Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

That commentary is tremendous. Most ragingly biased chat I've heard since tapping in to a The Rangers stream when they played us.

Do rugby league and union people still utterly despise each other? I had two teachers at school who went off on obscene homophobic rants about the other type of rugby (no idea which one was their code of choice).

35 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I've just been down a youtube wormhole, listening to classic TV themes.

I'm sure I've said this before, but ALL sport shown on the BBC on a Saturday should be introduced with the Grandstand theme.

Elite level TV theme tune IMVHO. See also Ski Sunday and Wimbledon.

14 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I've just been down a youtube wormhole, listening to classic TV themes.

I'm sure I've said this before, but ALL sport shown on the BBC on a Saturday should be introduced with the Grandstand theme.

This version for any hour-long cricket slot:

image.png.0331cf3d2e5e3835e39dc0f1caa9983c.png

^^^ this boie in the middle gets it.

Edited by Hedgecutter

11 hours ago, BFTD said:

That commentary is tremendous. Most ragingly biased chat I've heard since tapping in to a The Rangers stream when they played us.

Do rugby league and union people still utterly despise each other? I had two teachers at school who went off on obscene homophobic rants about the other type of rugby (no idea which one was their code of choice).

Not as much now, I think it was because league was professional and union amateur. Also a class divide, again league very much a northern working class sport while union was for posh boys. 

8 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Not as much now, I think it was because league was professional and union amateur. Also a class divide, again league very much a northern working class sport while union was for posh boys. 

That was the reason.

Football could have gone the same way, the original professional teams were all from the north of England, and a working class supported sport..

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

That was the reason.

Football could have gone the same way, the original professional teams were all from the north of England, and a working class supported sport..

I've a story about rugby that will bore the tits off most, but here goes.

I lived in Australia as a youngster and played all sports, rugby (league), soccer, cricket and swimming, all at decent level as a bairn.

Then moved back to Scotland. Rugby at high school for the first time for many, but not myself. I was the Maradona. So much so, I was sent off in a game against Dunfermline High for unsporting conduct. 

I was taking the piss,  I just stood under the posts, until someone came to to tackle then put the ball down. By the forth try the Dunfy boys had gave up and didn't come back. So I stood until the ref (our PE teacher) blew and told me to stop taking the pishe. I never touched it down and just kicked into the trees.

Sent off and was told in the dressing room  by him, that's your last game if you keep that pishe up. 'this game is for gentleman'.

Kept on picking me for all sports, even though I kept on doing.

We then went to play Waid Academy (posh boys). That said PE teacher was on the side-lines creaming his puff as I controlled the game. Only scored 2 try but kick about 4 drop kicks. (First time our school ever been them).  

8 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

The posh/pleb thing wasn't universal. I think the governance of Union was indeed by the old school ties but for large parts of the country it was a working person's game. 

I live in South Wales and the Valleys communities all centred around the rugby clubs. I don't think posh people are allowed in the Valleys and they're certainly not allowed out alive. 

South West England is very similar. 

36 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The posh/pleb thing wasn't universal. I think the governance of Union was indeed by the old school ties but for large parts of the country it was a working person's game. 

I live in South Wales and the Valleys communities all centred around the rugby clubs. I don't think posh people are allowed in the Valleys and they're certainly not allowed out alive. 

South West England is very similar. 

You are correct, that the welsh took as a game for all. Reason they have shite fitba until now.

ETA - welsh union player were also look down on when they took 'the wage' and join league

Edited by SlipperyP