Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

been at funeral the old guy was 89, 

I was the only white man there.....the kids were pointing....I stuck this on the phone. we celebrate life where, no tears 

Edited by SlipperyP

11 hours ago, velo army said:

I'm super grateful for the support and encouragement you all gave me yesterday. It was surprising how much of an impact that had on me. One poster reached out via pm and shared something of their similar experience. I hadn't realised how much I needed that until it was received. Being an adoptee means often feeling like the perpetual outsider and completely unique (which is sometimes great, but other times has me feeling like that whale whose song can't be heard by other whales) so having someone saying "I've been there too mate, and it's ok to be terrified" was wonderfully validating. 

There wasn't much to the report. I was wanting the social background report compiled by the social worker, but I was told that will be in Elgin in their SW archives. It was fucking daunting sitting with a sealed envelope that had "on her majesty's service" stamped on it and my birth name written on it. I was in a wee room in the archive wing and it felt like I was in a spy movie. The staff are absolute pros and the lad that was with me (legally he has to be there) felt more like a counsellor than a librarian. 

The report itself told me little that was new, but it was a lovely look into the past. There was an assessment of my parents as suitable adopters, and it was moving to think of them as young, scared people who were desperate to be parents but were unable to conceive naturally. It humanised them, and I don't do that enough. 

The stuff about my biological mum was scant, but it seemed she was a woman massively out of her depth and I left just feeling a lot of compassion for her, rather than the anger I'd felt towards her before. 

Mostly what I got were next steps. I know names and dates I can use for genealogical research, so I'll be haunting libraries and church records in Elgin and Huntly for the next few months. I'm excited about that.

So aye, it was a great day yesterday, and I'm grateful to you all for the support. Greenies aren't just coloured circles either. They all add up and do have an impact.

Have a fucking beautiful day a'body.

Glad yesterday went well for you mate. Hope your research brings you further comfort and positivity.

22 hours ago, velo army said:

I'm super grateful for the support and encouragement you all gave me yesterday. It was surprising how much of an impact that had on me. One poster reached out via pm and shared something of their similar experience. I hadn't realised how much I needed that until it was received. Being an adoptee means often feeling like the perpetual outsider and completely unique (which is sometimes great, but other times has me feeling like that whale whose song can't be heard by other whales) so having someone saying "I've been there too mate, and it's ok to be terrified" was wonderfully validating. 

There wasn't much to the report. I was wanting the social background report compiled by the social worker, but I was told that will be in Elgin in their SW archives. It was fucking daunting sitting with a sealed envelope that had "on her majesty's service" stamped on it and my birth name written on it. I was in a wee room in the archive wing and it felt like I was in a spy movie. The staff are absolute pros and the lad that was with me (legally he has to be there) felt more like a counsellor than a librarian. 

The report itself told me little that was new, but it was a lovely look into the past. There was an assessment of my parents as suitable adopters, and it was moving to think of them as young, scared people who were desperate to be parents but were unable to conceive naturally. It humanised them, and I don't do that enough. 

The stuff about my biological mum was scant, but it seemed she was a woman massively out of her depth and I left just feeling a lot of compassion for her, rather than the anger I'd felt towards her before. 

Mostly what I got were next steps. I know names and dates I can use for genealogical research, so I'll be haunting libraries and church records in Elgin and Huntly for the next few months. I'm excited about that.

So aye, it was a great day yesterday, and I'm grateful to you all for the support. Greenies aren't just coloured circles either. They all add up and do have an impact.

Have a fucking beautiful day a'body.

Excellent to read this. Happy that you got some answers and some more to look up. Can't imagine what it has been like, but sounds like this is a good start towards a resolution.

Also, isn't @Melanius Mullarkay from Elgin? Imagine if he was your biological old man...

Heir to a cement baron! 

Edited by DA Baracus

29 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Excellent to read this. Happy that you got some answers and some more to look up. Can't imagine what it has been like, but sounds like this is a good start towards a resolution.

Also, isn't @Melanius Mullarkay from Elgin? Imagine if he was your biological old man...

Heir to a cement baron! 

Does Velo have a fondness for Mushroom suppers?

Edited by Stellaboz

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I just had a sausage and egg muffin from Tim Hortons.

Absolute shite, and if the McDonalds one was a 10/10 (it is) then this shite is a 3 at best.

Honestly don't know how Tim Horton's has been so successful. Their offerings are almost universally awful.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Heir to a cement baron! 

I might just start to refer to him as Uncle Melanius henceforth.

Deep fried mushrooms are ace, so their may be something in that 🙃.

Thanks man.