Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

8 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

First time for me. Started with a loud rumble, thought at first it was a massive truck in the street. Then the whole house started shaking, glasses and plates rattling around in the cupboard. Lasted about 30 seconds. No damage done but livened up the morning. 

Epicentre was about 120 km away. Christ knows what it would be like sitting on top of one.

Any P'n'Ber's experienced a major seismic event?

I was about 25km from the epicentre of this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_August_2018_Lombok_earthquake

For my honeymoon we travelled to various parts of Indonesia (lovely place btw). Our final stop was in Lombok.

Had a great wee day, I took a kayak out on the water, sat on the private beach scudding Corona. It was the perfect day. Sitting at dinner with my new wife, behind her was the main swimming pool. I all of a sudden notice the water swishing out of the pool, and before I can comprehend what is happening the place is shaking like mental, stuff falling everywhere and people sprinting out into open space.

With no electricity, phone signal and in complete darkness, we ran around in a state of complete panic until we managed to find someone from the hotel. They very kindly informed us that there was a tsunami warning and we needed to be at least 2km in land. Unfortunately the hotel was about 500m from the coast and the road had been destroyed. Also as it was complete darkness so you couldn't see two feet in front of you. So we basically waited for the water to come....

About an hour passed and nothing happened. Someone from the hotel managed to lead us to a people carrier which crammed about 20 people into it, and we were taken to higher ground, where we basically sat outside all night. I tried to get some sleep but the constant tremors and resulting screaming from the locals meant it was not a good night's kip. In the morning the carted away a load of people who had died from their injuries through the night.

The next day we were managed to get to the airport, which was absolute bedlam with people trying to leave the island. We still has another 48 hours before our flight to the final leg of the trip, which was Singapore. Eventually we made it to Singapore, determined to enjoy which was left of our honeymoon.

In Singapore we both got food poisoning so spent the final 3 days shitting/spewing constantly. 

I don't think I'll be visiting Indonesia again.

I'm sure there was a thread for baby names on here once

These are some of the baby name trends predicted for 2022 / Twitter

After months of boredom during the pandemic, fun will play a role in upcoming baby names. 1. Bear 2. Birdie 3. Dovie 4. Iggy 5. Pixie

After being confined for such a long period during lockdown, the platform suggests we’ll be turning to exotic locations and wild landscapes for inspiration. 1. Horizon 2. Koa 3. Lotus 4. Prairie 5. Woods

We’ve already seen a few Brighton-inspired baby names this year, but the regency names @nameberry expects to see include: 1. Benedict 2. Cressida 3. Daphne 4. Eloise 5. Francesca

‘S-ending baby names feel so much fresher in 2022 than N, R, A, and even O in the final spot – and not just for boys,’ says @nameberry. 1. Ames 2. Emrys 3. Lois 4. Ozias 5. Wells

@nameberry says simple, sunny names are set to be a hit as they transport people back to the gingham-soaked 1950s and offer a nostalgic element. Here are some they expect to see: 1. Betty 2. Bobby 3. Mae 4. Ned 5. Nellie

We’re moving on from tributes to musical legends (such as Marley, Bowie and Freddie), and embracing more technical and instrumental ones. 1. Calypso 2. Chord 3. Drummer 4. Madrigal 5. Rhythm

Punchy ‘R’ names Short baby names are punchy and memorable – and Nameberry predicts that unisex ‘R’ names are likely to be on the rise next year. Here are a few to keep your eyes peeled for: 1. Reeve 2. Revel 3. Reign 4. Rome 5. Roux

4 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I'm sure there was a thread for baby names on here once

These are some of the baby name trends predicted for 2022 / Twitter

After months of boredom during the pandemic, fun will play a role in upcoming baby names. 1. Bear 2. Birdie 3. Dovie 4. Iggy 5. Pixie

After being confined for such a long period during lockdown, the platform suggests we’ll be turning to exotic locations and wild landscapes for inspiration. 1. Horizon 2. Koa 3. Lotus 4. Prairie 5. Woods

We’ve already seen a few Brighton-inspired baby names this year, but the regency names @nameberry expects to see include: 1. Benedict 2. Cressida 3. Daphne 4. Eloise 5. Francesca

‘S-ending baby names feel so much fresher in 2022 than N, R, A, and even O in the final spot – and not just for boys,’ says @nameberry. 1. Ames 2. Emrys 3. Lois 4. Ozias 5. Wells

@nameberry says simple, sunny names are set to be a hit as they transport people back to the gingham-soaked 1950s and offer a nostalgic element. Here are some they expect to see: 1. Betty 2. Bobby 3. Mae 4. Ned 5. Nellie

We’re moving on from tributes to musical legends (such as Marley, Bowie and Freddie), and embracing more technical and instrumental ones. 1. Calypso 2. Chord 3. Drummer 4. Madrigal 5. Rhythm

Punchy ‘R’ names Short baby names are punchy and memorable – and Nameberry predicts that unisex ‘R’ names are likely to be on the rise next year. Here are a few to keep your eyes peeled for: 1. Reeve 2. Revel 3. Reign 4. Rome 5. Roux

Some countries used to have a list of approved names and you couldn't register your infant with anything that wasn't on the list.

I'm warming to this idea.

Some countries used to have a list of approved names and you couldn't register your infant with anything that wasn't on the list.
Some still do.

When Albania dropped that requirement at the end of communism everyone went a bit crazy. That's how I knew three Klinsmanns and a Maldini.

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Illegal baby names in the UK
  • Martian.
  • Monkey.
  • Chow Tow (which means 'Smelly Head')
  • Rogue.
  • Akuma (in Japanese it mean 'Devil'

other countries here https://closeronline.co.uk/family/news/baby-names-rules-illegal-confirmed/

Edited by SlipperyP

1 minute ago, buchan30 said:

"an elite paratrooper, a soccer player, a wanted bank robber, a guerrilla leader, a gold baron and a father to at least 50 children during his lifetime."

Sounds like a great guy to go for a pint with

On 22/09/2021 at 14:17, Arabdownunder said:

First time for me. Started with a loud rumble, thought at first it was a massive truck in the street. Then the whole house started shaking, glasses and plates rattling around in the cupboard. Lasted about 30 seconds. No damage done but livened up the morning. 

Epicentre was about 120 km away. Christ knows what it would be like sitting on top of one.

Any P'n'Ber's experienced a major seismic event?

We have them quite often but mostly in the below 3 range.  The ones we have tend to be more like a soft wave than the violent shaking.  At first they were nauseating like travel sickness but I've gotten used to them.  We've never had any damage.  In Hong Kong we had a couple of noticeable ones where the furniture moved away from the walls but luckily nothing worse given the number of very tall buildings there. One was quite strange in that it seemed like the whole building had jumped up and down - I suppose that was the effect of the earthquake protection they have in buildings there.

2 hours ago, buchan30 said:

And he decided one of the first things he’d do in his position of power was to buy a football club - Inter Moengotapoe. Incidentally, the side one of his sons plays for.

We say ‘one of his sons’ because, according to a New York Times profile, he has “at least 50 children.”

Spoiler

http://24.media.tumblr.com/fe5632d439d5caa423af4e87f462eb45/tumblr_mvwawpWUWW1sdf5qdo1_400.gif