Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

20 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

To be fair, its a bit stupid going paddling/swimming with a broken leg and a bad case of club foot.

Especially if your mum took thalidomide during pregnancy and you were James Forrest. 

Okay, I understand all of that except the last bit.

22 hours ago, Snafu said:

Anyone with a Tesco Bank account, they have decided to close down all accounts end of November.

Better grab yer money

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jul/26/tesco-bank-to-close-all-current-accounts-from-end-of-november

Thanks for that I've been with them since the 3% days, gbnf sweet prince x

In that abroad, they often have wee gravestones at the side of mountain roads where somebody has driven off the side and died. They serve as useful reminders to slow the f**k down. Maybe wherever folk drown in lochs we could put a floating gravestone, like a grim buoy, to let people know that swimming here is a bad idea.  Get the families of the dead to pay for sponsor them. 

21 hours ago, BFTD said:

Don't the Scandis have a tradition of spending time in the sauna, then leaping straight into freezing water? Think the Romans did something similar at the bath houses. Vaguely remember they think it's good for your health.

Assuming you survive, of course.

I do the hot pool/cold pool thing whenever I get the chance to go to a thermal spa. Supposedly good for your metabolism. The water isn’t particularly deep mind you, generally chest high at most.

44 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I do the hot pool/cold pool thing whenever I get the chance to go to a thermal spa. Supposedly good for your metabolism. The water isn’t particularly deep mind you, generally chest high at most.

Tell that to Warwick Davis.

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

The problem with "it's parents' job" is this:

What if the parents never learned to swim?

What if the parents come from a community in which nobody swims?

Fk them kids?

If we only did things that worked on bukcie'd up 17 yr olds we'd never do anything. That's not exactly a great way of addressing public policy.

I specifically said, " the signs will do nothing for the daft kids but it might save some more sensible people." 

As parents, we all have things we can't do ourselves. I can't climb or cartwheel but one my kids has done upto level 4 nicas and another cartwheels rather than walk. Therefore not being able to swim isn't an out here, send kids to swimming lessons.

Schools simply don't have the access to enough swimming lesson time to teach kids to swim. 

As parents, we all have things we can't do ourselves. I can't climb or cartwheel but one my kids has done upto level 4 nicas and another cartwheels rather than walk. Therefore not being able to swim isn't an out here, send kids to swimming lessons.
Schools simply don't have the access to enough swimming lesson time to teach kids to swim. 
That's not how life works. Here's an example - I didn't know that schools give individual music lessons, and for free. I knew one person who got music lessons when I was at school, in trumbone, and I assumed that was some special, paid-for thing. She was from a family I thought of as rich but now realise would be regarded as lower middle class. It never occurred to me that there could be things like that for people like us and nobody told us about it.

My kids only got music lessons because my wife got them when she was growing up. It would never even have occurred to me.

If you lived in a low income migrant community, came from a country they didn't have swimming pools, had never set foot in a swimming pool in your life and didn't know people who had, how likely is it you would send your kids to swimming lessons?

For the most part we all do what we see other people like us doing.

1 hour ago, RH33 said:

Therefore not being able to swim isn't an out here, send kids to swimming lessons.

We regularly get children who have been booked in for swimming lessons by parents who can’t swim. The parents’ inability to swim makes it more likely that the children have never been in a swimming pool in their life. This is especially true recently as lockdowns have meant pools have been closed, or only allowing limited numbers access, for over a year. 
If you turn up and hand your child, who has never been in a pool, over to a complete stranger for a swimming lesson, then about 80% of the time that child won’t get in the water. Of those 80%, about half won’t even leave their parent’s side to go on poolside. 
A child’s first experience in a swimming pool needs to be with an adult they know and trust in the water with them.

We also need to separate out learning to swim and teaching the dangers of swimming in unsafe places.

As a child, I had this advert that made it abundantly clear why you didn’t go swimming in quarries, canals, etc.

My reasons for wanting to learn to swim were somewhat less honourable…

I didn’t want to keep losing my bird!

In fairness I hadn't thought about it like that. My lot were all in small group lessons by 3. My youngest before that and still can't swim at 8. Went to 1:2 lessons with just her and her sister but still nope. Hundreds of pounds later 🙈 and probable dyspraxia diagnosis under way.

Either was though, educating about water safety can't solely be placed at schools door.

1 hour ago, Funky Nosejob said:

We regularly get children who have been booked in for swimming lessons by parents who can’t swim. The parents’ inability to swim makes it more likely that the children have never been in a swimming pool in their life. This is especially true recently as lockdowns have meant pools have been closed, or only allowing limited numbers access, for over a year. 
If you turn up and hand your child, who has never been in a pool, over to a complete stranger for a swimming lesson, then about 80% of the time that child won’t get in the water. Of those 80%, about half won’t even leave their parent’s side to go on poolside. 
A child’s first experience in a swimming pool needs to be with an adult they know and trust in the water with them.

We also need to separate out learning to swim and teaching the dangers of swimming in unsafe places.

As a child, I had this advert that made it abundantly clear why you didn’t go swimming in quarries, canals, etc.

My reasons for wanting to learn to swim were somewhat less honourable…

I didn’t want to keep losing my bird!

There also used to be an information film regarding swimming where Rolf Harris said he fell in the river in Australia when he was 3 and "somehow I managed to scramble to the bank".

Hmm...

28 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

There also used to be an information film regarding swimming where Rolf Harris said he fell in the river in Australia when he was 3 and "somehow I managed to scramble to the bank".

Hmm...

Rolf Harris did an information film for kids in the 1980s on how to avoid getting molested. 

16 hours ago, Ross. said:

Too deep for Bairnardo then