Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

I genuinely never knew that we were world leaders in giving noms de guerre to snow ploughs and gritting trucks. Even the Yanks are copying us...........

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2022/dec/08/weatherwatch-popularity-of-naming-gritters-snowballs

"In Scotland, there is a tradition of giving gritting lorries names suggested by the public. Some of these are proudly Scottish: Chilly Connolly, Robert Brrrns and Lew-ice Capaldi. Others go further afield for wordplay, giving us Gritney Spears, Lord Coldemort, For Your Ice Only and Grit Expectations."

Mrs Ranter watching one of the many "Real Housewives of" shows last night, and despite trying to zone it out, I caught this nugget

"We fall out, we fight, we make friends again, it's what friends do"

I was thinking - I honestly can't remember the last time I fought or fell out with one of my mates - certainly not since growing out of being daft teenagers.

So is it a difference between birds/blokes thing?  Or is it, as I suspect, more to do with the self absorbed types who get themselves onto these shows?

7 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Mrs Ranter watching one of the many "Real Housewives of" shows last night, and despite trying to zone it out, I caught this nugget

"We fall out, we fight, we make friends again, it's what friends do"

I was thinking - I honestly can't remember the last time I fought or fell out with one of my mates - certainly not since growing out of being daft teenagers.

So is it a difference between birds/blokes thing?  Or is it, as I suspect, more to do with the self absorbed types who get themselves onto these shows?

I await your reality show with baited breath. I expect Netflix will be in touch soon.

The Real Pals of Dumbarton.

19 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

FTFY, but it's ok, you'll still get your royalties when the show goes global.

Reality family show, of N.Lanarksire would 2 parents trying to teach their 17 yo to tie laces as he/she needs to look good for community service. With Dad (or the sad c**t that was gifted by being there) staggering about in the background with a half bottle.

Too then, too all  to realise it was slip on shoes all along.

1 hour, C5 fantasia  

3 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Reality family show, of N.Lanarksire would 2 parents trying to teach their 17 yo to tie laces as he/she needs to look good for community service. With Dad (or the sad c**t that was gifted by being there) staggering about in the background with a half bottle.

7 minutes ago, Venti said:

Life really is shite.

Just found out my Uncle has dementia.

Nicest guy you'll ever meet. Now has this fucking thing.

That's a horrible disease,  sorry.

I'd love to see a cure for it to end the heartache it causes. 

15 minutes ago, Venti said:

Life really is shite.

Very sorry to hear this.

I have a relative who is in her 60s and has been diagnosed also. Devastating.

2 minutes ago, bennett said:

That's a horrible disease,  sorry.

I'd love to see a cure for it to end the heartache it causes. 

Heart pure sank when I found out. They stay in Paisley, so not too out of the way.

Not entirely sure what I can do.

I’m sorry to hear that, it’s a fucking horrible disease and, sadly, there’s no getting away from that.

Make the most of the time you’ve got and just go with the flow. Whatever makes them happy just go with it, even it’s a story/situation you’ve gone over a 1000 times before.

11 minutes ago, Venti said:

Heart pure sank when I found out. They stay in Paisley, so not too out of the way.

Not entirely sure what I can do.

Support is about it, assuming he doesn’t live alone. Whomever lives with him/cares for him will need assistance dealing with this until it is necessary for him to move to a facility that will protect against walk aways. Make it a habit of scanning the fridge and pantry for expired or “off” items when you visit. Help whomever look over the residence with a eye toward child safety, as it really isn’t that different from dealing with dementia. If possible, get a remote on/off switch for things like the cooktop, and a gas cooktop can be a huge risk with this terrible disease.

32 minutes ago, Venti said:

Life really is shite.

It's horrific. I watched my papa live with it for nearly 20 years to the point he became almost completely non-verbal in the last two years of his life. Guy worked all his days, retired at 65, took a massive stroke 4 months later (that in all honesty should have killed him and would have been better off if it had) and that set everything in motion.

Talk to him about times gone by. Old games of football, things you've done etc. He'll retain all of that for the longest time - there's little point in trying to discuss current telly or goings on as it will stick less and less as time goes by and unfortunately you'll find yourself at first laughing off that you just said something they asked you and then getting frustrated at it as you literally cannot understand how that information can go in seconds.

As time goes on, if you talk about stuff you know he'll recall, it will honestly be a wee bit easier. On days I'd go see him and he was quiet, I used to start him off with talking old St. Mirren players/games and then tell him I'd been away to Berlin or Inverness lately (as I knew he was posted in both places when he was a boy) and his recall was right on the money. Ask him what he'd had to eat though, he'd tell you he hadn't been fed yet.

You'll get through it bud. It is shite and it's definitely not fair but those are the garbage hands we're dealt sometimes.

1 minute ago, Venti said:

Appreciate the reply you guys.

I'll remind him of the 5-1 renfrewshire derby.

Think my Aunt might be overwhelmed, since she's poorly herself.

Guess I just need to step up.

Telling you - try and say something nice to a fuckin' Morton fan, eh?:lol:

2 minutes ago, Venti said:

Appreciate the reply you guys.

I'll remind him of the 5-1 renfrewshire derby.

Think my Aunt might be overwhelmed, since she's poorly herself.

Guess I just need to step up.

My relatives go o a dementia support group in Clackmannanshire. They say it really does help, sharing what they are going through plus some hints and tops on how to cope.

In addition to the above, music and visual prompts (photos etc) can be useful therapy. I do football reminiscence groups in care settings. 

Remember dementia progresses very slowly so hopefully with it being diagnosed early will mean support and medication can be put in place.