular in the South, especially the New Orleans area, due to its excellent ventilation with the doors and/or windows at each end open. The classic definition is a house one room wide from front to back.

Elvis birthplace.jpg

18 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Daughter had some cough medicine earlier. It smelled nice so I got her to pour me a mug. Turns out there’s a reason it was so moreish..

image.thumb.png.80a8e0892b9fce5409464483c2212901.png

Get some sprite and jolly ranchers mixed in.

9 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I don't like large hotel bedrooms, the type with a ridiculous amount of floor space that's pointless unless you're planning on putting up a Christmas tree that needs space to circumnavigate.

I don't have a problem with large rooms such as assembly halls or Seville Cathedral per se, but whenever I end up in some stately home (touristy stuff, I'm not a friend of royalty) or even an old West End residential block I just constantly think that living in a house with big rooms with high ceilings (nothing to do with the cost of heating them), especially massive bathrooms, would make me rather uncomfortable.  

Anyone else the same?

Have any P&Bers downsized from a palace to a more standard house / flat valued at <£400k?

So many things going on here but I’ll try and keep up. 

Having to stay away for work or going out on an out-of-town bender, agreed, all you need is a bed and a shower.

However; I (we) absolutely love a massive hotel room. Going for a wee break with someone special, there is nothing better than a 7ft wide bed, proper cotton sheets, massive bay windows and a marble clad bathroom the size of your home living room. (Hotel du Vin I’m looking at you!) 

We’ve paid the nightly rate, they can heat it, deal with the linen, room service, the clean up (oo-er) and all the rest of it.

I (we) love a massive hotel room. 

Downsizing from £400k? Not even made it halfway towards that hill yet, not sure if I’d even want to go there! 

15 hours ago, Bodie said:

Definitely need one of those military grade SUVs for school drop off/pick up because my kids are no longer safe due to all the parents driving these military grade SUVs!

13 hours ago, TxRover said:

Not per se, but am currently esconsed in a low ceilinging abode that made me feel squeezed for about a day before it became normal. Floor space is nice when you have it, but living without it isn't that difficult until you try to shove 10 pounds of stuff into a 5 pound sack.

image.jpeg.54ff832662692046c990ed72060c0524.jpeg

17 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I don't like large hotel bedrooms, the type with a ridiculous amount of floor space that's pointless unless you're planning on putting up a Christmas tree that needs space to circumnavigate.

I don't have a problem with large rooms such as assembly halls or Seville Cathedral per se, but whenever I end up in some stately home (touristy stuff, I'm not a friend of royalty) or even an old West End residential block I just constantly think that living in a house with big rooms with high ceilings (nothing to do with the cost of heating them), especially massive bathrooms, would make me rather uncomfortable.  

Anyone else the same?

Have any P&Bers downsized from a palace to a more standard house / flat valued at <£400k?

When I was living in the UK we were swayed by big rooms etc etc but then moved  to Hong Kong where it wasn't an option so had no choice but to downsize everything and really got used to it and appreciated not having to maintain and clean a bigger hoose.  Moved to the Philippines where property is much cheaper and therefore much bigger.  We (3 of us) pretty much live exclusively downstairs - the wife ventures upstairs once a week to sweep the floors and that's about it. To be fair, the rooms aren't huge, there are just a fair number of them.

All in all, I can't say one is better than the other - you can adapt to wee spaces and appreciate the convenience but at the same time It's great to not be falling over stuff or have stuff falling out of over-full cupboards etc.  (that said, the wife still manages to achieve this somehow)!  I'd love to live in one of the micro flats which are popular for singles/couples in Hong Kong.

14 hours ago, alta-pete said:

So many things going on here but I’ll try and keep up. 

Having to stay away for work or going out on an out-of-town bender, agreed, all you need is a bed and a shower.

However; I (we) absolutely love a massive hotel room. Going for a wee break with someone special, there is nothing better than a 7ft wide bed, proper cotton sheets, massive bay windows and a marble clad bathroom the size of your home living room. (Hotel du Vin I’m looking at you!) 

We’ve paid the nightly rate, they can heat it, deal with the linen, room service, the clean up (oo-er) and all the rest of it.

I (we) love a massive hotel room. 

Downsizing from £400k? Not even made it halfway towards that hill yet, not sure if I’d even want to go there! 

I take it you're not married. Or maybe you are...

1 hour ago, bennett said:

Phone the police,  phone the police....

Sorry need to film this for social media likes.

Watched it a few times to understand what has happened here and still struggling - did the couple come out of the silver car before it was rammed (woman very cripple) and why were the two cars so desperate to get past the silver car or was damaging that car all part of their scheme?

Someone call the police....aye but not her partner as he is too busy filming everything.

58 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I take it you're not married. Or maybe you are...

Mrs a-p MkII is very definitely someone special. But without going all Theophilus P Wildebeeste on you, in the period between Mrs a-p MkI and the new and improved MkII there did happen to be a couple of special someones along the way. In my experience, everyone tends to get a wee bit more excitable if the accommodation is a couple of notches up from a Premier Inn.

Edited by alta-pete

30 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Mrs a-p MkII is very definitely someone special. But without going all Theophilus P Wildebeeste on you, in the period between Mrs a-p MkI and the new and improved MkII there did happen to be a couple of special someones along the way. In my experience, everyone tends to get a wee bit more excitable if the accommodation is a couple of notches up from a Premier Inn.

https://maisondedebauch.com/

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

I find it the other way. The worse the accommodation, the better the excitement.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

I find it the other way. The worse the accommodation, the better the excitement.

Are we still talking hotels here?

My 13 year old grandaughter told me I was looking "younger". I don't know what she's angling for, but she hasn't got it. As far as I know.