Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

18 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Pork. Lots of pork.

That list is obviously nonsense though.

During that horse meat scandal, I seem to remember that a lot of it seemed to have come from Romania, but that they don't eat a lot of it themselves.

A quick Google reveals that their most popular dishes include cabbage rolls, beef tripe soup, and something called beef salad. Doesn't it look tasty?

salata-de-beauf.jpg

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

If Jocky Scott had become national team manager we'd have been World Champions... probably...

Only a matter of time before Scotland Gemmill gets the job.

18 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

2013 John Hughes relegates Hartlepool, 2017 John Hughes relegates Raith Rovers, 2022 John Hughes relegates Dunfermline.

His media pals still think he's a good spud because he won a cup.

Relegating Fife clubs doesn't count, though. 

Watching Das Boot on Sky atm, and having decided that U Boats appear more perilous places to be than I had assumed, googled it and found out an enormous number of them were wiped out by the Allies.

I had sort of thought that U boat hunting in them days was a bit of pot luck, and that they would have been the safest option if you had to be in the Navy.

2 hours ago, House Bartender said:

I've rediscovered my old sweet cigarette cards (and others) - here's a selection of the football ones for your entertainment (with apologies for them being a bit too England-heavy)

image.thumb.jpeg.b4b693d4e2c715a95413bd0a4e992ffa.jpeg

Oh I suppose you need the answers to the above. 

The 4 unidentified players are D Cowie; Willie Bauld; ?; Charles Tully 

image.thumb.jpeg.90c8f202dd3f51d52b30d48bfcb64c46.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f3f8ac8df83f6b97e0433465bae7eb32.jpeg

Apologies for taking over the thread, but I was a heavy pretend smoker. That's yer lot.

Stick them in the Photographic History of Scottish Football thread.

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

Stick them in the Photographic History of Scottish Football thread.

Only thought about that after the deed was done, so put a notification in there instead. Can you identify the Aberdeen player beside Charlie Tully - unluckily I don't have card 13 with the answer.

20 minutes ago, House Bartender said:

Only thought about that after the deed was done, so put a notification in there instead. Can you identify the Aberdeen player beside Charlie Tully - unluckily I don't have card 13 with the answer.

Graham Leggatt?

Or even Graham Leggat.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Sleppnig

I've got a shoebox stuffed full of cigarette cards that I rescued from the bin at work, as I couldn't bear to see them chucked out.

Unfortunately, they must have been sitting in somebody's damp garage for years, as they're all stuck together. Well, that's what I've been telling myself, anyway.

22 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Watching Das Boot on Sky atm, and having decided that U Boats appear more perilous places to be than I had assumed, googled it and found out an enormous number of them were wiped out by the Allies.

I had sort of thought that U boat hunting in them days was a bit of pot luck, and that they would have been the safest option if you had to be in the Navy.

Yeah, sabout 3 quarters of their entire personnel died. They had their 'happy times' when sinking of freight tonnage became worrisome to the British, but the British side generally stayed ahead in terms of tactics and technology. You won't find it dramatised into a mid budget oscar bait starring Benedict Cumberbatch - but the development of centimetric radar really was a massive game changer, alongside long range patrol aircraft and forward throwing ASW weapons: A depth charge would be rolled off the back of a frigate, which meant the frigate basically had to run over the U-boat's position, generating so much noise that sonar contact with the U-boat was lost, allowing the U-boat to quickly shift position during the black out window and escape. Later they had the hedgehog and finally the Squid ASW Mortar which lobbed a ring of munition a 100 metres out in front of the ship, with their depth fuses set by the ship's own sonar,  designed to detonate above and below the U-boat and crush it in a compression wave.

Most dangerous job in the Atlantic was being a merchant sailor on a tanker. Especially the ones carrying aviation fuel. Those guys got extra pay due to the extreme unliklieness of them being able to abandon ship if it were hit.