Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

I can’t remember which thread contained the chat about Jack Monroe but there’s an interview with her in the Guardian that’s worth reading.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jan/07/jack-monroe-interview

She does not sound like someone who is well placed to deal with being flung money for book/writing deals and via Patreon. It reminds me a bit of the Natalie McGarry case, surely someone around should have said that this person needs a bit of help and isn’t in a position to manage. 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I can’t remember which thread contained the chat about Jack Monroe but there’s an interview with her in the Guardian that’s worth reading.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jan/07/jack-monroe-interview

She does not sound like someone who is well placed to deal with being flung money for book/writing deals and via Patreon. It reminds me a bit of the Natalie McGarry case, surely someone around should have said that this person needs a bit of help and isn’t in a position to manage. 

Agents and promoters should have a lot more involvement than cashing a cheque, it's a sad story thankfully not with a terrible ending often seen.

Kanye West is the probably best example of someone spiralling out of control and Avicii was basically worked to death by his label 

2 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Just won so many brownie points with the wife - booked tickets to see Carmen at the London Coliseum on Valentine's Day, 2 nights at a posh hotel nearby. Think that'll cover me for the year. 

Bad news. Due to a dyslexic printer you're seeing CALMAN instead. 

Susan Calman.... 😱

Just won so many brownie points with the wife - booked tickets to see Carmen at the London Coliseum on Valentine's Day, 2 nights at a posh hotel nearby. Think that'll cover me for the year. 

My old Ma swore by their rollers.

That's a great w/e break.  Love going to the ENO.

BUT you're being outrageously optimistic with the brownie points.  They have a very short shelf life.  Last you for the year?  I'll give it until Easter at a stretch.

6 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

The overture is now my earworm for the night, which is nice.

7 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I can't afford a tin opener but I can run a tumble dryer on a regular basis

Amongst various other things she advocates - straining rice or pasta through cotton wool. Substituting a sanded down tuna tin for an egg ring (hopefully not losing any fingers in the process), and using a hammer and sharp knife to open a tin.

All of this along with stating in a book allegedly aimed at helping those in need, that she herself hopes to make enough money from it to buy her 'forever home'. Which absolute fucking moron at the publishing company read this shite and approved it to go to press?