Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

On 16/10/2021 at 14:07, Paul Kersey said:

I enjoy looking at random places around the world on Google maps and Street view. I just looked Keith (the town in Moray , not some random fellah called Keith) and was surprised to see that it is a near perfect grid of streets, more like an American city than a small teuchter settlement.

Screenshot_20211016-140022.thumb.png.67cc74f4e2b32e52949dcb1c4e766ad6.png

There are a rake of cool street lanes there, ploomans Lane, soodgers Lane, etc etc all In the local vernacular 

Getting things to run Doom is a hello world of sorts albeit a way more bloody & gorey one. You can now add twitter itself to the list of things that can run doom.

Are you bored, sitting in some waiting room? Maybe, instead of just doing nothing you want to play some Doom? Well you could download the fantastic mobile ports of Doom or play it on Switch. Or, why not play Doom using Twitter via short commands and videos?

Tweet2Doom is a new Twitter bot that started up in September of this year and which lets folks play through the original game using a series of commands. Those commands are translated to the bot and you are sent back a video showing you what happened, then you can continue to send more commands and progress through levels. The full list of commands and how it works can be found in this pinned tweet from the account.

It’s almost like a turn-based spin on the classic id shooter. (Which also already exists.)

Okay, so this is far from the most elegant or useful port of Doom, but it yet one more step in the continuing journey for humankind to make Doom playable on anything and everything ever created.

And it shouldn’t surprise you that someone has already set a respectably fast completion time for the first, iconic level of Doom. According to the bot, one user used just two tweets to beat E1M1 in 11 seconds or less than 500 frames of gameplay.

If you follow the account, not only will you get tweets whenever people set new records or beat levels quickly, but you’ll also get to see random collections of people just screwing around with Tweet2Doom. Honestly, it’s almost more enjoyable watching people spam nonsense and random commands at the bot in the vein hope of perhaps making progress. Instead, the Doom marine just looks drunk.

Tweet2Doom now joins a long and ever-growing list of “Ways To Play Doom.” That list includes a pregnancy test, unreleased indie console, cash registers and much, much more.

3 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Getting things to run Doom is a hello world of sorts albeit a way more bloody & gorey one. You can now add twitter itself to the list of things that can run doom.

I've had Doom uploaded to my occipital lobe. Runs surprisingly well on a forty-odd year old platform.

I'm compelled to recommend Doom RPG and DoomRL, if anyone fancies a different kind of turn-based Doom. Both very good, although you might struggle to run the former on a modern phone/tablet.