Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

18 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Remember to practice walking before going on holiday

'Merica.

Funny, I definitely recall there being taxis in Europe.

I think the daftie is saying this because seemingly it's seen as weird to walk places in America, and the infrastructure isn't often utterly absent for doing so (e.g. lack of paths and footbridges).

I walk with my big rucksack to Tesco each week to do my weekly good shop, but apparently I'd be seen as a dangerous mentalist if I did that in the US and possibly even stopped by the police (and maybe murderer by them just to be sure).

31 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Funny, I definitely recall there being taxis in Europe.

I think the daftie is saying this because seemingly it's seen as weird to walk places in America, and the infrastructure isn't often utterly absent for doing so (e.g. lack of paths and footbridges).

I walk with my big rucksack to Tesco each week to do my weekly good shop, but apparently I'd be seen as a dangerous mentalist if I did that in the US and possibly even stopped by the police (and maybe murderer by them just to be sure).

I think part of it is how cities are designed and planned in the US.  Because there's so much land to build into most cities have huge suburban sprawl and this means the distances are just too far to walk anywhere. 

Can confirm. It's common for people to park in big strip mall/retail parks and drive between the stores, even if they're just a few hundred yards apart. I've also seen myself in the position of having to run across eight or ten lane crosswalks in literally five or ten seconds, and cars do not stop for you if you get caught halfway when the lights change. You can and will also be stopped and charged with jaywalking if the polis see it happen. It would sometimes take me a full half an hour to get across the I-17 in Phoenix because the lights can take up to fifteen minutes to change, as massive priority is given to traffic.

I think walking is considered an indicator of poverty, which is probably more embarrassing to many Americans than anything else, short of being outed as a pederast or murderer. My former mother-in-law would get up early to "exercise" at her local shopping mall, which is remarkably common - go early enough and they're full of people walking around, despite the shops being closed. She'd then get back in her car and drive to work, which was less than a mile from her house.

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Can confirm. It's common for people to park in big strip mall/retail parks and drive between the stores, even if they're just a few hundred yards apart. I've also seen myself in the position of having to run across eight or ten lane crosswalks in literally five or ten seconds, and cars do not stop for you if you get caught halfway when the lights change. You can and will also be stopped and charged with jaywalking if the polis see it happen. It would sometimes take me a full half an hour to get across the I-17 in Phoenix because the lights can take up to fifteen minutes to change, as massive priority is given to traffic.

I think walking is considered an indicator of poverty, which is probably more embarrassing to many Americans than anything else, short of being outed as a pederast or murderer. My former mother-in-law would get up early to "exercise" at her local shopping mall, which is remarkably common - go early enough and they're full of people walking around, despite the shops being closed. She'd then get back in her car and drive to work, which was less than a mile from her house.

Frogger.gif

11 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Best Horace Goes Skiing GIFs | Gfycat

9 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Good attempt at an alibi/excuses Shandon, but I’ve got CID on the blower as I type this out.

Was going to strap it to the roof of the van but it looked a bit murdery so managed to fit it in the back. 

Was going to strap it to the roof of the van but it looked a bit murdery so managed to fit it in the back. 

You going to swing by the local dumping ditch with a spade or some sprawling hillsides?

Also I’m gonna have a creepy guess at the type of house/flat you live in; Georgian with high ceilings? Just going by the stairs/bannister.

8 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Also I’m gonna have a creepy guess at the type of house/flat you live in; Georgian with high ceilings? Just going by the stairs/bannister.

Oh no, that’s Gorgie. Just doing some work there.