Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

9 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

In a few weeks and at the grand old age of 43,  I'm about to take the plunge and start working for myself for the first time.

My overriding feeling about the whole journey so far as I again sit immersed in endless walls of text on the .gov website, is that HMRC needs burned to the ground and started over from scratch. They couldn't possibly make starting a small company any less appealing. Hopefully when I'm up and running, once I've fulfilled all my administrative obligations I'll have a few hours left at the end of each week to try and earn some money.

I have been my own boss for 21 years.  Easily the best job I ever had.

17 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

What're the holidays like?

Excellent.  I have some really nice customers.  I tell them when I am going on holidays.  Even though they can still contact me they try not to.

On one occasion, a customer sent an email with an urgent problem.  I said I would look at it but I was on my way to Cape Town.  He replied that his problem was suddenly less urgent, he was originally from Cape Town and did I need any travel advice.

A very nice South African.

10 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

In a few weeks and at the grand old age of 43,  I'm about to take the plunge and start working for myself for the first time.

My overriding feeling about the whole journey so far as I again sit immersed in endless walls of text on the .gov website, is that HMRC needs burned to the ground and started over from scratch. They couldn't possibly make starting a small company any less appealing. Hopefully when I'm up and running, once I've fulfilled all my administrative obligations I'll have a few hours left at the end of each week to try and earn some money.

As I say to everyone else, both the best and worst decision you’ll ever make all rolled into the one. Welcome to the real world!

Concentrate on doing the work and billing it, then stick about a third of the money aside into a deposit account and you’ll be absolutely fine. 

11 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Good luck. If I can do it anyone can. Worked for myself for about 18 years now in one capacity or another. 

Aye, I just started up on my own, more or less because I didn't get a rise at work, no clients, no strategy, nothing.

Seemed like a good idea at the time...

18 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Aye, I just started up on my own, more or less because I didn't get a rise at work, no clients, no strategy, nothing.

Seemed like a good idea at the time...

There’s always opportunity with threat too. Might mean tweaking your business model. Just need to find the right market and business model for your wares.

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

There’s always opportunity with threat too. Might mean tweaking your business model. Just need to find the right market and business model for your wares.

I'm retired now.

A bit of research about your chosen field of employment never goes amiss!

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I have worked with a few white South African's over the years, every single one of them have been disgustingly racist.

You just don't understand the Seth Efriken bleks, your British bleks are a deefrint race and more civilised.

You just don't understand the Seth Efriken bleks, your British bleks are a deefrint race and more civilised.
See the South African attitude you have referenced there, it is depressingly common among English folk I know who are insistent we are only less racist up here because we don't "have as many of them yet"

18 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Wait until you say this every 7-14 days!

I get so frustrated with myself, I feel myself getting physically slower every couple of weeks and know I'm not as sharp, I also take longer to recover from knocks etc. I know it's all age related and there's very little I can do about it. I had to give up amateurs when I was about 30 because my knee was goosed. 

My kids laugh at me as they suggest it's time for the walking football, I probably will at some point but not until I am at least in my 50's!

Does any of our older generation on here play walking football? Surely there must be some kind of urge to make a sprint for the ball if it is 5ft in front of you?

It's my inner hip area that is utterly fcked today. Tried a few mobile stretch exercises to loosen up but it's not helping. 

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

I have worked with a few white South African's over the years, every single one of them have been disgustingly racist.

I know a few South Africans and when the conversation turns to “the problems back home” I try and steer the conversation in another direction. You just know where it’s heading.

16 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Good luck - working for myself is the best thing I ever did.

It's bloody fantastic.

There’s so much negativity in the world but so much of that is due to  narrow, blinkered world vision. Economic forecasts don’t take into account that the next generation may be more savvy and boot out old scrotes. They may think that ripping every penny out of poor-to-middling folk through things like utility bills to line the pockets of faceless funds isn’t a good thing. Business thrive on the drive of those behind it. Nobody would ever start a business or bother getting out of bed if they listened to every bit of doom and gloom.

19 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

No idea what area of business you're going into, but if it was me I'd be passing off a lot of that stuff to an accountant. Takes them a fraction of the time as they do it all day and worth every penny imo. When I was doing mainly self employed work I'd just hand him over a shopping bag of receipts at the end of the year and let him get on with it, only cost a few hundred. 

Got a phonecall from the doctor there at 10 past seven, giving me the results of a sputum sample I left in this week.

He's getting a prescription ordered for me tomorrow morning. A different antibiotic from the one I finished on Thursday, which was a different one from my usual one.

Pretty good service, although there's a wee niggle at the back of my head, could this not have waited till Monday?

But he's maybe the doctor on call this weekend and is just tidying up his paperwork, rather than playing GTA.