Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

12 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Not as much now, I think it was because league was professional and union amateur. Also a class divide, again league very much a northern working class sport while union was for posh boys. 

Although it's "northernness" is relative to London. At top level it's basically played between different junctions of the M62. in the north of "The north" union take precedence. The north east regional league covers the area between Teeside and the border and it needs Edinburgh and Glasgow to pad that out to 12 teams. 

The divide between professional and amateur made for an inevitable class difference, but it was only inevitable at the top level of the gamefor the few players that people would pay good money to see. For the game in general it meant that Rugby League developed as a commercial attraction in competition with Football while early Rugby Union was developed principally as a game for players as opposed to spectators which is why it's a lot harder to argue that Rugby League is better to play than to argue that it is better to watch.

Although people from Hull might still try to persuade you of both

31 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Although it's "northernness" is relative to London.

This really bugs me. Places like Sheffield claiming to be Northern.

s.png

If the UK was a body, Sheffield would be the belly button. Even taking Scotland out of it, it's barely in the top half.

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

s.png

If the UK was a body, Sheffield would be the belly button. Even taking Scotland out of it, it's barely in the top half.

I live near Birmingham and have met a few folk from around London who are under the impression that they now live in the North.

s.png

Mind you given that we struggle to agree on quite what constitutes “The Highlands” we’re not in a great position to criticise our English friends

14 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

I've a story about rugby that will bore the tits off most, but here goes.

I lived in Australia as a youngster and played all sports, rugby (league), soccer, cricket and swimming, all at decent level as a bairn.

Then moved back to Scotland. Rugby at high school for the first time for many, but not myself. I was the Maradona. So much so, I was sent off in a game against Dunfermline High for unsporting conduct. 

I was taking the piss,  I just stood under the posts, until someone came to to tackle then put the ball down. By the forth try the Dunfy boys had gave up and didn't come back. So I stood until the ref (our PE teacher) blew and told me to stop taking the pishe. I never touched it down and just kicked into the trees.

Sent off and was told in the dressing room  by him, that's your last game if you keep that pishe up. 'this game is for gentleman'.

Kept on picking me for all sports, even though I kept on doing.

We then went to play Waid Academy (posh boys). That said PE teacher was on the side-lines creaming his puff as I controlled the game. Only scored 2 try but kick about 4 drop kicks. (First time our school ever been them).  

I had a similar one when we were playing Bellbaxter. Scored about 3 tries then for the 4th I was well clear and blew a raspberry at the guy trying to catch me. Ref gave a penalty for "ungentlemanly conduct" and gave me a bollocking. 

Waid humped us though, c***s. Same with Buckhaven. We were skinny wee 13 year olds, their team came out twice our size and sporting moustaches. 

22 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

I had a similar one when we were playing Bellbaxter. Scored about 3 tries then for the 4th I was well clear and blew a raspberry at the guy trying to catch me. Ref gave a penalty for "ungentlemanly conduct" and gave me a bollocking. 

Waid humped us though, c***s. Same with Buckhaven. We were skinny wee 13 year olds, their team came out twice our size and sporting moustaches. 

It's ironic all this "ungentlemanly conduct" shite when I remember a rugby playing workmate's tales of fruit knives in socks and pagars on the pitch.

It's like being taught Queensberry rules and then being told about a typical Saturday night in Good Companions, Oxgangs.

16 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Steal the c***s ladder.

I didn't know who this guy was so I looked him up on Wikipedia. Turns out he had sex with his daughters, his sisters and even his dog. 🤮

Even Prince Andrew never shagged the corgis (so far as we know).