Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

Had never heard of a boozician before but now I do thanks to a quiz question in one of today’s papers. 

Boozician was early 20th century Australian slang for what?
ANSWERED

A drunkard

boozician n.

also boozican

[booze n. (1) + sfx -ician, on pattern of SE physician, mortician; plus play on SE can, i.e of beer ]

(Aus./US) a heavy drinker; a drunkard.

1881Newcastle Morn. Herald (NSW) 18 Aug. 3/1: The blind man who reads the bible aloud in George-street, Sydney [...] had neglected the good advice of his book, and gone off on the ‘booze’; book, bench and blind boozican were hauled out of the gutter by two bobbies.

1895Truth (Sydney) 24 Feb. 3/4: A bold, bad man, a boozican, a man of rum and sin.

1904Punch (Melbourne) 15 Sept. 14: He so completely depicts the manner of a low, despicable boozican, a walking beer barrel, one that will die in the gutter.

1911Punch (Melbourne) 23 Feb. 2/1: He was resolved to put drunkenness down, and choked up the gaol with the poor boozicans.

1923Advertiser (Adelaide) 6 Apr. 11/2: A man was filling a pint of beer; the reverberation was very heavy: the boozican dropped the pot. crying out, ‘Oh, hell! Here's those Russians again!’.

1943Baker Popular Dict. Aus. Sl. (2nd edn).

1985A. Robinson Dick and Jane 65: I spotted the boozician fandangoing his way into the middle of Sixth to hail a cab.

2003Village Voice (N.Y.) 9–15 July 🌐 Auteur, deadpan provocateur, renowned boozician, last of the red-hot existential modernists

My youngest came into our room at 2 am complaining of feeling sick. 

Apparently I told her to go back to bed and back to sleep. I have no memory of this, but the wife woke me up to complain. I checked on the wee one and she confirmed it. I was a bit harsh. Must have been asleep. 

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

My youngest came into our room at 2 am complaining of feeling sick. 

Apparently I told her to go back to bed and back to sleep. I have no memory of this, but the wife woke me up to complain. I checked on the wee one and she confirmed it. I was a bit harsh. Must have been asleep. 

Just blame it on those comfy new sheets your wife  bought recently.  

Some right wing anti-woke nutters getting angry at Pink Floyd. 50 years since Dark Side of the Moon came out and they dared to put a rainbow on the profile picture.

Fm8_YG1WYAMdFHn.jpeg

FFS .. the original album cover was a prism. 

Edited by scottsdad
Baws - saw this on the Twitter thread

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Some right wing anti-woke nutters getting angry at Pink Floyd. 50 years since Dark Side of the Moon came out and they dared to put a rainbow on the profile picture.

Fm8_YG1WYAMdFHn.jpeg

Fucking idiots probably never even listened to Pink Floyd. Just trolling.

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Fm8_YG1WYAMdFHn.jpeg

Putting the pink into Pink Floyd. It's political correctness gone mad. 

floyd.jpg.cf21c4f8ab66cf57191534f99526751b.jpg

I think the original cover was inspired by Newton's spectrum experiment where through using a prism he demonstrated that visible light was made up of a spectrum of colours. 

That's only been around for 350 years. 

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Fm8_YG1WYAMdFHn.jpeg

Still, it's nice that Denouement is keeping himself busy.

I had to go to the toilet at midnight, and felt quite ill. The last time I felt so bad I ended up in hospital, although at least this time I was conscious. Ended up sitting on the rim of the bath for 10 minutes before I felt capable of going back to bed.

Woke up this morning as bright as a button, or what passes as bright as a button for me.

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Putting the pink into Pink Floyd. It's political correctness gone mad. 

floyd.jpg.cf21c4f8ab66cf57191534f99526751b.jpg

I think the original cover was inspired by Newton's spectrum experiment where through using a prism he demonstrated that visible light was made up of a spectrum of colours. 

That's only been around for 350 years. 

Last year Aubrey Powell who worked with Storm Thorgerson at Hipgnosis designing the cover said they got the image idea from the prism  in the "How to Make a Rainbow" section of the 1963 book The How & Why Book of Light and Colour.

When Hipgnosis suggested the idea of posters and stickers related to the prism/triangle for the album package, Thorgerson convinced them it would be a good idea to fly them out to the pyramids for a photo shoot so top guy for scooping a free holiday into the shoot.

53 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I had to go to the toilet at midnight, and felt quite ill. The last time I felt so bad I ended up in hospital, although at least this time I was conscious. Ended up sitting on the rim of the bath for 10 minutes before I felt capable of going back to bed.

Woke up this morning as bright as a button, or what passes as bright as a button for me.

Did @scottsdad fail to give you any sympathy as well?