Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

2 hours ago, throbber said:

Surely the fact he lived for 32 years after means he technically survived the disaster? He wasn’t on a life support machine like the 96th victim.

Yup, thought if you batter someone and they die a year and a day later from their injuries, you can't get done for murder.

38 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Yup, thought if you batter someone and they die a year and a day later from their injuries, you can't get done for murder.

Exactly what I argued in court.

On 29/07/2021 at 14:39, GordonS said:

Scottish bike racer Christina Mackenzie is trying to break the women's record time for Land's End - John O'Groats. 52 hours, 45 minutes, 11 seconds.

She's at Crawford right now, just south of Abington. You can trace here route and see her location here. https://live.opentracking.co.uk/lejogcm21/?v=qpLIYwuUIe

Give her a wave if she passes.

https://twitter.com/Lejogmack

She absolutely smashed the record, taking more than 90 minutes off it.

Mind-blowing stuff, IMO it beats almost every achievement at the Olympics.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

No, that rule is long gone.

It had become ridiculously outdated as medical science improved and people were able to survive with catastrophic injuries for a long time. 

ETA The reason he's the 97th victim is because he died of injuries sustained at Hillsborough and not of any other cause.

Edited by GordonS

7 minutes ago, GordonS said:

It had become ridiculously outdated as medical science improved and people were able to survive with catastrophic injuries for a long time. 

ETA The reason he's the 97th victim is because he died of injuries sustained at Hillsborough and not of any other cause.

When John Hinckley shot Ronald Reagan, he also hit the White House Press Secretary James Brady, who was permanently disabled by the wound.  He died in 2014 and the death was ruled a homicide, 33 years after the fact.  Didn't make any difference to Hinckley, he was already guilty - he got out a few years ago I believe.

17 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I just remember it from the Great Train Robbery where a guard got whacked with an iron bar and died a year later, glad to hear it's changed.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I just remember it from the Great Train Robbery where a guard got whacked with an iron bar and died a year later, glad to hear it's changed.

He died seven years later of cancer but never recovered from his injuries.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If he had died at the time, I doubt the robbers would have enjoyed all their years of celebrity with TV shows and movies made about them. Sadly the guard who died was quietly forgotten in the "diamond geezer" narrative that followed them.

19 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

When John Hinckley shot Ronald Reagan, he also hit the White House Press Secretary James Brady, who was permanently disabled by the wound.  He died in 2014 and the death was ruled a homicide, 33 years after the fact.  Didn't make any difference to Hinckley, he was already guilty - he got out a few years ago I believe.

I realised that I knew nothing about that assassination attempt so had a fun wee time reading about it.

Turns out Brady's death didn't matter for Hinckley because he was found not guilty, on account of insanity. The Americans, in typically measured fashion, responded to the verdict in his case by rolling back insanity as a defence, with some states removing it altogether. So you can be done for crimes in the US even if you're completely round the twist. Aye, that makes sense.

Hinckley now has a YouTube channel. I don't think I'm fully prepared to live in a time in which a guy who shot the most powerful person in the world performs original indie ballads for our pleasure.

The comments are what you'd expect.

"Thanks for all your support.  I really feel like I've moved on and am ready to make a positive contribution to societey.  And now, my new single - I Love Jodie Foster So Much I'm Going To Shoot Joe Biden"

Now my hope is that, 20 years from now, some other 42-year-old bobsledder doesn’t have to talk about the handful of friends they’ve had to bury. And, you know, that’s not a very high bar. But, ultimately, it’s really tough because you’re talking about people who are the most obsessive, focused individuals on the planet.

That's from a really interesting, well-written article about elite athletes and mental issues. Well worth five minutes of your time.
https://davidepstein.com/getting-over-gold-athletes-and-mental-health-2/